Gibson Brands Forums

Lookout, Super Jumbo Lovers

Wayne

that upside down mustache bridge cracks me up.

Not sure what you mean. In what sense is it upside down?

I'm very happy with my SJ-200TV and won't be lusting after one of these by any means. But I bet many others will. There's no mistaking what "inspired" it, that's for sure.

I haven't played one and have no idea how they sound. My subjective reaction is: looks like a cheap knockoff. Features like the bridge make the imitation a bit too obvious. If you are going to drop some serious coin on a super jumbo, why not get a Gibson?

Yes of course that's the list price. Still a bit stiff. But I wouldn't knock it too much until you've heard what it sounds like (I haven't) . I like Blueridge guitars and have one of their J-45 knockoffs, and have owned 2 others. Wonder whats next, a BlueHummingbird? [scared]

I guess if I were looking for a mid-priced, super-jumbo size guitar, I would want it to look kind of basic, with the idea that they emphasized the sound and invested in the basics: playability and getting a good sound out of a jumbo shape, rather than fancy inlaid bridge, fretboard inlays, fretboard binding with birds beak, flamed back, fancy tuners, etc.

I guess if I were looking for a mid-priced, super-jumbo size guitar, I would want it to look kind of basic, with the idea that they emphasized the sound and invested in the basics: playability and getting a good sound out of a jumbo shape, rather than fancy inlaid bridge, fretboard inlays, fretboard binding with birds beak, flamed back, fancy tuners, etc.

Yeah, but... I would go for a J100 made by Gibson first. Or, what I actually did - get a 2 year old SJ200 only played on Sundays by a music minister for several hundred less than the $2,500. I'm biased, but if I were looking for an inexpensive guitar - I'd get an Epiphone, then immediately start putting my quarters in the coffee can until I could afford a Gibson. By the time you had the money, you'd have improved your playing and taste in chosing a guitar that fit your style and ear. I guess I just have a problem with paying big bucks for obvious knock-offs.

I only paid 2300 when I got my J150 new. Some of the imports are decent instruments, but it really would be nice to see them come-up with something original. If I want a Gibson or a Martin, I'll buy another one.......Incidentally, I played three of the new and highly praised Eastmans this morning at Mass Music in Lawrence, Ks. Maybe I've been reading too many hyped articles and comments about them, but I came-away a bit disappointed. They are nice guitars, and there are dozens of other "nice" guitars hanging with them. The three I played did not make me think I had anything special. Maybe my Martins and Gibsons have all come from the batch of a dozen or so that we hear are the only ones worth playing out of all the thousands upon thousands built for decades and decades. Gibson and Martin (especially Gibson) have been criticized and trashed for years on the internet, but they are the what all the competitors are trying to be. I'll stick with the legends.

It says laminated neck? For $2500? No thanks. The only appeal for me of these PacRim guitars was that they were pretty good quality for WAY less money than the American makers. Now that the price seems to be creeping up it's not worth it to me.

It says laminated neck? For $2500? No thanks.

The Gibson J-200 has a laminated neck. Most maple necks are laminated.

Maple is light weight, but tends to warp. Builders start with a block of wood that they could use to make a solid one-pice neck, cut it in half or thirds lengthwise, and join it back togther with reinforcing strips of a stiffer wood like ebony, walnut, or mahogany (that's what is meant by laminated). The neck is final shaped from that. A laminated neck may be referred to as three or five piece depending on the number of pieces of the various woods used. The finest jazz boxes have laminated necks. It's traditional for those types of guitars, and also for the J-200 (and even some Banner J-45's).

Laminated is not to be confused with a two-piece neck, which is when the headstock is grafted onto the neck below the nut.

Red 333

Archived