Gibson Brands Forums

Strap thoughts

Hawkeyenfo

Hi all,

Owned my Hummingbird for 5 years now and LOVE it!! Been lurking on these Gibson forums though....great stuff here!

What does eveyone think about guitar straps on acoustics that do not have a strap buttom at the base of the neck. Tie it near the top nut or install a button?? I've always been told that tieing it may hurt the neck....any truth out there on that???

My father never put a button on the heel of the neck, EVER! He'd roll over in his grave if he saw that I put a button on his Martin. That was just his quirk I guess, he just didn't want to chance splitting the wood. He always used those skinnyass white leather straps and fed them under the strings behind the nut (no rawhide string).

I can't imagine it doing any harm. Some might say you're putting sideways pressure on the neck. Yep. The guitar weighs what, a couple pounds? Versus the 50+ of tension the strings put on the neck every day?

I say go with what's comfortable.

Some gurus seem to think a strap attached up the neck causes problems, some don't. I always put a button on the heel - a bone one, not those horrid metal ones. If you take a look at the Collings site, somewhere hidden there is a nice drawing of the best position.

Roger

i usually play my acoustic sitting down. i do own a strap for it though. it has the shoestring tie for the headstock. my one worry is that it will tear up the finish. has anyone seen this? am i justified in my worry? should i use something else to tie it? obviously it needs to be strong, but i don't want to tear up the finish in that spot.

Put me down as a strap button guy always on the lower bout side of the heel. I have had to have buttons installed on both my Taylor and Gibson and wouldn't have it any other way. I normally play acoustics sitting in my "Wide ***" chair in my music room, but when I play out, I need a strap and I can't stand the strap around the headstock. Tried it...... hated it!

But then again, like tone, everyone has a certain taste and to each his/her own... there is no wrong answer as long as you play the dang thing!

:)

I prefer the strap button on the heel myself, but for many years I used a leather thong under the strings just behind the nut to attach a strap when required. I can't say I ever damaged a guitar with either choice, but I do find it easier to play a guitar with a strap button than with a thong at the nut because the instrument feels like it stays in place better with the button on the heel.

I own two guitars I won't add a strap button to because they are collectors, but everything I play regularly has the button on the lower part of the heel.

ksdaddy>>I can't imagine it doing any harm. Some might say you're putting sideways pressure on the neck. Yep. The guitar weighs what, a couple pounds? Versus the 50+ of tension the strings put on the neck every day?

If I read the tension charts correctly, it is more like 25 lbs PER STRING. A healthy guitar could care less about being strung at the neck with a strap.

Cheers,

Les

I've always had a heel strap until I got my new SJ and now I have gotten used to a nut strap. With a nut strap you can move the guitar into different positions for different tunes. When playing a tune in third position you can adjust very easy to make it more comfortable to play there. I love it, and my new 200. Just my thoughts!

I'm a strap button guy' date=' too. First thing I did when I got my dream J200 was have one put on it. I couldn't watch while they did it though, but then, I can't watch myself get a shot, either! :)[/quote']

What's really bad is when you let someone else do it without watching and they all of a sudden say, "woops". Happened to me once. Luckily, he was only joking.

Archived