Gibson Brands Forums

What happens when Neil Peart only has a 4-piece drum kit?

rocketman

Answer: He still proves that he's one of the best drummers ever!! I've posted this before but I think it's good to have a reminder once in a while. Peart's idol is Buddy Rich who was a famous jazz drummer. Peart is very humble about his playing and always states that he'll never be as good as Buddy. The important lessons here are to 1) never think you're good enough, and 2) get outside of your comfort zone and listen to all kinds of music.

Here's Neil at the Buddy Rich Memorial Concert:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47yxLg2RyXM

Here he is with his full set:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHkucr1jJpQ

The best drummer I worked with, whom I did work with over a 20 year timeline, used a jazz 4/5 piece set.........With a cowbell of course, and a bong, and other drummer stuff.....

This made me grind my teeth.

Neil Peart - Amazing rock drummer with killer chops, but he is not a jazz/swing drummer. STOP POUNDING THAT KIT. This is not a rock show.

Yep and he'd be the first one to agree with you. This is done back in 1992 and this is what he said about it: "And yet...I still had a nagging feeling that when I played in that style, I was just imitating it, not really feeling it properly. As the old Duke Ellington standard goes, 'It dont mean a thing, if it aint got that swing', and I didnt think I did."

I found some more recent Peart jazz playings and wow does he nail it now. For some reason they aren't on the web anymore. He's come a long way. My point is that he refuses to stop learning. He could just say "ok, I'm the best rock drummer and I'll stop there." But he always wants to get better. This is the sign of a true genius.

He's come a long way. My point is that he refuses to stop learning. He could just say "ok, I'm the best rock drummer and I'll stop there." But he always wants to get better. This is the sign of a true genius.

I would call that more dedication than genius, but either way you have to tip your hat to him for being that progressive.

Technique, feel, and lack of ego? That's Gene Krupa in my book.

talk about being in the pocket with the Bass Player...

As Evol and I were discussing yesterday, its hard to find a drummer and bass player who are willing and enjoy playing in the pocket. It doesn't mean they suck, but they "know their place" for lack of a better term. I hate hate HATE when players (especially guitarists) just wank around insulting the song and all the good it stands for. Gene Krupa is an amazing drummer and he isn't all flashy about it. THAT'S the definition of a musician in my books [thumbup]

Drums were always my favorite part of Swing Music, and Gene defined that genre.

Fred, I know what you mean about drummers who don't know their place. Or guitarists for that matter. Musicians that are on stage to service themselves as opposed to the songs they're playing just bug me. Specially originals, so many original bands have a 45 minute set of songs that sound identical because the musicians are using their entire bag of tricks in every song.

My piano instructor told me that the notes you don't play are just as important as the ones you do play. Count Basie was a master of this concept. I finally got that concept playing piano, but I'm not good enough to get it playing guitar.

Technique, feel, and lack of ego? That's Gene Krupa in my book.

I have an old vinyl of Gene Krupa and Buddy Rich playing together from a recording of "Jazz at the Philharmonic" from 1952. Most of the album features GK's trio with a sprinkling of absolute giants of Jazz - Ella Fitzgerald and the like.

I have never heard drumming on a par with what is on that album. The closing track is a lengthy impro. after Buddy Rich joins everyone on stage and the drummers swap 'verses'

People argue endlessly (oh yes they do!) about whether GK or BR outperforms the other...If you get a chance to listen to it, it really is rewarding. My copy is called, simply, "The Drum Battle".

I'm not saying whose style I preferred and, in any case, I'm no drummer.

P.

I have an old vinyl of Gene Krupa and Buddy Rich playing together from a recording of "Jazz at the Philharmonic" from 1952. Most of the album features GK's trio with a sprinkling of absolute giants of Jazz - Ella Fitzgerald and the like.

I have never heard drumming on a par with what is on that album. The closing track is a lengthy impro. after Buddy Rich joins everyone on stage and the drummers swap 'verses'

People argue endlessly (oh yes they do!) about whether GK or BR outperforms the other...If you get a chance to listen to it, it really is rewarding. My copy is called, simply, "The Drum Battle".

I'm not saying whose style I preferred and, in any case, I'm no drummer.

P.

I'd like to hear that. The old vs. the new LOL.

I feel when you get to that level there is no Best. Maybe better nights or better performances, but great is great. [thumbup]

I think Oscar Peterson is on that too.

Archived