Gibson Brands Forums

Funny sayings

LarryUK

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Does the USA have their kids say 'it's bad' meaning 'good'?

Yes, people in the US sometimes say something is "bad", meaning that it is incredibly good. So, if you saw a very nice Gibson SG, you could exclaim "That thing is bad!", or "That is so bad!".

But I think using "bad", as slang is a little out of vogue these days. Seems like I am hearing "awesome", "tight", "sick", and "clutch" more often now to mean "good".

"Fly", "fat", and "dope" were popular for a while too.

But what do I know, I am just an old Geezer.

I I had a English secretary who used to keep me laughing.

Anybody she didn't like was a "Rotter"

When it would get real busy at work she would say that it was going "10 to the Dozen"

She called one time to tell me she was "Stuck in a Que on a Roundabout" I guess that means there was a line on the highway? I thought she was at a oil change place they called Q-Lube.

She used to always say she had to Nip out to get something out of her hood? a hood in America is where your engine is at or a really bad neighborhood!

The first week she she worked for me some 20+ years ago I asked her where another coworker had gone and she looked up and said "oh he went out to suck on a F-a-g" I actually spit coffee all over the desk and had to correct that one pretty quickly.

----

My grandpa used to have some good ones - he used to say it was Darker than the inside of a snakes ***! how he knew how dark a snakes *** was I don't know and never asked?

He used to also say that anybody that worked for the government was "more useless than a bag of ball peen hammers when you need to pull out a nail?

I miss some of the old saying somehow they were more colorful than typing LOL on your phone!

"Bob's your Uncle" What the hell does that mean?

My favorite sayings are:

" I hate to be the turd in the punch bowl" - Meaning I hate to ruin your little happy party.

" I guess I can polish that Turd" - Meaning making something bad the best it can be.

" Are you smelling what I'm Stepping in?" Meaning are you following me ( understanding me? ) If you are your following so close you could smell if I stepped in something stinky!

" Well Poop!" - Meaning - Obvious ... I'm almost 42 and the word poop still makes me laugh!

Hmmm I see a theme here.msp_unsure.gif

Andy, your sayings follow a particular theme. You a household effluent engineer by chance?

Dumber than a box of rocks

These can be considered Clampettisms and are somewhat dated. I use them from time to time. I'm dated too.

This hill has more 'taters than I thought --- There is more to this than I had expected.

Acts like his saw done hit a knot --- behaving erratically or crazy

More holes than the back road into Bug Tussle. --- has a lot of holes or pot-holes.

Lower than a snakes belly in a wagon rut. --- a. Feeling depressed b. being low down and shifty, depending upon the usage.

You look like Sunday morning and are smelling like Saturday afternoon. --- Dressed to kill with Sunday-go-to-meetin' clothes and have good smelling cologne on like one might after visitin' the barber on Saturday afternoon before going out on the town.

Slick 'em smell 'em. Hair tonic and / or cologne, probably witch hazel.

More ways that kraut lays in a barrel. (Refers to sauerkraut.) --- i.e. innumerable ways.

I'd like to say, "He ain't his self," but I'm afraid he is. --- subject is acting in the usual manner.

She can build a barn out of a berry box. --- very resourceful or talented

He's such a liar he had to get someone else to call his dog. --- dishonest

He laid around the house so much his maw had to dust him. --- lazy.

Sings so bad the cats would throw things at him. --- he sings badly

Treating us like polecats at a picnic. --- As polecat is a colloquealism for skunk, being treated as an unwelcome guest.

Prettier'n Sun-up. --- Quite beautiful. Usually refers to Elly May.

The greatest joy of livin' is the the joy that comes from givin' --- Jed Clampett saying

She's so skinny, you couldn't hit her with a handful of corn. --- Quite skinny in deed.

Hoe

English-Gardening tool

American-Slaggy woman

But just for the record can I say that us brits do use both meanings. For example someone mentioned boot. Us brits use it for the car "trunk" and for our shoes.

Hoe

English-Gardening tool

American-Slaggy woman {* EDIT Urban slang. In the country a hoe is still a garden implement.}

But just for the record can I say that us brits do use both meanings. For example someone mentioned boot. Us brits use it for the car "trunk" and for our shoes.

Just for the record 'boot' in American parlance means "as well" as in "You can buy this car for your car in trade and $1500 boot"

Years ago it would have been, "... and $1500 to boot," but in recent years the word 'to' has been dropped.

Just for the record 'boot' in American parlance means "as well" as in "You can buy this car for your car in trade and $1500 boot"

Years ago it would have been, "... and $1500 to boot," but in recent years the word 'to' has been dropped.

I recognise the "to boot" but have never jst heard of it using jst boot. But then again as you said, it was recently dropped.

My Grandmother, pi$$ up a rope = F*#K Off

A Friends Mom, I'm so hungry I could eat the a$$ end out of a hobby horse and I'm so hungry my a$$ hole's eating my under ware.

He/she is not the brightest light on the Marquee = Not so smart.

Your a french fry shy of a happy meal - 5150

Cold enough to freeze the balls on a brass monkey.

The monkey being the stand that cannon balls were stored on on ships I do believe.

Not sure about the Ball Monkey, but the one what went to the powder storage to fetch a charge of powder is called a Powder Monkey. I believe this is one step above the position of thumber.

When we were kids and someone would wear pants that were too short, we would say "where's the flood?" and short pants became known as floods.

But one of the funniest things I heard was this "brother" I used to work with who said to someone about their pants being to short "say man, pull your shoes up!" [lol]

Archived