Gibson Brands Forums

Dave Brubeck Quartet

dem00n

Hi Demoon!

Great stuff! I didn't know your were exploring the world of jazz! msp_thumbup.gif

Yes, the John Jorgenson quintet are one of my favourite groups (gypsy jazz) and yes of course anything Miles Davis! A bit of a hybrid, but Antonio Forcione is one of the most exciting fusion acoustic guitarists in my opinion. His group combine jazz, world music, flamenco and blues. He is quite a talent.

Matt

"Take Five" was actually written by Paul Desmond, Brubeck's sax player, who also collaborated with Chet Baker, and being from the west coast, was associated with the west coast jazz influence of which Wes Montgomery was a part, if I'm not mistaken.

I believe that "Time Out" is the biggest selling jazz album of all time. I was a young teenager when that came out and a trombone player and the "non traditional" meters of that really was exciting.

If you like the mellow Brubeck style you might check out The Modern Jazz Quartet.

Jazz was getting real good back in the late 50's and I think you are going in a good direction even if you are not a jazz player. You can learn a lot about music.

Thanks everyone, ill add this topic to my fav's.

Just bought Kind Of Blue too, really like the sound of it.

Bill Evans was one of my stepdad's heroes. Check out his stuff, esp. the album "Sunday at the Village Vanguard."

Miles and Coltrane together on this track is killer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmWMNi6vATY

enjoy!

Don

Here's a few - Miles Davis, John Coltrane, John McLaughlin, Acoustic Alchemy

Great choices, I'd toss in Thelonious Monk, John Coltrane, and Charlie Parker. The list goes on.

Take five is one of my alltime favorites.

Thanks.

Just trying to expand the music that i listen to. [blush]

[thumbup] Good to hear! Feel free to pm me some educational material on metal :P

Jazz is great stuff though, and this is a great great thread.

Herbie Hancock, Ornette Coleman, John Coleman, Yusef Lateef, Gene Harris are all great, easy to find on youtube.

I'm a fan of Patrick Williams, 65 feature films, 100 television films, 25 TV series, 18 albums over 30 concert works, Emmy's Grammies etc. arranger for Tom Scott & the LA Express and nobody outside of a small community knows his name.

http://patrickwilliamsmusic.com/home.html

Despite playing the stuff quite a lot, and standing in awe of many jazz guitarists' technique and tone, I tend to prefer jazz played on anything other than guitar (so big yes to Davis and Coltrane). It's something to do with sustain and the tendency for jazz guitarists to compensate for lack of it by overplaying. There are two huge and obvious exceptions to this block of mine though. You must listen to Django Reinhardt if you haven't yet done so, for he is the greatest guitarist ever lived bar none, and also Charlie Christian who was no slouch either. They did tunes as well as technical prowess and rapid-fire improvisation. I could listen to them all day and not be bored. Others that I can enjoy are Wes Montgomery (but not so much the cheesy use of the otherwise magnificent Hammond in his trio), and Grant Green. Joe Pass as well. Oh and given your new-found penchant for mellow sixties jazz, you must check out the criminally overlooked Rudi Stevenson who made some of Nina Simone's greatest recordings even more sublime than they would have been if she'd just done them with voice and piano. 'Wild is the Wind' and 'Four Women'!

Nina Simone

Back in the 50s and 60s Ruby Braff trumpet took the direction I personally rather like of pretty straight jazz variations of standards - a couple of different players on vibes and guitarists such as unknowns <grin> Barney Kessel and Mundell Lowe...

Alas my one 60s record of Braff, Lowe, etc., was destroyed in a fire around 1970.

I never much cared for odd time signatures myself, and even as a kid liked standards with various improvs on top. So... even at 14 or so I was considered an old stick in the mud. But in those days if you played trumpet and admitted you liked Armstrong or Harry James you automatically were "out."

Some of the early trio stuff with Julie London singing, one album with Kessel, one with Herb Ellis as I recall. Kessel's simple guitar backing was far more than the notes in "Cry me a river."

Back in those pre-folkie days of mine I used to say I loved fat chords and skinny women. I really was young, once upon a time.

m

Time Out is an excellent album, one of my favorites for sure.

My list of jazz recommendations is usually this:

Miles Davis - Kind of Blue (you already have that covered)

The Miles Davis Quintet - Walkin'

Cannonball Adderley - Somethin' Else

John Coltrane - Blue Train

Chet Baker - Chet Baker in New York

John Coltrane - A Love Supreme

Dizzy Gillespie (w/ Sonny Rolling and Sonny Stitt) - Sonny Side Up

Lester Young and Teddy Wilson - Pres and Teddy

Charlie Parker (w/ Dizzy Gillespie) - Bird and Diz

That's a great place to get started, IMO. When you're ready for it, I'd also recommend checking out some Ornette Coleman (I'd start with The Shape of Jazz to Come) and the high-concept but excellent Pithecanthropus Erectus by Charles Mingus.

When was it that Dizzy Gillespie ran for president? I think it was 52. Anyways they had Dizz for prez bumper stickers, and I've wanted one ever since I heard about it.

I'd vote for him.

When was it that Dizzy Gillespie ran for president? I think it was 52. Anyways they had Dizz for prez bumper stickers, and I've wanted one ever since I heard about it.

I'd vote for him.

I remember that....but then, haven't all of our presidents been a bit "dizzy"?

Archived