Gibson Brands Forums

Your Hometown

Artie Owl

Lincoln, NE ghost stories:

-Until 2003, spree killer Charles Starkweather's condemned house stood in east Lincoln behind a Wallgreen's on 70th and O Streets. The property had remained vacant since its last occupant embarked on his murderous rampage. Although a secluded area at the time of the crimes, the city grew around the boarded up house. A hospital purchased the land decades before but never developed it, so the haunted relic stood unmolested long after its time had come. Many teens from nearby East High would ditch class to smoke and drink near the house. Students often reported strange sights and sounds coming from the empty residence. In 2002 the hospital finally announced plans to develop the lot. However, a mysterious buyer gave the house a new lease on life. The person bought the house and moved it to an undisclosed location in rural Nebraska. Perhaps it still stands as a dark tribute to its infamous tenant. I actually touched it once on a dare.

-Teena Brandon, a 21 year old transgendered female that lived as a man, was murdered with two other victims in a farm house near Humboldt, NE on the eve of the new year in 1993. Because of the brutality of the crime and blatant police misconduct, the case gained national attention. The film "Boys Don't Cry" starring Hillary Swank was based on the incident. Teena Brandon spent all but a few weeks of her short life living in Lincoln. Brandon led a troubled adolescences, and used fake IDs to drink in local bars. Among her favorites was Risky's near Nebraska Wesleyan. Staff has reported strange occurrences after hours, including a frightening episodes after close on new years eve 2003. It was actually me, I worked there.

My wife and thoroughly enjoyed Boys Don't Cry and I am particularly interested in the paranormal. If you have the time I would be most grateful if you could describe the details that occurred on the new years eve of 2003.

Cheers and great read!

Matt

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Musicians from Louisiana or who moved there to establish their careers:

• Little Richard
  • Ray Charles
  • Fats Domino
  • Big Joe Turner
  • Roy Brown
  • Professor Longhair
  • Shirley & Lee
  • Smiley Lewis
  • Jimmy Clanton
  • Irma Thomas
  • Johnny Adams
  • Frankie Ford
  • Guitar Slim
  • the Meters
  • the Spiders
  • Lloyd Price
  • Huey "Piano" Smith
  • Clarence "Frogman" Henry
  • Bennie Spellman
  • the Nevilles
  • Ernie K-Doe
  • Joe Barry
  • Robert Parker
  • Jerry Lee Louis
  • Little Richard
  • Dr. John
  • Allen Toussaint
  • Lead Belly
  • Johnny Rivers
  • Jelly Roll Morton
  • Lonnie Johnson
  • Louis Armstrong
  • Louie Prima
  • Jimmie Davis
  • Mahalia Jackson
  • Clarence "Gatemouth" Brown
  • Earl King
  • Tuts Washington
  • Deacon John
  • Champion Jack Dupree
  • Quincy Jones
  • James "Sugar Boy" Crawford
  • Smiley Lewis
  • Sam Cooke launched his recording career out of J&M
  • Lawrence "Prince La La" Nelson
  • Oliver "Who Shot the La La" Morgan
  • Al "Carnival Time" Johnson
  • Chris Kenner
  • Lee Dorsey
  • The Dixie Cups
  • Percy Sledge
  • Slim Harpo
  • Lightnin Slim
  • Little Walter
  • Buddy Guy
  • Marva Wright
  • Snooks Eaglin
  • Memphis Minnie (she was actually from da best bank - Algiers)
  • Marcia Ball
  • Chris Thomas King
  • Boozoo Chavis
  • Clifton Chenier
  • Lil Buck Senegal
  • Buckwheat Zydeco
  • Rockin Dopsie
  • Rockin Dopsie Jr.
  • 'Cocaine Wayne' Toups
  • Cookie & the Cupcakes
  • Freddie Fender (hey, he moved to Louisiana after doing time at Angola so I'm counting him)
  • Lucinda Williams
  • Elvis got his break at the Louisiana Hayride ... before Sun Records
  • Dale Hawkins
  • Hank Williams Jr.
  • DJ Fontana
  • James Burton
  • Johnny Adams
  • James Booker
  • Eddie Bo
  • Floyd Cramer
  • Lee Dorsey
  • Pete Fountain
  • Al Hirt
  • Johnny Horton
  • Jean Knight
  • Phil Phillips

My wife and thoroughly enjoyed Boys Don't Cry and I am particularly interested in the paranormal. If you have the time I would be most grateful if you could describe the details that occurred on the new years eve of 2003.

