Gibson Brands Forums

Great players we never hear of anymore...

jaxson50

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Surfpup...

Just went back thru some comments to yours...

Kottke is what I consider kinda a unique talent 'cuz besides being an exceptional picker, he had that really "out from left field" sense of humor.

I first heard "Tennessee Stud" sung by the guy folks nowadays know as actor Peter Coyote. He's been quite a picker himself, by the way, although very little known for it.

Then I got to hear the songwriter, Jimmy Driftwood, do it in concert. Got to talk with him a bit too.

I guess you'll never get the folkie side outa me any more than the jazz side or the rock side or the cowboy side or the country side. <grin> The country side comes especially after a bit of dust, but...

m

Sadly, we haven't heard from the one and only Gary Richrath. The sole reason I wanted a Les Paul, and he was the only reason I picked up a guitar. Thank you Gary.

By the way, look at, imo, the most gorgeous real LP (60 I believe) I've ever seen.

REO-Speedwagon-pictures-1973-milwak.jpg

Hy White was born in 1915, joined Woody Herman in 1939 and stayed with him till 1944. If Charlie Christian was the first guitarist to record a solo chances are good Hy was close on his heels.

He played with Gene Krupa, Les Brown, The Dorsey Brothers, Coleman Hawkins and Tony Pastor, as a studio player in the 1950's he played with Bing Crosby, Doris Day, Rosemary Clooney, Ella Fitzgerald and Pearl Bailey, and toured with Sinatra, Danny Kaye and Eddie Fisher. Chances are you have heard him play many times and never gave it a second thought.

He also is credited with creating the Leeds Guitar Method instructional books.

But finding videos of him is not easy.

Few speak of Roy Buchanan much any more outside a group such as this. Or Carlos Montoya who may not have some of the current flash in flamenco but... wow, the class of his playing...

How about Leo Kottke...

Or... showing some of the odd sense of humor that makes the guy an entertainer as much as a picker... The guitar stuff picks up as he goes along too...

m

Leo is still alive and well. I typically do a show with him every year. His skills are still sharp and oddball sense of humor intact.Me and Leo last year...

meleo.jpg

Janus...

Knew he was alive, didn't know if he were well or not.

I think he has/had relatives around where I live.

He's an exceptional picker but... that sense of humor is really something else entirely. Actually he's also exactly one month younger than I am. <grin> Darned kid can play.

m

Leo actually had a couple of successful albums in the "Jam Band" realm, collaborating with

Mike Gordon, the bass player from Phish. I saw them live and it was quite good. I don't think

he has recorded in the last few years though.

Archived