Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Bolt-On? Help please.

axedealers

First off, forgive me if this is posted in the wrong place. (mods please move it to where ever it rightly belongs)

I've been trying to figure out what guitar this is for days with no luck. Hopefully someone on here knows what it may be.

Single-cutaway, bolt-on neck, two hums, Kahler trem, made in '84.

Is it a real, bona fide Gibson? And if so, what in the world is it?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150571893724&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_9121wt_1139

If I was walking down the street and someone handed me $400 dollars and told me "do what you want with it"...

I would not, ever, buy that guitar. Even in the remote chance it IS a Gibson, which I'm pretty sure it isn't.

If you dig it go for it, but I think if you're looking to spend money on a guitar, look at getting one of the new Epi Nighthawks for that much.

Cheers,

Yea it looks like a bad attempt by Gibson to make an 80's metal guitar. It would be worth looking into as I have never seen one like it. It might actually be worth something even if it looks like a heap......It's hard to tell about the neck joint the obvious looking crack "Could Be" just a finish scratch or crack but it looks like there is another one in the horn area of the pocket too. From the condition of that head stock I would say high probability of neck pocket crack. Probably from the old 80's trick of doing a dive bomb by placing the headstock on the stage and bending the neck[biggrin]

Hey I freely admit I did it too[blush][mellow]

I've seen a couple of these in the past while poking around on the internet for Epiphones. I cant remember what its called. It looks very similar to a Sonex (which also had a bolt-neck), except for the pickguard, bridge and headstock. But this is a Norlin guitar, so maybe it could be some kind of variation. Lots of oddballs from the Norlin era.

the price seems cheap, but i was put off by the dealers conditions and terms. seems kinda one sided to me. plenty of conditions for the buyer to live up to, but yet no returns. why pay a dealer and yet assume all the risk for your liking something you have never seen?

This came out around 1985. The head stock is the same as the one on the Gibson Chet Atkins Phaser guitar. It might have been one of the guitar designed for Gibson by Wayne Charvel like this one. (What's that? Gibson built a Strat??!!) yea.... bunches of them.

Gibson1988WRC.jpg

• 2 months later...

Yes, it's an Invader with a Corvus neck on it. That's why the neck and pocket don't line up. I've talked to the guy trying to sell this on Ebay and he swears it's all original. But nope, it's not, it is 110% as I mentioned. I have several of each and yep...that's what it be. A mutt made from a couple of Norlin year dogs. I will admit, the Corvus III is my favorite Gibson guitar of all time though.

Archived