Gibson Brands Forums

Best Gibsons models for 1500-2500?

Bunky

For a geuine cs serial numbered guitar to my mind the best value guitar is the custom shop Firebird in faded white. It comes with either thee mini humbuckers or three p90s. In the uk it can be had for £1300 and in the US c.$2000

The above of course only applies if you believe a custom shop guitar is really made that differently to a regular Gibson USA guitar - but that is a whole different thread!!

I think the es 335 plain top satin is also great value; I also love the sound of guitars with no gloss on the finish.

Matt

what about a 61 reissue sg vs a firebird?

Any feeling on the stock firebird pups? I hear a lot of people change them out. Best action ever though.

Re stock Firebird pickups

I struggled initially to get a tone I really liked...although the neck pickup always sounded good

After tweaks to gain and EQ I am now happy at all 3 settings

The guitar is uber cool to look at

And sounds uber cool too

How cool is that? [thumbup]

V

:-({|=

What styles do you intend to play with it?

While most will cover most styles I doubt a p90 loaded SG classic will be the most desireable guitar for metal (...p90's are noisy). If you are looking for brighter clean tones then a studio with humbuckers will not be the best choice.

As you were.

That's a fairly wide range. IMO, what you could do is for 2500 get an SG Classic ($999) and an SG Standard ($1199) so you can have humbuckers and P90s, or as Matt said, the satin finish 335 is pretty awesome. But it all depends on what you want. Like dem00n said, what sounds good to someone on the internet might not be good for you. Try a whole bunch out

• 1 month later...

ES-339. 1800-2000 dollars. an amazing deal for a custom shop Gibson that sounds great and feels great. I own one. At the price I think it can't be beat.

I have one as well. I think for the money, you get plenty of guitar. Well worth the price.

For a geuine cs serial numbered guitar to my mind the best value guitar is the custom shop Firebird in faded white. It comes with either thee mini humbuckers or three p90s. In the uk it can be had for £1300 and in the US c.$2000

The above of course only applies if you believe a custom shop guitar is really made that differently to a regular Gibson USA guitar - but that is a whole different thread!!

I think the es 335 plain top satin is also great value; I also love the sound of guitars with no gloss on the finish.

Matt

ES 339 is without a doubt THE best deal that Gibson has out there right now.

You can play just about anything with that guitar.

Hands down - Gibson R7 or R8.

IMHO all of the above.......All good choices...I've never wanted a Firebird until now..The LP Trad Pluses are great guitars, but one should

always talk the price down a heck of a lot....I do....Yes, 339s are killer guitars.................

IMHO all of the above.......All good choices...I've never wanted a Firebird until now..The LP Trad Pluses are great guitars, but one should

always talk the price down a heck of a lot....I do....Yes, 339s are killer guitars.................

I actually got my Figure Top 339 for $2,200 brand new. That's only $200 more that what you'd get for a plain top at GC. They normally go for over 3k; now they are even up to $3,249. It pays to shop around. I got mine from the House of Guitars. Good opportunity to show it off again...

es339fc.jpg

es339b.jpg

Archived