Cheers and great read!

Matt

It wont let me send you a PM. PM me your email and I will put something together for you.

Bender...

Ever read Eric Flint's "sci fi" but more historical novel: 1812, the rivers of war?"

m

I haven't read that particular book, but I now feel a strange need to.....

I did quite a study of the "Indian Wars" a few years back, so i'm sure it'll be interesting.

I've been to "HorseShoe Bend" Al. several times (where Jackson/Coffee decimated the remainder of the Creek Nation.......and in my own area I found a section of the "stone wall" that was the physical separation point between the North Al. Cherokees and Central Al. Creeks.

I just happen to have the book in rtf format... or it's available that way from the Baen Free Library on line. Flint's a good author although this is a bit different from what he's usually written.

If you're interested, PM me an email that'll handle it, although it isn't all that big. It covers Horseshoe Bend.

Most of my "Indian Wars" stuff is post 1860 - which is reeeally where I live in several ways.

Start here:

http://www.baen.com/library/

m

He's on his way out. Announced his retirement. But... they do have another anointed one on the ballot if... he can establish the requisite residency requirements. I suspect he will. I mean, really, if he can hide man's citize... oh never mind.

It is a sad and forgone conclusion. He won't have my vote, but there's only so much one person can do. Probably get more TIFs, have our water privatized, and have both airports sold off once he's in office.

Musicians from Louisiana or who moved there to establish their careers:

• Little Richard
  • Ray Charles
  • Fats Domino
  • Big Joe Turner
  • Roy Brown
  • Professor Longhair
  • Shirley & Lee
  • Smiley Lewis
  • Jimmy Clanton
  • Irma Thomas
  • Johnny Adams
  • Frankie Ford
  • Guitar Slim
  • the Meters
  • the Spiders
  • Lloyd Price
  • Huey "Piano" Smith
  • Clarence "Frogman" Henry
  • Bennie Spellman
  • the Nevilles
  • Ernie K-Doe
  • Joe Barry
  • Robert Parker
  • Jerry Lee Louis
  • Little Richard
  • Dr. John
  • Allen Toussaint
  • Lead Belly
  • Johnny Rivers
  • Jelly Roll Morton
  • Lonnie Johnson
  • Louis Armstrong
  • Louie Prima
  • Jimmie Davis
  • Mahalia Jackson
  • Clarence "Gatemouth" Brown
  • Earl King
  • Tuts Washington
  • Deacon John
  • Champion Jack Dupree
  • Quincy Jones
  • James "Sugar Boy" Crawford
  • Smiley Lewis
  • Sam Cooke launched his recording career out of J&M
  • Lawrence "Prince La La" Nelson
  • Oliver "Who Shot the La La" Morgan
  • Al "Carnival Time" Johnson
  • Chris Kenner
  • Lee Dorsey
  • The Dixie Cups
  • Percy Sledge
  • Slim Harpo
  • Lightnin Slim
  • Little Walter
  • Buddy Guy
  • Marva Wright
  • Snooks Eaglin
  • Memphis Minnie (she was actually from da best bank - Algiers)
  • Marcia Ball
  • Chris Thomas King
  • Boozoo Chavis
  • Clifton Chenier
  • Lil Buck Senegal
  • Buckwheat Zydeco
  • Rockin Dopsie
  • Rockin Dopsie Jr.
  • 'Cocaine Wayne' Toups
  • Cookie & the Cupcakes
  • Freddie Fender (hey, he moved to Louisiana after doing time at Angola so I'm counting him)
  • Lucinda Williams
  • Elvis got his break at the Louisiana Hayride ... before Sun Records
  • Dale Hawkins
  • Hank Williams Jr.
  • DJ Fontana
  • James Burton
  • Johnny Adams
  • James Booker
  • Eddie Bo
  • Floyd Cramer
  • Lee Dorsey
  • Pete Fountain
  • Al Hirt
  • Johnny Horton
  • Jean Knight
  • Phil Phillips

