Gibson Brands Forums

This is creepy

Californiaman

Whenever I hear about/see stuff like this I wonder why no one flagged this guy before the tragedy occurred? Didn't someone close to him know he was an accident waiting to happen? He's 22. Where are his parents? Are they fanatics/extremists too? How come no one saw this coming? Does the guy have a job? Didn't his co-workers notice anything unusual? I'm not trying to lay blame, but why the heck isn't this behaviour flagged before things go wrong? The last nutcase that went off and shot multiple people also had a seriously disturbed blog online. Maybe this stuff needs to be taken a bit more seriously. I guess the problem is, until he commits the crime, they can't get him on anything. Still, it would be nicer to be proactive instead of reactive.

Whenever I hear about/see stuff like this I wonder why no one flagged this guy before the tragedy occurred? Didn't someone close to him know he was an accident waiting to happen? He's 22. Where are his parents? Are they fanatics/extremists too? How come no one saw this coming? Does the guy have a job? Didn't his co-workers notice anything unusual? I'm not trying to lay blame, but why the heck isn't this behaviour flagged before things go wrong? The last nutcase that went off and shot multiple people also had a seriously disturbed blog online. Maybe this stuff needs to be taken a bit more seriously. I guess the problem is, until he commits the crime, they can't get him on anything. Still, it would be nicer to be proactive instead of reactive.

There are literally hundreds of thousands of "disturbed blogs" and websites online -- not to mention a great number of obviously disturbed individuals posting on internet forums. Where would one start, if one wanted to prevent this sort of occurrence? The Government knows of many dangerous criminals (drug dealers, pedophiles, terrorists, murderers, etc.), but it is in many cases illegal to act on this knowledge.

And where would one stop? Should one "profile" people according to their utterances and lock them away based on projections and predictions?

First let me say this; whatever he gets is too good for him.

Second I'll leave you with this thought. People accept that he was crazy without the influence of government and they're just pointing fingers at said government for a scapegoat. But how many of you would have nodded in agreement if they had found video games at his house and on his other social media?

Bottom line is that he was nuts period, it may have been a long period of influence of many factors, it's never just one thing.

It's quite the double standard to say that one can and one can't be an influencing factor. Keep this in mind the next time the news says Grand Theft Auto "made" some kid do something.

This morning one of the news shows featured content from an email sent by one of his fellow classmates from the first day of school at the community college they both attended.

They were certainly concerned about his presence in the classroom after the first day.

They're beginning to paint a very dark picture of this guy.

I guess it'll all come out in the wash over the next few days. Everyone and everything will be examining his parents, his past, his teachers, etc. I just can't help but think that someone knew this kid was a bit *off*.

I hear what your saying...but being a bit "off is not a crime.

Most musicians are a bit "off", but there's very little anyone can do about it. Thank goodness!

It is a sense of common decency that keeps people from actually going off the deep end and wreaking havoc.

Most of us know when to reign in the weirdness.

That young man didn't.

I hear what your saying...but being a bit "off is not a crime.

Most musicians are a bit "off", but there's very little anyone can do about it. Thank goodness!

It is a sense of common decency that keeps people from actually going off the deep end and wreaking havoc.

Most of us know when to reign in the weirdness.

That young man didn't.

His school counsellors were begging the parents to get him in to counselling. There were warning bells going off all over the place with this guy. Parents did nothing. Dad was abuser, mom was abused. No surprise there. The army wouldn't admit him. The neighbours were scared of his father. Ding ding ding!

In high school.....

zonakiller1.jpg

Now......

zonakiller.jpg

Karen...

I think you're reflecting what I consider the "modern" perspective on such stuff that in ways reflects your own background, but also is part of what most of us probably believe is a consideration. Then we hit the legalistic side that yeah, in today's world you can't force much on folks, at least not in the Anglophone world, until somebody breaks the law.

Some others blame the firearms and yet frankly a skilled person with nonprojectile arms can get a similar result. Certainly a motor vehicle can, and in recent years has been used also to strike out against crowds.

The thing that gets to me is that today's world seems to not only allow, but encourage a type of multiple murder that wasn't the case some few decades ago. Then we howl about it to promote our own various perspectives.

I don't, myself, blame objects. The 9-1-1 guys used airplanes. Others have used fertilizer. Etc., etc. And... we could have everyone armed and trained to face sociopathic criminals, yet a nut will find a way.

Again, I dunno. I fear a world where we can demand that a potential sociopath be institutionalized for public safety. The problem then becomes one of defining sociopath.

On the other hand, what is it about current world society that seems to make such behavior appear to be increasingly common? That's the question.

m

Is it an increase in commonality Milod? Or is it simply that the global village connects us to all of the horrors on a more regular basis than it did say, 100 years ago before the rapid transfer of information?

I'm not sure that humanity is on some kind of moral slide personally, I think we're just exposed to more than we ever were.

The Victorian English were convinced that stupidity and defective people were becoming a tide that was taking over the world, just around the time the global village was starting to take shape and the transfer of information over larger areas was becoming common. The Victorian era also believed in sterilization as a way of stopping certian "undesirables" from procreating. That was some scary stuff and shades of things to come in the 30's and 40's.

Whenever I hear about/see stuff like this I wonder why no one flagged this guy before the tragedy occurred? Didn't someone close to him know he was an accident waiting to happen? He's 22. Where are his parents?

It wouldn't be p.c. Probably considered an invasion of his personal privacy and liberty to call him a kook.

Are they fanatics/extremists too? How come no one saw this coming? Does the guy have a job? Didn't his co-workers notice anything unusual? I'm not trying to lay blame, but why the heck isn't this behavior flagged before things go wrong? The last nutcase that went off and shot multiple people also had a seriously disturbed blog online. Maybe this stuff needs to be taken a bit more seriously. I guess the problem is, until he commits the crime, they can't get him on anything. Still, it would be nicer to be proactive instead of reactive.

Sadly, parents can be the last to know as they live too close to the problem, and, he may have not been exhibiting 'unusual' behavior at home. The network media tried to make hay out of a plastic scull sculpture in his back yard, calling it a shrine... NBC, Where do you get these reporters? [cursing] While I would never hav a skull in my back yard, that type of macabre display is so ubiquitous, who knows if it's indicative of a man about to 'go off' on someone? It might have just been a left over decoration from Halloween.

They interviewed some class mates at the local junior college. To a man they said he was not right. But who are we to call the men in white coats? Right? Wrong? Seriously disturbed individuals get buy with a lot of stuff in the country until they kill someone. It's just the way we are. And the question gets asked again, "Didn't anyone see this coming?" The answer is, "Yes". But what are you going to do about it? Arrest him for talking incoherently?

A seriously disturbed young man with mental issues blended in with us for years. His psychiatrist knew he had some 'issues', but what can he do? He didn't 'hurt' anyone or threaten to 'hurt' anyone until he walked into a class room one day and killed five and wounded scores of others.

Archived