Gibson Brands Forums

Why I live in Tennessee

ChanMan

I had a flat today. My spare, as it turned out, was also flat. I've got a can of fix-a-flat, and am willing to use it, but....

Up pulls a little Toyota pick up truck and a guy hops out and asks if there is anything he can do to help. I told him "yeah, if you happen to have an air compressor in the back of your truck".

He says "no, but I could have.... I got a tire repair shop about 3 miles down the road".

He takes my flat spare and leaves... says he'll be back after he inflates the tire.

A complete and total stranger just took my only good tire and drove off with no more than a vague description of where he was going or when he'd be back.

Could you do that where you live?

Out here where I live, this is no cause for concern. This is Tennessee. He was back within 20 minutes. Patched a hole in the spare, put in a new valve stem and fixed where it was leaking around the rim. He proceded to put the tire back on the truck for me too.

Total cost?

$0.00

Yep. Free, and nothing more than a handshake and a thank you.

THIS is why I live in Tennessee... no signage saying the US has abandoned parts of the state, no concerns about thugs taking your stuff or any of that. Good, trustworthy people who take honor seriously and would rather lose a limb than their good name.

I hope you folks live in similar places, but if not, y'all come!

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought you said they were considering colorado?

I'll pass on Tenn - I lived in Alabama for 10 years and that was enough.

They were talking about Colorado, and its still a possibility, but my dad does business with quite a few people in Tenn and would be able to probably get a better job out there.

I'm still not sure, they don't fill me in on a lot of the stuff

It's Karma Cman! You're a good guy. Glad you got some help.

I had very kind lady who I had never met in my life give me a $150.00 at a bus station in Dallas (without me asking) to help me get home when I was 18. Never will forget that.

Andy

You night know why I knew that next time you're on Searcy road in Portland. [biggrin]

Ahhh!!!!

Can ya see the little light bulb come on!

I'm in the heart of Oak Grove. I can see the Presbyterian Church from my back yard....

It's Karma Cman! You're a good guy. Glad you got some help.

I had very kind lady who I had never met in my life give me a $150.00 at a bus station in Dallas (without me asking) to help me get home when I was 18. Never will forget that.

Andy

I believe in Karma. I hope I've been a good enough guy to warrant this kind of fortune :).

We never forget those who open their hearts when we need it most. Have you payed it forward?

Happens in California where I live, Texas where I used to live and Arkansas where I grew up, gotta recognize scammers and BSers and avoid them. Have definitely had those experiences. Some fellow man are good people, like me and my family. Recognizing them may not be so easy,

I thought it was because you can still make moonshine in them there hollers. :-({|==D> :-"

J/K, There is a certain Something about the folks from Tenn. and Kentucky I've met and worked with, which is a lot, from my Reserve unit--just damn good people.

Here, in the wrong area, they would have pawned my tires to buy a weapon with which to come back and rob me!

I lived 8 years in Memphis. I had plenty of friends I'd trust, but... not the general run of folks. In fact, rather to the contrary.

Maybe around Nashville or so...

It's my observation that where people are just folks whether they're relatively wealthy or dirt poor, there's more of that sort of helping; in subcultures where there are the "good people" and those considered "trash" even if they put themselves through college with military service, etc., it just ain't so.

Maybe I'm a little cynical.

Pretty good bunch of folks around where I live.

-------

As for the good things done for us when we've needed a bit of help... I know I've had the benefit of that; I sometimes think you never really can "pay forward" on it. I try when I can; I hope some folks I've tried to give a hand to have done and will do the same. It makes for a lot nicer life.

m

Sorry to say it but not any more. I'm in a much more urban area I could almost guarantee not many people would stop to help a motorist maybe if it was an elderly person or an attractive woman but an adult man not a chance they would drive by trying not to make eye contact, unless your in the roadway than they would honk and yell obscenities.

That said however there would be 6 gas stations within a mile of where you broke down.

Phoenix isn't a bad place in many area's but there are a few you should stay out of. I usually tell friends that are visiting and stay downtown to just look up at the street lights if it's decorative your in Copper Square or one of the other touristy area's with lot's of people walking around and lot's of cops, but walk too far away from there and look up again, if it's a regular old streetlight than run back towards the brighter and much safer parts of the city.

Phoenix is like a lot of large Urban cities now It's one of those cities that you can be in a high end boutique or bar that's charging 18 dollars for a drink walk out turn the wrong way and in a block your no longer in yuppie heaven but rather in a group of hard core drunks and addicts waiting for the local blood bank to open so they can get a few bucks.

I believe in Karma. I hope I've been a good enough guy to warrant this kind of fortune :).

We never forget those who open their hearts when we need it most. Have you payed it forward?

Yes, actually I have. Many times and In many ways... For friends, coworkers and strangers... I truly believe you get back from the world and life what you put in to it. I also believe people cause a ripple effect of good and bad, positive and negative. Sometimes you get caught by a negative ripple you or someone else created and sometimes you get caught by a positive ripple. Just depends on where you are sitting in the pool at the time. Thus the more people causing positive ripples the better! Don't pee in the pool!

i saw the title of the thread and immediately thought "All my Ex's live in Texas." at least that's why George Strait hangs his hat there... :)

i've never really lived anywhere where i expected this sort of thing: it must be very nice.

-Don

Archived