I believe the topic is your hometown and not state. Just sayin.msp_flapper.gif

It is a sad and forgone conclusion. He won't have my vote, but there's only so much one person can do. Probably get more TIFs, have our water privatized, and have both airports sold off once he's in office.

According to the AP today, Rahm offered to compensate his tenant (of the home he USED to live in before moving to Warshington) for his inconvenience if he would allow him to move back into his home before the lease was up, thereby establishing the requesite residency requirement for running for the mayor's office. After no response from the tenant and a couple emails later, the tenant offered to move out for a $100K 'inconvenience fee'. Rahm said, are you nuts? I'll give you $5K/ month remaining on the lease.

Here's the best part. His tenant is now filing papers to run AGAINST his landlord for the mayor's office! [laugh] [laugh] [lol] [lol]

I take no stand on this race, just reporting the news. Gotta love living outside Chicargo! \:D/ These guys are a laugh a minute.

BTW, has anybody yet mentioned that "Belfousch" (sp.?) was the destination in "The Cowboys" ??

Months ago Milod and I had a discussion about that. I'll let M tell you about it.

I think it's spelt "Belle Fourche". But it's pronounced like you spelled it. Didn't know the french got that far north west.

Not only was Belle Fourche where John Wayne's character was taking the herd, we've had a number of the "kids" visiting here during the summer "Riverfest" several years in a row. Great guys who all will tell you that making the movie and meeting John Wayne was something special in their lives that made a big difference. Steve Hudis is still in the biz; Al Barker Jr. is a deputy sheriff in southern California; Mike Pyeatt also lives in Cali. Steve was raised in the movie biz, the other two boys I got to know best are country kids who are still good ropers. Great guys, all.

As I said, Belle was the country's biggest livestock shipping point in its early years. It's still the center of a cow calf ranching region - and a few pretty good bull shippers. <chuckle> Also it's "home" for some PRCA Hall of Famers.

The new Miss Rodeo America, by the way, won her Miss Rodeo South Dakota crown in Belle Fourche and goes to school 11 miles south; this coming year's Miss Rodeo South Dakota is from Belle Fourche.

And if you think the "rodeo queen" girls aren't much on the real thing horsemanship, both ride mostly borrowed horses from stock contractors at rodeos - and the borrowed horses often are bucking horses on a day off. Vanessa's barrel horse likes to see how crazy it can get before a barrel run and I don't like to be within 20-30 feet of it at that point in time. And Vanessa's not exactly a tall girl.

McKenzie's a super girl from a rodeo family. An aunt was runner up Miss Rodeo America in the 90s and her Mom actually did a recommendation letter for Vanessa for a dental hygiene program.

Vanessa's Mom also is a beautiful lady who'll take back the reins of hosting Miss Rodeo South Dakota at this year's Roundup rodeo stuff over the 4th of July.

EDIT: Needless to say, as a local museum foundation member I could likely add a bit of history... <grin>

m

BTW, McKenzie Haley, the new Miss Rodeo America, is at left; the new Miss Rodeo South Dakota Vanessa Ternes is at right.

Special ladies. They also make takin' pix pretty easy.

