Gibson Brands Forums

Your First Gibson Guitar Or Bass

MrNylon

My first Gibson was a Lespaul std bought in 1995, I had just started my first job (and my first salary).

I have kept it for 1 week [unsure] and change it for an ESP M2 Custom because I was really in Metallica music in these times and like I am always saying the LesPaul is my best friend and my worst enemy. I found them so difficult to play!

But now that I am definitively in Blues music, I love my LesPaul Custom (but my prefered one is my SG std [thumbup])

My first Gibson was a surprise birthday present from wife believe it or not.

She bought me a lovelly 95 LP Studio. Unfortunately as I am more into acoustics I didnt really appreciate it as much as I should.

For me the defining Gibson 'first purchase' was when I bought my 69 C&W Acoustic in NYC earlier this year which really hit the message home that I now part of the club. Its still the best strummer Ive come across and Ive played a few.

Always puts a smile on my face when I look at it :-)

I still own both and have no intention of selling.

How do you like the Frontman 212--i have 1 and like it--i also have a twin reverb reissue that rocks

It's funny you should mention that amp, I'm actually planning to trade it for Vox Amp this evening. The 212R is a fine amp for clean sounds, patricularly good for my Strat and Tele, but not very good when you're looking for something a bit "dirtier". My Les Paul sounds terrible through it so I bought a Marshall MG100HDFX head and cab which is a great all-rounder. I was so impressed by the Marshall that I wanted something easlier to transport to small band practices so that is why I've decided to trade the 212R for a Vox Valvetronix amp, which like the Marshall, is good at most things clean and dirty. I will in the future be looking to acquire a Fender Tube amp. something like a Hot Rod deville, some day. :)

It was in the early '80s (82 I think).

It was a 'mid-70s LP Custom in Clownburst. It was awful. I kept it a few weeks thinking I would get the hang of it but it was, unfortunately, one of the Norlin dogs.

Rather stupidly I let it put me off for Gibson for many, many years. Even second-hand Les Pauls were ridiculously expensive in the UK and I felt I'd been let down.

It was, of course, all my own fault for trusting the name on the headstock rather than my hands and ears.

P.

Archived