Gibson Brands Forums

Pedal signal chain

NeoConMan

Now you've got me thinking I need an MDV-2...

I was just checking out an OCD at GC the other day. Man.. I'm gonna have to replace my MXR Classic OD with one of those eventually.

Dub, checkout their Plimsoul as well...........

I put my vibe before my dirt. Plus by putting it before the switch it will affect the signal you send to the "clean amp".

SP, how does the Vibe work with no boost?

I mean, using it clean seems like a cool thing, but is the signal hot enough?

The guy that got me going on this is Audley Freed.

He had his own blues/rock band, Cry Of Love, in the nineties.

Joined the Black Crowes for several years after that, did the Jimmy Page/Greek thing too.

Anyhow, if you can YouTube anything from their two albums, you'll see what I mean.

Lotsa surprisingly clean Strat with a DejaVibe and not much else.

Saw 'em in 1994, he had like three pedals total.

First album was called Brother, second was Diamonds & Debris.

Let me know whatcha think.

Seems like Axe had said he played with them or something...

Neo...

Yeah, Cry of Love was cool. Killer vibe tone. "Highway Jones" lives on my iPod

As for my "clean" tone, well it's not really clean. I split my signal into a 18 watt Marshall

clone and/or a silver-face Fender Deluxe Reverb. While the Deluxe can be played pretty clean,

the way I have my board set up allows me to use some gain and boost on it. Perhaps a diagram

would help ...

Guitar --> Wah Wah --> Pickle Vibe --> COT50 --> switch

From the switch I send three signals...

#1 is dirty... switch --> Dragon Fuzz --> OCD --> Eternity Burst --> Delay --> 18 watt Marshall

#2 is "clean".. switch --> Tube Screamer --> Deluxe Reverb

#3 is tuner.. switch --> PolyTune

Everything before the switch affects any of the switch options. Therefore I can use the Vibe

totally clean through the Deluxe, bluesey dirty through the Deluxe, or screaming through the

Marshall - all good Vibey fun!

I guess my point was that placing the vibe before the switch gives you more tonal options as

long as it sounds okay in that position (which may depend on the other pedals you are using).

Neo, if you like the OCD pedal then check out the Tim pedal by Paul Cochrane . It is one of the most transparent overdrive pedals out there. It also is pretty reasonable. It has both an overdrive switch and a boost and an effects loop.

Also, Paul is a great guy. You can just call him and he answers his phone in his workshop (his garage). I think he charges about $170 for the pedal. They sell for about $250+ on ebay. Paul knows that he could get more for his peal

The only problem....there is a six month waiting list (at least) to get one. but it worth the wait.

I had the OCD and loved it. I just put my name on his list and forgot. I then got a call from him that it was ready. I paid for it, thinking I would end up putting it on ebay for a profit. I tried it and loved it. The Fulltone OCD ended up getting listed on ebay.

The guy doesn't even have a web site. It is just word of mouth. I think he also has a smaller non-boost version...the Timmy.

Here is his contact info. Don't bother with email. He doesn't check it.

"For the most part right now I sell the pedals direct.The Tim pedal is $169, and the smaller Timmy pedal is $129.That includes shipping and a full weeks trial with a full refund.There is a bit of a wait though...When you call I can give you a rough estimate.Because of the wait you don't pay until the pedal is ready - no deposit.

The best way to contact me is by phone.My number is 615-896-8555.I'd rather not get pm's from forums or messages from myspace.I'm not the most organized guy, and it's hard for me to keep track of things when orders come in from a bunch of different sources. My home email is paulcochrane@comcast.net"

Going to add one comment based on what I learned redoing my pedal board three times in the past six months.

If I were you I would put the TU2 at least after the Fulltone OCD.

The Boss TU2 is a buffer pedal (not true bypass) so I *highly* advise putting it after any pedal that works with your guitar's pickups; like a high end OD or fuzz pedal. Buffer pedals will affect your signal so that you will not get the full tonal benefits of adjusting the guitar's volume or your picking aggressiveness. On my board nothing that is not true mechanical bypass goes before my Fuzzfactory & OD808.

Going to add one comment based on what I learned redoing my pedal board three times in the past six months.

The Boss TU2 is a buffer pedal (not true bypass) so I *highly* advise putting it after any pedal that works with your guitar's pickups; like a high end OD or fuzz pedal. Buffer pedals will affect your signal so that you will not get the full tonal benefits of adjusting the guitar's volume or your picking aggressiveness. On my board nothing that is not true mechanical bypass goes before my Fuzzfactory & OD808.

Neo- may I recommend the Polytune? I believe it is true bypass, and tuning with it is pretty cool [thumbup]

Treadle version.

That fxcking Fulltone OCD pedal.... [cursing]

Ruined EVERYTHING for me.

I've been perfectly happy with nothing but a cord between my guitar and amp for 30 years.

I mean, a GOOD guitar, a GOOD amp, and a GOOD cable - Heavenly.

