Gibson Brands Forums

I'm Slow At Changing Strings

neilpanda

Well, its about time for a string change on my guitar. Its been 3 months since the last one.

The last time I changed strings, I realized i am SLOW!!! It took me about an hour to restring my

strat! Anyway, Im off...see you guys in an hour! [flapper] Oh Im using the same ol'e Ernie Ball Slinky's [thumbup]

Electric and Acoustic is between 20 and 30.

Same here if it's just a string change, but I usually take the opportunity to a good "once over"; tighten loose stuff, dust, polish, clean, oil fretboard if due, etc. I normally set aside about 90 minutes per guitar & that turns out about right unless I need some serious adjustments to action, intonation or the like. Then, it is what it is. [rolleyes]

It also helps to have a dedicated work space & the right tools out too. Big advocate of the Ernie Ball autowinder here!! No affiliation, just a happy user.

http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ernie-Ball-PowerPeg-Battery-Powered-String-Winder?sku=369946

i'm quite slow at it, but i'm not in a race and I always use changes as opportunity for a good "once over" cleanup and setup check.

i'm also one of the few here that prefers to let strings "settle in" and use them a good while before changing them again,

I use Regular Slinkys on my Gibbys/Epis and Super Slinkys on my Fenders.....Ernie Ball strings sound good for a long time.

Twenty minutes. Ten with Sperzel-type locking tuners. Thirty if I also polish the guitar or clean/condition the frets/fretboard.

If you don't have a tool for spinning the tuners, you definitely need to get one.

haha me too, I actually did it twice today, and almost ripped my shorts [flapper]

Same here last week. 2 stabs.

Takes me about 5 minutes per string with a quick buffing and nut lube.

Locking tuners? No time at all.

Does anyone else find changing strings a bit of a pain in the ...? I usually hate my new strings until they've been played a few hours and tuned many times. Even with stretching.

Dave

I'm slow too, especially since I try to take my time and wipe things down. An hour, easy. It worries me sometimes, because I was warned that having the strings off too long can hurt the neck, because of the tension in the truss rod. I only take half off at a time, but still... [bored]

I also can go a very long time before my strings sound to me like they need a change. I know that with my acoustic it's just because I get used to the different sound - new strings are definitely better. But I've payed close attention with my Les Paul, and I'm not convinced new strings are better. I like them better after a couple of sessions to break them in.

Lastly, though nobody asked [biggrin] I like D'addarios. They may not sound the best for the first week or so, but they hold their sound longer than anything else I've tried. YMMV.

If you don't have a tool for spinning the tuners, you definitely need to get one.

Got one. Im just slow. [flapper]

Same here last week. 2 stabs.

Takes me about 5 minutes per string with a quick buffing and nut lube.

Locking tuners? No time at all.

Does anyone else find changing strings a bit of a pain in the ...? I usually hate my new strings until they've been played a few hours and tuned many times. Even with stretching.

Dave

yea I hate em too. they feel slippery now and I cant do any bends! [cursing]

Takes me forever..here is how I change strings

E-one rye

A-one rye

D-one rye

G-one rye

B-one rye

E-one rye

Usually takes me 3 hours to change them and that's if I don't start drinking early. If that happens, guitar gets restrung backwards lol

I SOLD my one and only Floyd Rose-equipped guitar because I didn't have the patience for string changes...

That was 30 years ago though.

Now that I understand a little more about how all that stuff works, I still won't own one. [-(

I changed the strings on mt Songwriter Deluxe last night. Took close to 90 minutes by the time it was finished and tuned/played/tuned for a while.

Although not every time I change strings (one in 3 times possibly) I give her a good cleaning, a light polishing and gentle fondling.

Last night I did it while watching Top Gear...

Archived