Gibson Brands Forums

unwritten rules

fl00dsm0k3

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

MUST...NOT...CORRECT...SPELLING AND GRAMMAR ERRORS...

This thread has been really, really difficult on me. Especially because of the egregious misuse of apostrophes.

Remember:

If you want a noun to be possessive, use an s with an apostrophe.

If you want to pluralize a noun, use an s with no apostrophe.

For instance:

1. "Cindy had two apples."

-Clearly, this refers to the number of apples owned by Cindy.

-To write "Cindy had two apple's" would be incorrect.

2. "The biggest house on the block was Jim's."

-This refers to the biggest house on the block, which belonged to Jim. The fact that it belongs to Jim makes it Jim's (with an apostrophe) house.

-To write "The biggest house on the block was Jims" would be meaningless.

3. "Cindy's apples got moldy."

-This here is a great example in which we have both cases in one statement. The apples belong to Cindy, so they are Cindy's (with an apostrophe) apples. There are two of them, so they are (without an apostrophe) apples.

-You should never eat moldy fruit.

...*sigh* That felt good.

So, if Cindy's two apples left a train station at nine AM, and Mary's four oranges left the other train station at ten thirty AM, what time would the two trains cross paths ?????

And if Cindy was late for work at the dictionary, would she owe her boss an apostrophe ???????

Are words pro-noun or anti-noun ???

If a verb falls in a forest, does anybody hear ???

Do nouns have adverb reactions to medication ???

MUST...NOT...CORRECT...SPELLING AND GRAMMAR ERRORS...

This thread has been really, really difficult on me. Especially because of the egregious misuse of apostrophes.

Remember:

If you want a noun to be possessive, use an s with an apostrophe.

If you want to pluralize a noun, use an s with no apostrophe.

For instance:

1. "Cindy had two apples."

-Clearly, this refers to the number of apples owned by Cindy.

-To write "Cindy had two apple's" would be incorrect.

2. "The biggest house on the block was Jim's."

-This refers to the biggest house on the block, which belonged to Jim. The fact that it belongs to Jim makes it Jim's (with an apostrophe) house.

-To write "The biggest house on the block was Jims" would be meaningless.

3. "Cindy's apples got moldy."

-This here is a great example in which we have both cases in one statement. The apples belong to Cindy, so they are Cindy's (with an apostrophe) apples. There are two of them, so they are (without an apostrophe) apples.

-You should never eat moldy fruit.

...*sigh* That felt good.

What about plural nouns? - Cindy noticed all of the apples' price tags were falling off.

While were at it...

It's just regardless not irregardless - double negative

it's just a water heater not a hot water heater. Why would you need to heat hot water? If anything it should be called a cold water heater.

You don't unthaw or dethaw you just thaw something. To unthaw would be to freeze again.

Ideal is not the same as idea! Shudder!

Just to name a few...

While were at it...

It's just regardless not irregardless - double negative

it's just a water heater not a hot water heater. Why would you need to heat hot water? If anything it should be called a cold water heater.

You don't unthaw or dethaw you just thaw something. To unthaw would be to freeze again.

Ideal is not the same as idea! Shudder!

Just to name a few...

Do you make an exception for those who don't speak English well enough to make intelligible posts on English-language forums?

That seems to be in vogue now, too. I'm not sure if it's a rule, though.

Do you make an exception for those who don't speak English well enough to make intelligible posts on English-language forums?

That seems to be in vogue now, too. I'm not sure if it's a rule, though.

I understand non-native English speaking people having issues. My opinion on that is they speak much better English than I do their language ( I don't know any second language) so at least they try. Most everyone else in the world can speak multiple languages at least to some degree.

"lernt" there is a good one.

I understand non-native English speaking people having issues. My opinion on that is they speak much better English than I do their language ( I don't know any second language) so at least they try. Most everyone else in the world can speak multiple languages at least to some degree.

Huh?

I'm all for folks doing their best (whatever the reason) - but in most cases, I'll skip a thread that looks too much like a puzzle.

ok...you guys got this thread going all directions, so i will try my best:

look guys, i can speak, i can spell, i can write. yes, good skills, and as was pointed out, there are some with adversities that may prevent them from having such as good of skills as another.

you forgot TYPING. PERSONALLY, I suck at it. there is something about writing and the habit of writing where you feel the correct spelling coming out as you are writing, and the habit of spelling and writing is something we don't think about. for some reason, for me typing i don't see the misspelled words until reading, and ya'll don't know how many words even miss letters. my skills are such that to capitalize and go back and correct takes as long as writing, and you may also take for granted that everyone can type well. and, when writing, there is a flow sometimes you want to keep. it been a long time sinse this dog been in school. cut a guy some slack.

i wasn't done...

is this a spelling site? does the logo at the top say "grammar"? no, it does not. it says "gibson". so, lets talk about gibson grammar.

is the dot on the "i" connected or separate? in which cases is it acceptable to omit the "i"? when is it appropriate to use cursive or print for a logo?

then there is the issue of whether or not we are allowed to talk about the logo. it is protected by copyright, you know. patents and such. but if not here, where? where is the appropriate place to discuss such matters?

i like to think, as a whole, gibson type folk are an honest crowd. i can say that in my short experience here, my impression of the poeple on this site are of the better people of society, as far as ethics and morals. that includes the moderaters.

i'll be back, i gotta pee.

Never rub another man's rhubarb.

Or any pie that belongs to him !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [flapper] [flapper] [flapper][woot] ...........

ARRRRGGGG......Double inuendo post...............:unsure: [sneaky] ...........

i wasn't done...

is this a spelling site? does the logo at the top say "grammar"? no, it does not. it says "gibson". so, lets talk about gibson grammar.

is the dot on the "i" connected or separate? in which cases is it acceptable to omit the "i"? when is it appropriate to use cursive or print for a logo?

then there is the issue of whether or not we are allowed to talk about the logo. it is protected by copyright, you know. patents and such. but if not here, where? where is the appropriate place to discuss such matters?

i like to think, as a whole, gibson type folk are an honest crowd. i can say that in my short experience here, my impression of the poeple on this site are of the better people of society, as far as ethics and morals. that includes the moderaters.

i'll be back, i gotta pee.

Actually, I type with 2 fingers... Never lernt to type proper. [biggrin]

Archived