Gibson Brands Forums

One-a my favorite guitarists

Shnate McDuanus

OK, first: if you dislike the style and feel that you're only going to say something disparaging about the style (i.e. it has no soul, it's speed for speed's sake, it's tasteless,) I would advise you to look elsewhere--anyone who will care to enjoy what I'm about to post will have heard it all before and will not care about how much you think it sucks. Go start a shred-bashing thread if you'd like. Of course I can't really stop you, and I can't do anything but disagree with you, but please, it's not fair to the fans and it's not fair to the performers.

Again, do as you like. I can't really do anything to you (nor can anybody else) for simply stating your opinion, but hey, nobody needs the drama. I'm just providing a reminder here and a disclaimer, so people know what to expect from the videos.

That said, I'd like to bring up to the stage Mr. Paul Gilbert!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8zE-hEkILs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ha-PJNeLk9g

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

PG is my fav guitarist. He's awesome, I want to join his student list but my parents wont pay for it :( Way too expensive to be taught by a master of shred.

Hasnt he released like 4 solo albums in 2010 alone? thats impressive.

No doubt, he's great in everything he does but everyone only remembers "Next to be with you." That is not his best work.

I remember him from Mr. Big because it paired him with Billy Sheehan. when I saw them open for Rush in '91 I was thinking "Oh Great, two of the best instrumentalist play Rock Ballads." What I got was an intense Hour and a Half of shredding, riffing, melodies, harmonies, good singing, solid songs (which guitar acrobats often lack), and a parade of cool Ibanez Guitars (including a Fringed one, a Glow in the Dark one, and that doubleneck). Of course I had a new appreciation for Gilbert, Sheehan and Mr. Big after that.

They ended with "Addicted to the Rush" and Rush started with "Big Money". Very classy on both parts.

First off, over the past few months I've come to see shredding as something that requires a lot of skill, and is not necessarily soulless. any type of music can be soulless, blues, jazz, all of it. I've seen shredders put soul into a guitar just like I would! I have begun to bond with music more, (shall we say) metal-like recently. Playing like that takes a lot of practice, dedication, and ultimately skill. For that they have my respect, and when it sounds good, hey it sounds good.

I remember him from Mr. Big because it paired him with Billy Sheehan. when I saw them open for Rush in '91 I was thinking "Oh Great, two of the best instrumentalist play Rock Ballads." What I got was an intense Hour and a Half of shredding, riffing, melodies, harmonies, good singing, solid songs (which guitar acrobats often lack), and a parade of cool Ibanez Guitars (including a Fringed one, a Glow in the Dark one, and that doubleneck). Of course I had a new appreciation for Gilbert, Sheehan and Mr. Big after that.

They ended with "Addicted to the Rush" and Rush started with "Big Money". Very classy on both parts.

I have learned so much from his instructional DVDs and youtube videos. Paul is king for so many reasons. I would not be the guitarist I am today without him.

That's some good stuff! I really like "Scarify". =D>

I kind of got away from that type of guitar playing at the end of the 80s, but still get in the mood to listen to it every now and then. I had an instructional VHS tape of PG sometime around 1990 or so. I bet if I searched my house, I could find it again. The one part I really remember about it, was that he attached a pick to an electric drill for some impossibly fast picking.

One-a my favorite threads [biggrin] As I frequently say here in the lounge: "Paul Gilbert FTW!"

i'm gonna buy 2 PGM's, one in white with black f's and one blue with pink f's...which one should i send you? [biggrin]

:^o

i'm gonna buy 2 PGM's, one in white with black f's and one blue with pink f's...which one should i send you? [biggrin]

Surprise me....I'm still torn. Although, IF I am gonna get one, I will have the spare $ on 2/25/11....I found out how much my annual bonus pay out is gonna be. \ [biggrin] / I can buy 1 of each and a few bucks to spare but I need to save save save. Going to Amsterdam for a few days in August.

Surprise me....I'm still torn. Although, IF I am gonna get one, I will have the spare $ on 2/25/11....I found out how much my annual bonus pay out is gonna be. \ [biggrin] / I can buy 1 of each and a few bucks to spare but I need to save save save. Going to Amsterdam for a few days in August.

in that case YOU can buy two and send ME one [flapper]

[biggrin]

Archived