Gibson Brands Forums

Acoustic Amps

albertjohn

I know this has been done before but would like to confirm people's views and have those views of our new members.

My mate and I are both in the market for an acoustic amp. Your recommendations please.

Nothing more expensive than the Fishman Soloamp/Bose L1 Compact(both around £900-950 in the UK roughly US$1,400 - 1,500 equivalent).

Needs multiple inputs (min 3) and to suit a pub size gig possibly without a PA.

I really like the Marshall AS100.

AJ - i guarantee you will not go wrong with the AS100D !

It has a wonderful tone that suits boht my SWD smaller mahogany OM.

The effects are just right both for guitarist and vocalist and they really are perfectly suited for two players and two singers.

I tried it against the Soloamp and i found the tone of the soloamp to be a little 'processed' or digital. It was missing the warmth of the Marshall.

I think Gibson and Marshall we basically made for each other and we get a lot of compliments on the tone when we play out with this combo.

Will be giving it a big run tonite as we have a 3 hr NYE show and will playing just the SWD through the Marshall with Ray and Mrs Euroassie on vocals.

Get the Marshall mate.

cheers.

I have a Carvin AG100D that has to be 6/7 years old. It's been a real workhorse. I bought it for a few acoustic gigs me and a friend did when we weren't doing the Classic/Original Rock thing. Turned out to be a very handy machine.

3 channels, 1; voiced for acoustic guitar, 2; vocals hi/lo imp, 3; bass. Digital effects. 100 watts, a 12 inch quality Eminence, an adjustable tweeter, you can unplug the head and use the sealed cab for a spare/backup main (it has a stand hole) or a spare/backup unpowered monitor, or leave the power amp plugged in and it's a spare/backup powered monitor, it's a mini p.a. for birthday partys, auctions, and public events you need a louder voice on a stand, turn down the tweeter, add a Tube Screamer and it's a spare/backup electric guitar amp and its a darned good little bass amp.

Did I mention it's also a GREAT acoustic amp and has been bulletproof reliable.

I love Carvin P.A. and bass gear.

Best of luck.

I have the Marshall AS-50. After trying out several (Fender, Acoustic, Genz-Benz, Crate), I always came back to the Marshall. The Fishman was a close second, IMHO. The AS-50 does a great job for me. Small pub or bar (30-50 people) it's adequate. Larger venue, go with the AS-100. Marshall hit a homerun with these amps! Great tone with just enough inputs and effects. Simple controls.

I have the Marshall AS-50. After trying out several (Fender, Acoustic, Genz-Benz, Crate), I always came back to the Marshall. The Fishman was a close second, IMHO. The AS-50 does a great job for me. Small pub or bar (30-50 people) it's adequate. Larger venue, go with the AS-100. Marshall hit a homerun with these amps! Great tone with just enough inputs and effects. Simple controls.

Hi Larry

What is the Fender acoustasonic like? I do love the look of it.

Matt

Hey AJ -- I have great respect for the choices already noted, but please if you get a chance check out the Genz-Benz line -- I have the Shenandoah Acoustic Pro and can't speak highly enough of it. The key for me is the sound quality, along with the even projection of that sound: just one example, I played an outdoor gig where the stage was a small island, crowd separated by a moat (so to speak), and the sound quality and volume was the same for those in the front rows as those in the oxygen seats.

I've plugged in 2 guitars or guitar and keyboard, plus mics (love the tube/SS pre-amps), looper, aux where required, and have been consistently thrilled with the results.

Hope this helps.

Good Day to You AJ / I use a Genz Benz Shenandoah Acoustic 150-LT / A great amp that is 150 watts or add another speaker for 200 watts / Two Mic. hookup & Two Guitar inputs / It is a Great Amp for the money / In 2008 it was $750.00 US Dollars / One thing I liked about mind is the weight is just 26# {pounds} light weight for what you get when others with the same system weights 65 to 85 pounds. Check out their web site at: genzbenz.com they have a new lighter weight acoustic amp now that is 300 watts.

I play music at Large Church's, Nursing Homes, Senior Center's, Outside for Birthday's, Family Reunions, etc. and have had no problems with this amp / You can also look up Genz Benz on U-Tube.

Hope this will help you my friend / Greetings from: North Carolina, USA and Have a Safe & Blessed New Year ~ Paul Dean [thumbup]

spanishoaknc@aol.com

Good Day to You AJ / I use a Genz Benz Shenandoah Acoustic 150-LT / A great amp that is 150 watts or add another speaker for 200 watts / Two Mic. hookup & Two Guitar inputs / It is a Great Amp for the money / In 2008 it was $750.00 US Dollars / One thing I liked about mind is the weight is just 26# {pounds} light weight for what you get when others with the same system weights 65 to 85 pounds. Check out their web site at: genzbenz.com they have a new lighter weight acoustic amp now that is 300 watts.