Two other local girls were among the 20 flag girls who opened the NFR in Vegas this year and a number of years in the past. Also excellent riders riding some of Harry Vold's stock.

m

Baton Rouge, LA

The 1975 TV film "The Deadly Tower", starring Kurt Russell as Charles Joseph Whitman, was filmed in Baton Rouge. They used the State Capital Building as the tower. The film was about the 1966 massacre at UT Austin.

Lots of history in Baton Rouge. Huey P. Long, Earl K. Long, Edwin Edwards, plenty of colorful characters have held the Governor's office.

That's where I was born and raised. It's not the same place today as it was when I left in 2003. I loved it when I was there, but I don't plan to return.

Hialeah, Florida, before you had to know how to speak Spanish,

and

former home to "Old Thoroughbred race horses" Hialeah Park, Hialeah High "T-Bred" alumni "Old Oakland Raiders-Ted "the stork" Hendricks,football players" class of 62, "Old NY Yankee's Bucky Dent" and "Old Disco Stars Harry Casey of KC and the Sunshine band" class of 69 and "Old Bass players" from "Dante and his Devil-airs" class of 70.... [scared]

Jocko...

Like I said about Vanessa... she's a horsewoman. I s'pose I shudda mentioned that she's not at all unattractive. <grin>

Click on the pix of both her and McKenzie I added above to see the two together.

I've got shots of Vanessa even in a hard hat on a construction site. Another thing about real cowgirls is they can be really prettied up or they can get out and work regardless of circumstances. That goes for the girls my age too.

BTW, you'd get a kick out of Vanessa's comment about "Miss Rodeo" ladies and their hats. They have a batch of tricks to keep 'em on regardless of a horse acting up or even an 80-mph wind (I have pix of that, too). Her comment is that if the girl loses her hat, her head had best still be in it. That kinda tells the story, I think.

m

Click on the pix of both her and McKenzie I added above to see the two together.

Plenty of fresh air, sunshine and proximity to horse doo, does a lot for a young lady's 'plenty easy on the eyes' complexion. Not to mention a white cow girl hat and boots. [love]

Here's the best part. His tenant is now filing papers to run AGAINST his landlord for the mayor's office! [laugh] [laugh] [lol] [lol]

Sorry to be the wet blanket, but he did not get enough signatures on his petition to make the ballot. Not may people do. Who can get over 12k?

Sorry to be the wet blanket, but he did not get enough signatures on his petition to make the ballot. Not may people do. Who can get over 12k?

Of course, that supposes all the rules are followed. This is Chicargo, after all.

I think the tenant made his point.

Let's see if "The Hammer" can finagle the system yet again. I mean after all, he only needs a signed lease DATED so as to 'prove' he has the requisite residency. He's a cinch to be on the ballot. Mark my words.

I believe the topic is your hometown and not state. Just sayin.msp_flapper.gif

My bad, you're right.

Musicians from New Orleans:

Phil Anselmo, musician

Louis Armstrong, musician & entertainer

Baby Boy Da Prince, rapper

Achille Baquet, musician

George Baquet, musician

Paul Barbarin, musician and composer

Dave Bartholomew, musician, composer, promoter

Sidney Bechet, musician

Better Than Ezra, rock group

Birdman aka Baby, rapper

Terence Blanchard, musician & composer

B.G., rapper

Buddy Bolden, musician, early jazz figure

James Booker, musician

Jimmy Bower, guitarist, drummer

George Brunis, jazz trombonist

Collie Buddz, Reggae/Dancehall artist

Alton "Big Al" Carson, blues singer

C-Murder, rapper

Alex Chilton, songwriter, guitarist, singer and producer, best known as the lead singer of the Box Tops and Big Star

Choppa, rapper

Jon Cleary, funk and R&B musician

Lee Collins, jazz trumpeter

Harry Connick, Jr., musician and entertainer

Barry Cowsill, musician

Cowboy Mouth, band

Currency, rapper

DJ Khaled, DJ

Moses Hogan Musician, Composer

DJ Hollygrove, Swishahouse DJ

Piggy D. Bassist

Edmond Dede musician, composer