Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul Prototype?

rd_artist

I was watching some videos of Les Paul and Mary Ford on youtube and I noticed that the Les Pauls that both of them were playing were peculiar, it looked like the was a master tone and volume knob, the output jack was on the front of the guitar and the bridge pickup on Mary's guitar seemed to have a large space cut out. I was wondering if any of the historians had any info and possibly pictures of these guitars.

I was watching some videos of Les Paul and Mary Ford on youtube and I noticed that the Les Pauls that both of them were playing were peculiar, it looked like the was a master tone and volume knob, the output jack was on the front of the guitar and the bridge pickup on Mary's guitar seemed to have a large space cut out. I was wondering if any of the historians had any info and possibly pictures of these guitars.

The Les Paul Legacy Book 1 reveals a lot of details about the Les Paul guitar genesis with tons of pictures and geek details.

According to this book, the neck pickup on Mary Ford's Goldtop was a DeArmond Gretsch Dynasonic.

D'you have links of the vids you're talking about?

Here are some pics for reference, that shows Les Paul had several prototypes he mod.

A1HlnhNakfL._SL600_.jpg

adventuresinthevastwastelandmaryand.jpg

les_3.jpg

6334_125019883015.jpg

BTW, In the same book, there are some pictures of one of the earliest LP prototype with a different neck joint and a florentine cutaway.

Thanks again, cosmitron.

Wonderful stuff. I'll download the images and have a good read through the text when I have some down-time.

I'm slightly puzzled by that particular 'burst-finished guitar but I'm sure all will be revealed in the fullness of time!

Cheers!

P.

• 8 years later...

Dot fret markers, pointed horn, no rear switch mount hole or cover, catilevered body over neck heel, to name a few differences! I can't believe anyone would have altered this guitar from its original specs and "cremona" sunburst! This guitar was to most unlikely conversion candidate to Burst' !!

14 hours ago, merciful-evans said:

I'll wager I'm the only one here who likes the rectangular 4 screw poker chip replacement

I'll wager you'll win that bet...

I still love the rest of the guitar, though. I know it went through various mods in the pre-production assessment period but I'd love to see Gibson issue a 70th anniversary version of this particular prototype incarnation in 2021.

For anyone new to this story it's well worth downloading the links in post #9 and reading the text. Fascinating stuff.

Pip.

Edited by pippy

15 hours ago, SteveFord said:

No wonder they got divorced.

How'd you like to play a Les Paul with those wimpy little straps?

You're kidding.  If they were on a forum today:

Les: I'd play it more, but this thing is just too heavy.

Mary: How do you like this burst? Does it make me look fat?

Edited by Wmachine

I've never seen some of these early prototypes before. Really interesting looking with the sharp/pointy cutaway. It's crazy because I'm so used to the finalized design that this kind of looks like a rip-off or some kind of copy. haha

The very earliest run of Gold-Top Les Pauls had neither poker chip nor neck binding - as well as, notoriously, the wrong (far too shallow) neck-set angle which meant that the instruments were, in practical terms, unplayable unless the strings were wound UNDER the trapeze stop-tail/bridge unit...

Cosmitron hasn't been around for 8 1/2 years but I am pretty certain that, as he mentioned in his earlier post, the photos he posted come from the book entitled "The Early Years of the Les Paul Legacy; 1915 - 1963"

Pip.

Edited by pippy
  • Upvote 1