Gibson Brands Forums

Best riffs!

ShredAstaire

Not necessarily one of my all-time fave axe-men....... BUT

Almost any & everything Richie Blackmore EVER played.

Obviosuly Smoke On The Water, Strange Kind Of Woman, Black Night, etc, etc, ad infinitum... The man was a riff-meister extra-ordinaire.

Smoke on the Water - Deep Purple (First riff I ever played)

Sunshine of your love - Cream (I love playing this one, makes me feel like a hippy in the summer of love)

Layla - Derek and the Dominoes (I know its not a riff buts its freaking epic)

Anything Jimmy Page ever played (on all stringed instruments...even the mandolins)

Smells like teen spirit - Nirvana (simple dirty power chords a monkey could play but it was monumental for 90s Grunge)

Locomotive Breath - Jethro Tull (My Fave JT song, got a problem with that!)

Yeah I could probably just go and go and go on this one, I like almost any music played on a guitar so I am not good to ask on this one

brundaddy - that post of Black Betty brought back a few memories that was so popular in 2004-2005 that we did a cover in the bar band I was playing with at theI actually ended up buying a Banjolin made sometime in the 40's just for that song. I don't know if I'd ever put in in a best ruff list but It's simple to play and a fun song to do and it always fire's a crowd up. I have never come up with any other song that a Banjolin sounds good in so now it's mostly just sitting on a shelf in the studio. I'm gonna have to drag it out to a show soon and see if the song still cranks up the crowd.

Death - Pull the Plug

Bolt Thrower - World Eater

Brutal Truth - Denial of Existence

Death - Zombie Ritual

Rotting Christ - The Sign of Evil Existence

Rush - Fly By Night

Devil's Anvil - Wala Dai

Slayer - Raining Blood

Slayer - Angel of Death

Morbid Angel - Maze of Torment

Morbid Angel - Rebel Lands

Nine Inch Nails - Wish

Here's that last one:

Not necessarily one of my all-time fave axe-men....... BUT

Almost any & everything Richie Blackmore EVER played.

Obviosuly Smoke On The Water, Strange Kind Of Woman, Black Night, etc, etc, ad infinitum... The man was a riff-meister extra-ordinaire.

Good to see a BRAINS man knows his stuff.

My teenage years started along with the NWOBHM in the very early '80s. A busy period in rock which felt proud and fresh. One of my all time favorite bands were & still are SAXON who are well known for their love of a good riff \:D/

Almost every track within their first five LP's (in particular) have perfect examples of simple catchy play-along riffs!

If your unfamiliar, check out their Wheels of Steel, Strong Arm of the Law & Denim & Leather albums.

Archived