I play music at Large Church's, Nursing Homes, Senior Center's, Outside for Birthday's, Family Reunions, etc. and have had no problems with this amp / You can also look up Genz Benz on U-Tube.

Hope this will help you my friend / Greetings from: North Carolina, USA and Have a Safe & Blessed New Year ~ Paul Dean [thumbup]

spanishoaknc@aol.com

Thanks for the comments Paul. I'm not at all familiar with this brand but will do some hunting down I think.

Have peaceful New Year.

I don't think you can beat the Ultrasound DS-4. It has fantastic tone, effects and the mic channle has phantom power for a conderser mic. These are really great sounding amps. You should try one before purchasing anything. THen if you want to spend the big money, look at the AER amps.

I know this has been done before but would like to confirm people's views and have those views of our new members.

My mate and I are both in the market for an acoustic amp. Your recommendations please.

Nothing more expensive than the Fishman Soloamp/Bose L1 Compact(both around £900-950 in the UK roughly US$1,400 - 1,500 equivalent).

Needs multiple inputs (min 3) and to suit a pub size gig possibly without a PA.

Hi AJ

Happy new year etc

Do you have the Marshall 50watt at the moment?

I am "ampless" since I sold my excellent Headway Shireking and am thinking of the Marshall or in fact the fEnder to double as an acoustic amp and also together with my Line 6 POD HD500, to cope with the 335 and my new telebaby.

They seem to go around £100/£150 on Ebay.

Don't need any more than 50 watts as its for home use only

I don't think you can beat the Ultrasound DS-4. It has fantastic tone, effects and the mic channle has phantom power for a conderser mic. These are really great sounding amps. You should try one before purchasing anything. THen if you want to spend the big money, look at the AER amps.

Cheers!

I am impressed

http://www.ultrasoundamps.com/YouTubePlayers.html

£350 as well; not a bad price

Heres my 2¢ , fwiw..

I have a Fishman SA220 solo and love it. Its powerful 200w its lite 25lbs. Its very versatile for use with a 'house' PA or stand alone Its sounds great and you can find them for well under the $1000 street price in the US. Its the real deal.

Hi AJ

Happy new year etc

Do you have the Marshall 50watt at the moment?

I am "ampless" since I sold my excellent Headway Shireking and am thinking of the Marshall or in fact the fEnder to double as an acoustic amp and also together with my Line 6 POD HD500, to cope with the 335 and my new telebaby.

They seem to go around £100/£150 on Ebay.

Don't need any more than 50 watts as its for home use only

Hi John and a happy new year to you too.

Yes I have a Marshall AS50 and it's a fine piece of kit. Latterly, I have used 2 of them for a few gigs, one for vocal and the other for the SWD and Tak12 (each with their own channel.)

Would be very good for home use but it is loud enough for a small/med pub gig. Plugging in the POD should work fine too.

Should be able to pick up one on ebay for not much over £100. If'n I sort myself out with an alternative any time soon (subject to employment - looking pretty good at the moment) then I might be looking to move mine on. My mate Ashley also has one surplus to requirement i.e. the second one I use.

Keep in touch and let me know if your interested.

.......................and Charlie's your aunt!

Or I'll swap it for your SWD12 Hahahahahahaha!

Errrr? Did you say "new telebaby"? Pray tell sir!

Hi John and a happy new year to you too.

Yes I have a Marshall AS50 and it's a fine piece of kit. Latterly, I have used 2 of them for a few gigs, one for vocal and the other for the SWD and Tak12 (each with their own channel.)

Would be very good for home use but it is loud enough for a small/med pub gig. Plugging in the POD should work fine too.

Should be able to pick up one on ebay for not much over £100. If'n I sort myself out with an alternative any time soon (subject to employment - looking pretty good at the moment) then I might be looking to move mine on. My mate Ashley also has one surplus to requirement i.e. the second one I use.

Keep in touch and let me know if your interested.

.......................and Charlie's your aunt!

Or I'll swap it for your SWD12 Hahahahahahaha!

Errrr? Did you say "new telebaby"? Pray tell sir!

Won't let me PM you but

If you or Ash are ready to part with one or the other at or after the end of January, that is when I get paid, then please give me an option.

Much rather buy one with some "history"

Archived