Gibson Brands Forums

David Lee Roth working with Van Halen

NeoConMan

Well for for me at my old age,,VH was best with DLR,but i can say there was some good tunes with Sammy,,but I don't think with either frontman they can sound nearly as good without Michael's backup,,that's the signature sound with any singer.

I'm taking the opinion that I'm not expecting it to be very good, but holding some hope that I might be pleasantly surprised.

I love the early VH stuff (VH II especially) but think that time has moved on and I have doubts that they will produce anything relevant for today. More than likely Dave will try to rehash some party anthem stuff and end up looking silly. I also wonder how much voice he has left. I have no doubt that Eddie still has chops. I just wonder if he still has "songs" left in him.

We'll see.

Only Eric Clapton has made more stupid band/career moves than Eddie - and fared somewhat better if I may say so...

i would have loved to have seen EC when he was touring with Albert Lee.

but yes, he's a "survivor." :)

wanted to see VH last time around, but way too pricy. maybe next time... can't imagine them without Michael Anthony's backing vocals tho.

Every time I saw Van Halen the shows got shorter.

Once, they even did a "medley" of hits - combining 3 or 4 songs into one.

WTF? [crying]

I thought surely they would go back into those songs and do 'em right, but NOOOOOO.....

They were off the stage in 90 minutes.

Saw Sammy Hagar the next year - he commented about that from the stage.

Said his "old" band just trotted through the songs so they could get in the limo and head to the hotel.

Sammy played for 3 1/2 hours that night.

Had a point to prove I suppose - and he did it....

The Michael Anthony thing bothers me too (unless Michael CHOOSES not to participate). Same with Gene Simmons underestimating Ace Frehley's importance to KISS and putting an imposter in the spaceman makeup and making him try to mimic every lick. That's just really really nuts. The fans are not stupid and when you insult them like that, look out!

Archived