Gibson Brands Forums

Why I live in Tennessee

ChanMan

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some pretty good stories on this thread. Thanks for sharing.

Maybe its different for women, or maybe it just feels that way, but I'm not comfortable anywhere past a certain hour. City, town, white, black, suburb, trailer park, freeway...

If I'm not in a well lit area, I feel apprehension when any guy offers assistance, even a cop. I wish I could pass off as a dude sometimes xD

a Northeast Alabama version of the story.........

for the last 15 yrs (+/-) i've carried a tire plug set, a "chinese soup cup" full of plugs, and a car adapter compressor in every vehicle I own....not only for myself, but for stranded motorists, especially on 4WD trails.

the reason for so many plugs, is I once had to use 19 plugs in one hole, to get my cousins truck out of the woods, and it WORKED !! he was out planting....ummmm....lettuce....and hit a "jeep trap" (a lawnmower blade half buried in a trail & covered w/brush)...he calls me on his cell, I come fix him up, he treats me really well the following October.....win/win for everyone.

he swapped his ruined tire as soon as we got back to town btw, never ever run a tire long with more than 1 plug in it.

I had a flat today. My spare, as it turned out, was also flat. I've got a can of fix-a-flat, and am willing to use it, but....

Up pulls a little Toyota pick up truck and a guy hops out and asks if there is anything he can do to help. I told him "yeah, if you happen to have an air compressor in the back of your truck".

He says "no, but I could have.... I got a tire repair shop about 3 miles down the road".

He takes my flat spare and leaves... says he'll be back after he inflates the tire.

A complete and total stranger just took my only good tire and drove off with no more than a vague description of where he was going or when he'd be back.

Could you do that where you live?

Out here where I live, this is no cause for concern. This is Tennessee. He was back within 20 minutes. Patched a hole in the spare, put in a new valve stem and fixed where it was leaking around the rim. He proceded to put the tire back on the truck for me too.

Total cost?

$0.00

Yep. Free, and nothing more than a handshake and a thank you.

THIS is why I live in Tennessee... no signage saying the US has abandoned parts of the state, no concerns about thugs taking your stuff or any of that. Good, trustworthy people who take honor seriously and would rather lose a limb than their good name.

I hope you folks live in similar places, but if not, y'all come!

I live in Halifax, and yes, yes I can. I also had a tire place plug a tire for me at no charge when a screw went through the tread. Life is good here.

Great stories all.........I've been networking with a bunch of Nashville singer / songwriters lately, and some are THE top writers from and in Nashville....At first it horrified and scared me; All country music and Christian folks..

As I've gotten to know them, they all seem to be wonderful folks, and they all love Tennesee........So, I can clearly see why you love Tennesee ChanMan.............I'm already scheduled to spend some time there next year...

Gotta find me a Cowboy hat first !!!!!! And some snakeskin boots.....And I'll have to learn how to say " Well howdy there folks.."

I live in Toronto....though not as safe as Halifax, Owl, a lot safer than most would think (or have been told!). I've had plenty of situations where I thought i might be in trouble, but the people I came across surprised me.

The myth about all Canadians being polite and friendly is just that - a myth...but there are plenty of good people to overcompensate for the bad.

Here's another Tennessee story.

We live in East Tennessee. My wife's driving along and rear ends this guy. She hits him in the rear of his utility trailer - one of these trailers that the guy hauls his lawn mowers around on. She rides up on the trailer a little and bends one of the ramps and does a little customizing on her van. She puts a big gash in her tire and its flat.

So the guy gets out and says "Don't worry about the trailer". Then he spends the next half hour changing her tire. The spare is up under the van in the center of the chassis - almost impossible to get to. All the time he's telling her how sorry he is that she has to out there on the road and telling her how nice a husband she has for making sure the right tools are in the van.

Then the guy just finishes up and drives off with his bent trailer - like "Have a nice day, Ma'am."

[thumbup]

noticed you're in Jonesborough (sp?).....my wife attended Davy Crocket High School from 80-83.....says one year the school was closed for snow/ice the entire month of February.

I'm related by marraige (on my Moms side) to the half million members of the Pippin family around 'lizabethton & Johnson City....used to go up for family reunions....man, thats Gods country up there !

noticed you're in Jonesborough (sp?).....my wife attended Davy Crocket High School from 80-83.....says one year the school was closed for snow/ice the entire month of February.

I'm related by marraige (on my Moms side) to the half million members of the Pippin family around 'lizabethton & Johnson City....used to go up for family reunions....man, thats Gods country up there !

Went to school at TN Tech with a Pippin. GREAT folks, they are!

Gimme a shout when you get to Nashville Damian and we'll do dinner if you have the time :)

Nashville songwriters are top notch... 3 chords and a truth FTW!

I don't know if I could ever experience that where I live.

Here on the Central Coast a guy would probably get robbed and stabbed by some illegal aliens.

If not that kidnapped and sexually assaulted by some crazy sexual deviant.

Run down on the side of the road by a female teenage cell phone texter.

We had a guy get his head chopped off early last year by a hatchet wielding meth zombie.

Oh my gosh did I just say that.

"A hatchet wielding meth zombie!" Arrrrghhhh!. [scared]

not gonna happen here in couver. the police wont even give you a chance.

theyll pull up, find out both your tires are flat, then call a tow truck.

so people dont even have a chance to help out [angry] but pretty much

everybody is anal about their spares, so theyll always be inflated [flapper]

A couple summers ago I rode my bike from my home in Michigan, took the ferry across to Wisconsin, through that state, then Minnesota, then South Dakota, then into Wyoming, then back through North Dakota, Minnesota, Wisconsin, and through Michigan's UP and back home.

Seven weeks and 3000+ miles on the road. Never met a bad soul. Never felt endangered. Helped along the way by countless acts of generosity, kindness, and hospitality. Was fed by people, even invited into some folks' homes.

I knew good things would happen on the trip, but the goodness in people renewed my faith in our society.

~DB

Thanks for the compliment. Its a beautiful area.

Some young guy showed up at the house at 2 A.M. one time needing some gas. He called through the open window. He's like "Hey man do you have any gas?" I said something like "It's 2 o'clock", like as if the guy didn't know. I told the guy I'd be right there. I went out there and I could see a car down the road a ways with the flashers on so I figured he probably wouldn't kill me. We live out in the middle of nowhere.

We went to my shed and got him some gas. He was standing behind me the whole time I was getting some gas. I was a little nervous but I guess he was probably way more nervous than I was. I gave him about a gallon of gas and he gave me a bunch of change and he went on his way.

Archived