Gibson Brands Forums

No Stones Fans here?

freak show

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Apparently, "Wild Horses" was inspired by Gram Parsons. That was a pretty cool song. Don't remember where I heard that, and I could be wrong.

Yep.You are correct. Gram and Keith were buds at the time. In fact Gram and the Flying Burrito Brothers cut and released Wild horses in 1970, a year before the Stones put it on Sticky Fingers. It was of course written by Mick and Keith and I think recorded down in Mussel Shoals in maybe '69, so it had been around a while before the Stones released it. Here's Gram's version...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4z_rtZx8J0

They were one of "those" bands that were all over the radio all the time when I was a kid.

Never had to buy any of their stuff for that very reason.

As a result, my familiarity is only with the radio songs - I'm sure there are dozens of theirs I've never heard.

Funny thing too, I just didn't "get" the Stones until I was a little older.

The first song of theirs that made me pay attention was one that the Stones purists absolutely hated;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqbmgsuHcYY

Opening with the acoustic, then the big power chords come in - I LIKED it! [thumbup][woot]

Cool contrast.

Since then, I've warmed up to some of their earlier and heavier stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4d2FMGMO9Ag

Emotional Rescue was one song that should have never escaped the studio, but this one from that album was okay;

Still can't stand to watch Jagger.

When I hear him in an interview I KNOW there will be nothing worthwhile to come from his disgusting mouth.

Big fan of their output between '68 and '72. There were highlights elsewhere...

Goat's Head Soup had some winners, so did Some Girls... but Beggar's Banquet,

Let it Bleed, Sticky Fingers, and Exile on Main Street have to be four of the

best albums ever consecutively recorded by anyone! (And yeah, before the Beatles

lovers assault me, I'd say the same for the Beatles output from Rubber Soul onward....) [biggrin]

Exile on main street is very cool. There is a good documentary on netflix about the making of that album.

Exile on main street is very cool. There is a good documentary on netflix about the making of that album.

Yep, saw it. Great viewing for fans of Exile or any Mick Taylor era Stones. There is also a new release of the

album with something like 10 bonus tracks, but I have not bought it yet.

One of the really good tracks off of Goat's Head Soup. Along with 100 Years Ago, which is one of

my all-time favorites...

That is a cool tune too. I always wanted to record a real heavy version of heartbreaker!

1 Mick Taylor era Rolling Stones is some of the best rock there is.

2 Kieth Richards IS a genius.

3 When I'm flipping through songs on my iPod, I never pass up Tumbling Dice

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5e1_K-JDfOk

I completely agree. He is a genius and I don't know why I wimped earlier.

Tumbin dice is one of the songs I crank when I hear it.

This song and this version changed my life as a teen: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxTHIgHucpg

Drove from Little Rock to New Orleans in September 1978 to see the Stones at the Super Dome. One of the guys that went is a film guy and is the other guitar player in my current band and is making an historical (now that it is old) documentary of the whole trip by filming all of our memories. Some incredible stories. They opened with this song. If you can't shake your head to this one....well, I'm sorry.

Rock on.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObU70YLF8qA

Funny thing too, I just didn't "get" the Stones until I was a little older.

The first song of theirs that made me pay attention was one that the Stones purists absolutely hated;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqbmgsuHcYY

Opening with the acoustic, then the big power chords come in - I LIKED it! [thumbup][woot]

Cool contrast.

Learned something new;

According to Wikipedia (yeah, I know...) Jimmy Page played guitar on "One Hit to the Body."

No wonder I liked that song so much way back then!!! [thumbup]

Check it out.

Credited to lead singer Mick Jagger, guitarist Keith Richards and guitarist Ron Wood, "One Hit (to the Body)"

was largely the work of Richards and Wood. Both guitarists contributed heavily to Dirty Work overall, with

Wood receiving credit alongside Jagger and Richards on another three songs. A sign of Wood's heavy contribution

is the song's distinctive opening of an acoustic piece. Wood used Richards' own 1967 Martin D-18 to perform

the jam in an attempt to come up with a proper electric riff, but the acoustic version remained. The band is known

for their use of acoustic guitars to "shadow" their electric guitars; "Brown Sugar" being a prime example.

Both Richards and Wood played electric, but lead riffs and solos were provided by ex-Led Zeppelin guitarist Jimmy Page.

Page's contribution was the result of a short studio session between him and Wood after Page's request to

hear what the band was working on.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One_Hit_(to_the_Body)

Every once in a while it occurs to me that very little is said on this forum about one of the greatest bands of all times, namely The Rolling Stones. I find that sort of surprising, since of all of the bands of "first hour" of Rock (early 60's), the Stones are the one that sounds the most current -- at least in my opinion. Is it because Keith plays a Tele?

