Gibson Brands Forums

good tube amp?

schnarz25

hello all, Ive been on here talking about getting a new guitar and am now also wondering about getting a good amp. so... what would a good amp (tube or solid state) be for a firebird v ? Im in the $400-$800 price range but I wouldnt be buying it right away because I do have an amp that I can use at home.

Would you consider buying used?

They're not very fashionable (which suits your cause price-wise) but I'd suggest looking out for a used Music Man combo. They sound magnificent, are very versatile tone-wise and even in good condition don't cost that much money.

Failing that, and buying new, the Marshall Class 5 is a great amp.

P.

Vox Night-Train Stack and/or Fender Hot-Rod Deluxe III...both are 700$ and are some of the best tube amp's out for the money...The Night-Train is TONE,TONE,and more TONE...with plenty of gain on-tap and some of the best overdriven tones I have ever heard...The Fender Hot-Rod is the "chameleon" amp and nothing beats a fender clean tone..Perfect amp for pedals and showing the true nature of your guitar. [thumbup]

Of course there's plenty more....

Jet City

Laney ( new very affordable amps are coming out of Laney...gonna get one in the near future for sure...)

Peavey

All great choices.

Would you consider buying used?

They're not very fashionable (which suits your cause price-wise) but I'd suggest looking out for a used Music Man combo. They sound magnificent, are very versatile tone-wise and even in good condition don't cost that much money.

Failing that, and buying new, the Marshall Class 5 is a great amp.

P.

I seem to be one of the few who doesn't think the Class5 is that great...I've had two...(first had the rattling problem) and i find them to be very harsh when overdriven...and It does not take pedals well...IMO its a good one trick pony but not a very versatile amp...If I had the choice again I would of bought the Jet City 20 watt combo...for 100$ cheaper.

The Firebird is enhanced by almost any decent amp...depends if it is for home use or gigging

Valvetronics are great for home use

The small Marshalls are good too

For gigs a Fender DeLuxe has a great clean sound

Laney VC30 and LH50 sound great for more crunch sounds and/or high gain

V

:-({|=

Hey schnarz I had a chance to play an Orange Dual Terror last week and was very impressed with it. New its just a tic over your budget but I have seen them on ebay and CL for around $600 or $700. Its a stand alone head so you would need a cab. You can select two tubes or four and you can select 1/2 power or full power so you can run 7, 15, or 30 watts making it a pretty versital rig and super portable. Dual channels (obviously) so you could set it to cover the clean/dirty stuff as well. Good luck. I can say that once I went tubes I understood what all the fuss was about as compared to solid state.

well, it seems like fender is the most loved and I think most likely Im going to be using pedals for my tones more than the channels on the amp so I think the fender sounds about right. by the way, I plan on running like a line 6 M9 stompbox modeler and then some different distortion pedals ( I liked that greenhouse one that I saw on here). thanks for your help guys

Vox Night-Train Stack and/or Fender Hot-Rod Deluxe III...both are 700$ and are some of the best tube amp's out for the money...The Night-Train is TONE,TONE,and more TONE...with plenty of gain on-tap and some of the best overdriven tones I have ever heard...The Fender Hot-Rod is the "chameleon" amp and nothing beats a fender clean tone..Perfect amp for pedals and showing the true nature of your guitar. [thumbup]

Of course there's plenty more....

Jet City

Laney ( new very affordable amps are coming out of Laney...gonna get one in the near future for sure...)

Peavey

All great choices.

I just bought a used Hot Rod Deluxe today.

In my very limited experience with it, I would totally agree with how you've described it here. Awesome clean channel, and just begging for a nice pedal to provide crunch. Some may like the onboard overdrive, and I don't hate it persay, it's just that's there's much better out there.

A nice overdrive pedal, and the clean channel, make this amp awesome.

well, it seems like fender is the most loved and I think most likely Im going to be using pedals for my tones more than the channels on the amp so I think the fender sounds about right. by the way, I plan on running like a line 6 M9 stompbox modeler and then some different distortion pedals ( I liked that greenhouse one that I saw on here). thanks for your help guys

If you're looking for a good OD, I highly recommend the Blackstone. It's kind of pricey, but I'm liking it better than my TS808.

newgear1a.jpg

thanks for the suggestion Mr. Natural. I was thinking about getting that line 6 M9, anyone try it? by the way, what exactly does the big eq thing next to it do? do you recommend having one?

It's the MXR 10-band graphic equalizer. It cuts or boosts different pitch frequencies. Ten band control is a lot more flexible and fine-tunable than the typical bass-treble or bass-mid-treble EQs found on a lot of amps and on pedals that have EQ as a secondary feature. I like it.

I seem to be one of the few who doesn't think the Class5 is that great...I've had two...(first had the rattling problem) and i find them to be very harsh when overdriven...and It does not take pedals well...IMO its a good one trick pony but not a very versatile amp...If I had the choice again I would of bought the Jet City 20 watt combo...for 100$ cheaper.

I have one and like it a lot but I'm a Marshall fan. Agreed Marshall's aren't all that versatile and they are very picky about guitars and pick-ups.

I have one and like it a lot but I'm a Marshall fan. Agreed Marshall's aren't all that versatile and they are very picky about guitars and pick-ups.

I was cool with the Mark 5 on passive pups but on actives I wasn’t wild about it.

Archived