Gibson Brands Forums

Under apreciated guitar brands.

Thundergod

What brands do you use that are under apreciated by the market?

I love the boss sd1 (the super overdrive) and most people think really low of boss, but IMO they are budget pedals that just won't break no matter what (and wont put a hole in your pocket). While lots of new users think high of boss, most experienced guys think it's junk. Same goes for Electro Harmonix.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Washburn, they have a few guitars in their line right now which are really good, the older washburns are ever better!

Orville by Gibson, they need more love.

Id also like to vote for Boss, they make great stuff if you dont wana buy the botique or higher end stuff.

A few more im sure others will list.

What brands do you use that are under apreciated by the market?

I love the boss sd1 (the super overdrive) and most people think really low of boss, but IMO they are budget pedals that just won't break no matter what (and wont put a hole in your pocket). While lots of new users think high of boss, most experienced guys think it's junk. Same goes for Electro Harmonix.

By "under-appreciated" do you mean those things that work well but are looked down upon by folks with more money than sense?

I have a way-old (mid-late '70s) Ross combo pedal (fuzz and flanger) that kicks a$$, but it doesn't have an artsy-fartsy paint job. My friends say they hate it, but they all want it.

I built a BYOC tubescreamer copy. It's great, too, but I didn't paint it. Again, friends hate it, but they all want it.

Guitars? Shoot, if it's not shiny, it ain't shlt. Just ask.

That having been said, I can't figure out why those Chinese Epis look so darn good and cost so little.

Golly - a Gibson LP with that kind of finish can set you back thousands.

Hondo and JB Player come to mind. Korean and Chinese respectively. So does my Kentucky mandolin, because it is also made in China and therefore must suck mightily.

/shrug I love my Boss gear and think it's top of the line. Conversely, I'm not real big on a lot of the boutique stuff. I've tried them and they just don't do much for me.

Schecter... a guy came with one, it said "diamond series - USA" I don't know if it was made in the US or just assembled there, but the guitar was really great, a true player and had (stock) coil splitting in a push pull knob. I think the guitar was amazing and the guy said he paid around 700 for her. The locking tremolo was a floyd rose (said "original floyd rose") which really surprised me at the price... the trem on the gibson axcess is a "licensed floyd rose" trem. [cursing]

Well, I sometimes can't tell when people here are joking,

or if they're really serious...but I think, personally,

Epiphone doesn't get the respect it should. For their price

point, they're pretty amazing guitars...IMHO. I remember

when I first got my Riviera P-93LE, when they first came out,

I took it out of the box, it was still pretty much in tune,

and I looked it over, carefully, plugged it in, and wailed away.

I thought..."HOW do they make this nice of a guitar, for THAT price?!!"

Just bought a "Inspired By" "Texan," with electronics, which is

a complete "steal" at that price. It looks, and sounds amazing,

and plays really well, too.

The other brands, already mentioned, are pretty impressive, as well.

I LOVE my Gibby's, no doubt about it...but, my Epiphones get as much

playing time, anymore...especially in bars/small clubs. If I lose one, God fobid...

it's not the financial disaster, that losing one of my Gibson's would be,

and they sound and play great, anyway. So...???

CB

Schecter... a guy came with one, it said "diamond series - USA" I don't know if it was made in the US or just assembled there, but the guitar was really great, a true player and had (stock) coil splitting in a push pull knob. I think the guitar was amazing and the guy said he paid around 700 for her. The locking tremolo was a floyd rose (said "original floyd rose") which really surprised me at the price... the trem on the gibson axcess is a "licensed floyd rose" trem. [cursing]

Part of me wants to get a guitar for drop tunings, Schecters are great for the money. Almost all have coil splitting and high quality parts.

Well, I sometimes can't tell when people here are joking,

or if there're really serious...

LOL. No doubt, CB. Between the likes of Godin, Schecter, Takamine, Carvin & Gretsch, I was starting to wonder if you guys were being serious. I mean, I've always though those to be fairly highly appreciated guitars. Seagull, I can definately agree with. Very good guitars that dont get the recognition they deserve. Another good one is Breedlove. An ex-bandmate has one. Very nice and easy to play. Sounds great too.

Nowadays and even back in the olden days?

Yeah, I think Epi is probably among the most under-rated brands anywhere, any time. They make thousands of guitars of all sorts that are, for where they're set in the marketplace, exceptional.

Yet "we" have a tendency to think they're largely Gibson's own third-rate copy spinoff. That, I think, is a horrid error. BTW, I just got a Dot and a little "cheapie" package "parlor" A-E epi. Both are head and shoulders over anything I've seen that supposedly compete with 'em. The Dot ain't a 335, and I'd happily accept a 335. But I'm not sure I'd wanna swap a Dot I've kinda bonded with for a 335 without a shot at playing it. <grin>

It ain't around now in the way it was in the 50s and 60s at least, but some of the old Harmony stuff, overengineered as it was, was well worth the cash and yet it also was considered "crap" by the "in" people because it wasn't... whatever it is that teenage mentalities (even if they're 50 years old) considered cool. In retrospect that was pretty dumb.

Oh - Martins? To me the sound is gorgeous if you like heavier gauge strings than I wanna use, and an odd neck shape. I've never had one, nor a copy, nor interest in either.

m

Archived