[razz] (I always wanted to use this emoticon, but I don't know what it means...) [razz]

Your joking right?

The oldest active rockband in the world is The Golden Earring from the Netherlands, formed in march 1961 and still touring and making albums.

In the USA the Golden Earring is best known for the songs "Radar Love" and "Twilight Zone".

Keith Richards is NOT a great guitar player and DOESN'T have a great feal, he is a very sloppy guitar player.

The Stones had the luck to score a world hit, when they needed one.

The Golden Earring always sound up-to-date without loosing there identity.

did you know that: Jimi Hendrix wanted te have the bassplayer from The Golden Earring to join his band, when he saw them perform in NY in 1969?

did you know that: The Who wanted the drummer from The Golden Earring to join them when Moon died in 1979?

George Kooijmans is one off the best guitar players in the world, make Keith Richards look like a joke I'm sorry.

When I'm in a lazy or sloppy mood, I grab one off my Fender cr*p-ocasters, tune it in G en play some stones, you only need 1 or 2 fingers to grab the chords.....

Here are some nice Earring songs....

1984: When the Lady Smiles (banned in the USA and Canada because of the video)

1989, Turn the world Around (banned in the USA and Canada because of the video)

Your joking right?

The oldest active rockband in the world is The Golden Earring from the Netherlands, formed in march 1961 and still touring and making albums.

In the USA the Golden Earring is best known for the songs "Radar Love" and "Twilight Zone".

Keith Richards is NOT a great guitar player and DOESN'T have a great feal, he is a very sloppy guitar player.

The Stones had the luck to score a world hit, when they needed one.

The Golden Earring always sound up-to-date without loosing there identity.

did you know that: Jimi Hendrix wanted te have the bassplayer from The Golden Earring to join his band, when he saw them perform in NY in 1969?

did you know that: The Who wanted the drummer from The Golden Earring to join them when Moon died in 1979?

George Kooijmans is one off the best guitar players in the world, make Keith Richards look like a joke I'm sorry.

When I'm in a lazy or sloppy mood, I grab one off my Fender cr*p-ocasters, tune it in G en play some stones, you only need 1 or 2 fingers to grab the chords.....

128806996361505006.jpg

I was an avid fan of the Stones way back when they first appeared on the scene,as a matter of fact the first album I ever bought was December's Children which I bought when I was 12 years old.I collected every one of their albums while Brian Jones was with them as Brian was the founder and leader until Mick and Keith wrestled control from him.The group was first known as Brian Jones and his Rolling Stones and it was Brian who showed Keith many of his licks and how to play slide.It was Brian who introduced many of the strange instruments like dulcimer and sitar into the Stones songs and who really was the unsung musical genius of the Stones.Brian's musicianship didn't go unnoticed by everybody and Jimi Hendrix befriended him as he appreciated Brian's musical knowledge and his uncanny inate ability to pick up any instrument and be able to play it.The others cut Brian loose and stood by as he wasted away and let his drug abuse get out of control.They made no effort to help him but after his death staged a"tribute"concert with his new replacement days after his burial.After Brian died the Stones lost a great deal of their inspiration and the only albums I bought post-Brian were Sticky Fingers and Goats Head Soup.As far as I'm concerned Brian was the backbone of the Stones moreso than the others ever gave him credit for and their music has become less and less inspired with each successive album since he died.

I was an avid fan of the Stones way back when they first appeared on the scene,as a matter of fact the first album I ever bought was December's Children which I bought when I was 12 years old.I collected every one of their albums while Brian Jones was with them as Brian was the founder and leader until Mick and Keith wrestled control from him.The group was first known as Brian Jones and his Rolling Stones and it was Brian who showed Keith many of his licks and how to play slide.It was Brian who introduced many of the strange instruments like dulcimer and sitar into the Stones songs and who really was the unsung musical genius of the Stones.Brian's musicianship didn't go unnoticed by everybody and Jimi Hendrix befriended him as he appreciated Brian's musical knowledge and his uncanny inate ability to pick up any instrument and be able to play it.The others cut Brian loose and stood by as he wasted away and let his drug abuse get out of control.They made no effort to help him but after his death staged a"tribute"concert with his new replacement days after his burial.After Brian died the Stones lost a great deal of their inspiration and the only albums I bought post-Brian were Sticky Fingers and Goats Head Soup.As far as I'm concerned Brian was the backbone of the Stones moreso than the others ever gave him credit for and their music has become less and less inspired with each successive album since he died.

Your right, thats my opinion to.

Archived