Gibson Brands Forums

Got a MacBook Pro

Riffster

I've had bad computer karma lately,

My 8-year old Dell desktop does not do the job for recording even after upgrading its memory to the max. Now the CD drive is going out, it won't read.

My 2-year old HP laptop with Vista, has been glitchy from the beginning, now the fan is noisy and the screen has a false contact, a true P.O.S.

I got a MacBook Pro last week to be able to have a reliable computer and to record with GarageBand.

So far I have spent an hour on the phone with Mac support because Safari just won't hunt, any website is too much so it constantly freezes. Downloaded Firefox and it is better but still a freaking struggle just to surf the web.

Mac support had to put my case with a Senior advisor because they can't really figure out with this computer freezes and hesitates (note my double posts lately)

So why are Macs so highly regarded? because I have had problems downloading programs as well, even Apple programs. I look for solutions on the web and most Mac enthusiasts blame other softwares for their internet under-performance.

I am going to be watching this thing like a hawk and if it keeps like this it is going back.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry to hear that. I've never had a lick of trouble with my MacBook Pro (or my wife's

MacBook). We use a variety of browsers with no trouble. (I generally use Firefox, for

most tasks though). They have both been zippy and reliable. I doubled the RAM recently,

but they were really fine with the factory installed amounts. Perhaps you genuinely

do have a lemon (it happens) in which case I'd definitely ask for a replacement.

My wife and I were converted. Two Macs (one desk top, one lap top) two years, no problems.

The only "issue" I had was connecting my guitar to the computer. I bought a Griffin iMic to be able to do it but I found there was a slight delay between me hitting the string and then hearing it through the speakers. I may have asked this in the past but can't remember - what do you guys use to connect your guitar to Garage Band and how well does it work?

I have a macbook pro and have used it for many years. NO Problems at all. I have never used it to record but have been giving that some thought lately. I have a grandson who wants one badly but his dad wants them to use windows machines for future use in business.

Take your MacPro to an Apple Store and let the genius group look at your problem. Maybe they will exchange on the spot or at least solve your issues.

I am coming to the conclusion that I need to, it is not going to get better, I mean I was aware of the issues with Macs and Flash but this thing was slow before I downloaded it.

Only iPads have flash issues as far as i know....i've never heard of any flash issues with the regular Mac OS...

I've been working with Macs for years and never had the kind of problems you're having. I currently have a MacBook Pro and a MacBook--no problems whatsoever. I've never heard of a MacLemon but fear that this is what you may have gotten. I would definitely see about getting it replaced--somethin' just ain't right with it.

I will keep using this Mac and see if it gets to 100%, I have been tiling a couple of bathrooms so I have not had a lot of time to play with it more.

Firefox is still slow, eventhough the speed of my browser at home is fast. One time it will load a page quickly and then 5 minutes later the same page will take 30 seconds to respond. My iPod Touch is faster using the same connection.

My confidence in Apple products is not solid yet, our first iPod, a Classic 80 crapped out after 1 year and 10 months, I posted here for help but the iPod never worked right again. I replaced that with a Classic 160GB for my wife and an iPod Touch 32GB for myself and so far so good.

My wife and I were converted. Two Macs (one desk top, one lap top) two years, no problems.

The only "issue" I had was connecting my guitar to the computer. I bought a Griffin iMic to be able to do it but I found there was a slight delay between me hitting the string and then hearing it through the speakers. I may have asked this in the past but can't remember - what do you guys use to connect your guitar to Garage Band and how well does it work?

I have an apogee one, and it is excellent. In addition to plugging in a guitar, it's got a built in condenser mic. Nice n small too, just a little larger than the iMic.

The only "issue" I had was connecting my guitar to the computer. I bought a Griffin iMic to be able to do it but I found there was a slight delay between me hitting the string and then hearing it through the speakers.

It's called latency and there are many ways to deal with it. It's been a long time since I recorded on my Mac. I remember tweaking some preferences and using an M Audio interface. I'm sure if you posted a thread, one of the more knowledgeable members could give you better advice than I could.

I have an apogee one, and it is excellent. In addition to plugging in a guitar, it's got a built in condenser mic. Nice n small too, just a little larger than the iMic.

+1

Apogees are the bees knees. They are expensive, but worth it. I hope to get one soon. Real nice set up

BTW, I am a huge Mac fan, and I actually do know some stuff about that. I would return your Mac and get a new one since its acting up, shouldn't be doing that at all

Archived