Gibson Brands Forums

MSNBC Supports counterfiet guitar makers

meanstreak

It goes for those who google guitars or go on guitar websites, a random person who doesnt do anything with music or guitar wouldnt really get this ad.

You could say it tracks your IP...but not in a way that your info is going out there.

For example, i looked at a fender tele on musicans friend, and i got an ad from them on a website and it has the same picture and name of the guitar i was looking at!

Clever eh?

ya I know it's a google ad, I just think it's a bit ironic that I have read stories in MSNBC's Red Tape Chronicles section warning about fake products and encouraging people ro report bootleggers but then they also happen to have an ad for tradetang showing on their site when I am reading it lol

I guess if people wouldn't buy from them they wouldn't be in business though would they?

ya I know it's a google ad, I just think it's a bit ironic that I have read stories in MSNBC's Red Tape Chronicles section warning about fake products and encouraging people ro report bootleggers but then they also happen to have an ad for tradetang showing on their site when I am reading it lol

If you knew it was a Google ad then why did you title this thread MSNBC Supports counterfeit guitar makers? :---)

Wouldn't it be great if Gibson had a task force devoted to stamping out counterfeits, and all of you guys could be paid to troll the internet? Seriously.

paid my a$$.......just let me torch an occasional counterfeit warehouse and i'm your troll for life !!

heres a hum-dinger of a slogan...."Only REAL Gibsons ROCK !"

If you knew it was a Google ad then why did you title this thread MSNBC Supports counterfeit guitar makers? :---)

Probably the same reason news shows (like NBC's etal) use knowingly deceptive yet provocative headlines for stories. Sensationalism "sells" (ie; to get viewers/readership). And no, it's not purely accurate. Though in a roundabout way, it is (sort of a half truth). The ad was seen on MSNBC's site. But it was provided by Google. But MSNBC allowed Google to place the ad for a fee, and the fakers obviously paid to have Google place the ad. So MSNBC did advertise the fakes for a fee, albeit unwittingly.

I'll bet if Gibson would contact the right person at MSNBC, they'd be all over Google about not permitting that crap to show up there. Enough complaints to Google, and they wouldn't sell to that Sponsor anymore.

The problem is Google. Both Gibson and MSNBC should complain to Google. MSNBC doesn't support counterfitters any more than Musician's Friend does.

Is it that hard to understand how the world works?

Not hard at all. But MSNBC DID sell the space to Google. Even though I'm sure they are unaware of that particular content, they are not completely blameless. They need to be more in control of certain aspects of what they let others post on their site. And they need to hold Google accountable. TBH, I'll bet both are clueless to the fact that they've advertised for an infringing fake-maker. First, they need to be made aware (a good entry point for Gibson there). From there, changes can happen.

This is how google uses your information. They know that you like guitars, so they put up the ad. If you were looking for cookware, there would be a Martha Stewart ad for pans in that spot. Obviously google sold the ad space without doing their homework. Its just one of the little things that slide through the cracks when you rule the planet.

The problem is Google. Both Gibson and MSNBC should complain to Google. MSNBC doesn't support counterfitters any more than Musician's Friend does.

Clearly not on MSNBC, but, really, Google doesn't care if Google is getting paid. They're not in the guitar authenticity business.

Is it that hard to understand how the world works?

Love it!

Clearly not on MSNBC' date=' but, really, Google doesn't care if Google is getting paid. They're not in the guitar authenticity business.

[/quote']No, but they are in the "Let's keep as much of our money as we can" business. And if they were sued over copyright/trademark infringement when they took money to display an ad from a faker (as they should be), they they'd begin to rethink whether they wanted to sell space to that particular entity. In fact, a letter from Gibson's Corporate Attorney might do the job just fine, without even filing papers. And since it did appear on MSNBC's site (even if only to guitar interested parties), MSNBC should also be included in any such "cease and desist" communication. And I'll bet they'd take it very seriously, and would communicate their displeasure to Google. All the better!

Google (and most other unaware companies) would not take the time to authenticate such an advertiser. It would be up to the offended party (in this case, Gibson) to raise their awareness level

And THAT dear readers, IS how it works in the real world.

Archived