I started messing around with the OCD a year ago, and it all started.

Where I was always content to use onboard gain on all my amps, the OCD into a clean amp is COOL AS HELL.

Finally, I couldn't go back.

Im with ya NEO....nothing beats the OCD into a clean amp ...especially a "fender" like amp....It is the best OD pedal I've come across and surprisingly was my first OD pedal as well ( as well as being the pedal that started me on this long pedal journey)..welcome to pedal addict club Neo...and if you want your OCD to really shine? Run it at 18V and put a Fulltone Fat-Boost3 behind it...and BAM your in OD/distortion heaven!

PS: Fred also makes a GREAT point...the Polytune would really help from some of the "tone-suck" especially that your using other boss (non-true bypass) pedals. And the fact that it's just the most kickass tuner to hit guitarist pedal-boards..

I've been perfectly happy with nothing but a cord between my guitar and amp for 30 years.

Where I was always content to use onboard gain on all my amps, the OCD into a clean amp is COOL AS HELL.

Welcome to the dark side. [flapper]

Treadle version.

Oh, you mean it's nice to have more than one overdrive tone at your command? Where have I heard this before? [confused][flapper]

Nice to see you've come around to broadening your sonic horizons. As for you orginal topic question, looks good to me. If the Boss TU-2 is a tone sucker you might want to get a tuner that's not in your pedal chain. Lots of people tell my my Fender pedal tuner is a tone sucker, but I don't hear a big enough difference to change it.

If you were building that board for me, however, I'd stick another Overdrive in before the wah (a TS-9 but I'm a TS head), that way you have the choice of "Quack" or "No Quack".

Generally, that's the same order I have, with a couple of different pedals substituted here and there.

I don't know how I lived this long without a tuner foot pedal, in this instance the Boss like Neo has. I have a good ear, but I use this fothermucker ALL the time. [thumbup]

Thanks for the info evol. I am going to mess with my board now after reading this. I have my BOSS tuner before my distortion, maybe I am making a mistake. I am going to tear it down and try the tuner in different spots. May find a better sounding combo.

I gave up finding the "ultimate" board a long time ago because I am always learning stuff like this. I was gonna get my combo down then transfer my pedals to a really nice "store bought" board, but instead I just keep redoing it in the name of improvements and keep hacking and painting homemade wood boards, works for now.

Thanks again.

Thanks for the info evol. I am going to mess with my board now after reading this. I have my BOSS tuner before my distortion, maybe I am making a mistake. I am going to tear it down and try the tuner in different spots. May find a better sounding combo.

I gave up finding the "ultimate" board a long time ago because I am always learning stuff like this. I was gonna get my combo down then transfer my pedals to a really nice "store bought" board, but instead I just keep redoing it in the name of improvements and keep hacking and painting homemade wood boards, works for now.

Thanks again.

As they say in Quebec, de rien. I used to just throw pedals on my board haphazardly. Not like it mattered since I had so many. Hey, it was the nineties; era of three tiered boards. When I started playing guitar again in 2002 I scaled back a lot to tuner, fuzz, OD, and a phaser. A year ago I started reading up on pedal boards and signal chains. Took me three tries, but I think I am there. Using O2 free Copper cables can't hurt my sound either.

Here is what now looks like. Can you tell that I love homemade pedal boards? The only thing you cannot see is my Sole-Mate spring reverb box. It comes after the Carbon Copy.

l_dbb8b22041464015924a10869e8cd605.jpg

As they say in Quebec, de rien. I used to just throw pedals on my board haphazardly. Not like it mattered since I had so many. Hey, it was the nineties; era of three tiered boards. When I started playing guitar again in 2002 I scaled back a lot to tuner, fuzz, OD, and a phaser. A year ago I started reading up on pedal boards and signal chains. Took me three tries, but I think I am there. Using O2 free Copper cables can't hurt my sound either.

Here is what now looks like. Can you tell that I love homemade pedal boards? The only thing you cannot see is my Sole-Mate spring reverb box. It comes after the Carbon Copy.

l_dbb8b22041464015924a10869e8cd605.jpg

Nice wallpaper on the board [biggrin]

Mine is just unfinished, think I might paint it one day, but the outside board says STUD so I think I might leave that like it came from Home Depot [thumbup]

Nice wallpaper on the board [biggrin]

Mine is just unfinished, think I might paint it one day, but the outside board says STUD so I think I might leave that like it came from Home Depot [thumbup]

STUD. You cannot buy that.

It's actually contact paper. I like to use it because you can wipe it down. You should have seen the sweat, beer, and dirt on this sucker when I redid the board late last year.

STUD. You cannot buy that.

It's actually contact paper. I like to use it because you can wipe it down. You should have seen the sweat, beer, and dirt on this sucker when I redid the board late last year.

Yeah its pretty sweet. The wood on the other side looks better, but it doesn't say stud.

Mine is starting to get kinda grubby, but I'll just chalk it up to pedal board mojo.

I need more velcro...

Archived