Gibson Brands Forums

Clapton on "Later with Jools Holland"

pippy

EC was on the prog. last night to plug his new album 'Clapton' (snappy title, no?).

Nothing terribly new so far.

His choice of instruments, however, was surprising.

For his first number he played a Les Paul (it looked like an R9) and for his second he had what I think was a single p-90 equipped L-5CES. Not a Strat in sight...

For anyone in the UK who might be interested in catching him in the act there will be the full hour-long programme this coming Friday from 23.50. Last night's edition was the short, 30 min one and it seems likely Slowhand will have at least one more track in the longer show.

P.

For his first number he played a Les Paul (it looked like an R9) and for his second he had what I think was a single p-90 equipped L-5CES. Not a Strat in sight...

What? Now I really need to see this. Might induce a few cartwheels.

I thought the Les Paul sounded dead and muddy.

Neck pickup, finger picking, and a lot of dirt. I think it's some of the best sound Clapton has had in a while. Very sonic. Reminds me of Neil Young as opposed to the pedestrian vomit of pop blues played on a Strat.

EC was on the prog. last night to plug his new album 'Clapton' (snappy title, no?).

Nothing terribly new so far.

His choice of instruments, however, was surprising.

For anyone in the UK who might be interested in catching him in the act there will be the full hour-long programme this coming Friday from 23.50. Last night's edition was the short, 30 min one and it seems likely Slowhand will have at least one more track in the longer show.

P.

I caught the last 2 seconds, literally.

Was it his Byrdland perhaps? Saw him last year at The Royal Albert Hall and he used a Byrdland on a few songs.

Taping it tomorrow night. Out gigging.

Was it his Byrdland perhaps? Saw him last year at The Royal Albert Hall and he used a Byrdland on a few songs.

I don't really know my Arch- from my elbow but the tailpiece was more L5 than Byrd'.

It might have been an L5C with the P-90 added later.

Where's L5 Larry when you need him! LOL!

Have fun at the gig, AJ.

P.

I don't really know my Arch- from my elbow but the tailpiece was more L5 than Byrd'.

It might have been an L5C with the P-90 added later.

Where's L5 Larry when you need him! LOL!

Have fun at the gig, AJ.

P.

Found the brochure from the gig just now. The Byrdland has 2 P90s in the photos provided. Otherwise, looks identical, even down to the headstock.

Yep, Larry will solve the mystery no doubt.

Lovely tone on it, whatever it was.

Has he signed a new endorsement deal with Gibson, I have just watched tonights show, and on top of the Les paul and jazzbox he has now used an ES335 for crossroads. [thumbup] Great sound, he must be really getting back to his roots with all those Gibsons.

Archived