Gibson Brands Forums

I found this on MLP forum.

LarryUK

Nicolas Rivera used to post around here, well the LP section a while back.

He distressed/refinished a Studio a couple of years ago.

He is pretty obsessed with Bursts and relic, good for him, he does a good job.

For the life of me, I still can't figure out why someone would take a beautiful guitar, a Les Paul for that matter, and make it look like a piece of junk.

I'm with AXE and ChanMan on this one...

I had a little posting run-in with Mr. Rivera on MLP several years ago about exactly the same thing. I was just stating my opinion about relicing a beautiful LP. Haven't been back there since.

For the life of me, I still can't figure out why someone would take a beautiful guitar, a Les Paul for that matter, and make it look like a piece of junk.

I'm with AXE and ChanMan on this one...

I had a little posting run-in with Mr. Rivera on MLP several years ago about exactly the same thing. I was just stating my opinion about relicing a beautiful LP. Haven't been back there since.

so i take it that if he offered it to you for free "as a gift" you would refuse it? [biggrin]

so i take it that if he offered it to you for free "as a gift" you would refuse it? [biggrin]

I'd take it in an instant.

Then I'd tell you all what I thought it sounded like, and felt like.

But nobody seems to care about that stuff.

It's a Gibson after all, isn't it?

I think it looks good aged well with some obvious artistic talent. I strangely have no real opinion on the aging of guitars, I don't care one way or the other whatever makes somebody feel good and bond with a guitar I see as a bonus as long as it's done well.

I feel the same way about signature guitars if I like one I'll play it, I don't really care if it's a signature or not.

I've not got a view on it really. I like the look if the guitar in question though. I'm not struck on new guitars either. I like them played in. I'd rather buy a 20 year old one than a new one.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think there were a few that went out late '58.

"flametop" as we use it today didn't exist. There were some goldtops that had some nice wood underneath, probably we could use the word "some" to indicate the number of those late 50's guitars that were stripped to reveal some nice wood that looked good with a clear coat on it. We can't use "lots" because there just weren't that many Les Pauls made.

I know there are many on the intarwebz that will argue with doosch bags like me all day, but the company is right here and can tell you as well. The concept of nice flame-y tops just didn't exist until very very much later when it became a selling point even more than the sound and feel of the guitar.

A late 50's les paul with what we call a "flametop" today was purely chance to begin with, and lucky it wasn't painted over. That is my recollection of guitar history and I am sticking with it.

The couple of late 50's les pauls I used a lot but didn't own were just ok to look at compared to much later uber flamers, GREAT feeling guitars, and PAFs actually were to die for, just not that many around is all.

rct

Archived