Gibson Brands Forums

Billy Gibbons Rig Rundown

Bowdiddley

Well, I didn't think I would have the time to watch it all but it was much more interesting than I expected!

Thanks for posting, Bo. [thumbup]

.007s de rigeur and .008's when he needs a heavier string for slide playing and he's never, ever broken a string in the 12 years his tech has been working with him! [woot]

P.

Whenever somebody carps about thick strings making big fat tone and the only way to get that *[{TONE}]*, MAN, is to man up to 11s or 12s and some geezer like me chuckles and says yeah good luck with that, we are thinking of Gibbons and Page and Clapton and Hendrix and guys that set benchmarks for sound that used the same 09-42 I've been using since 1976.

Yes, Beck and Betts, Schon and a slew of others used fatties. Point being, it was never the gauge that made the sound, the gauge was just what that player liked is all.

rct

Well, I didn't think I would have the time to watch it all but it was much more interesting than I expected!

Thanks for posting, Bo. [thumbup]

.007s de rigeur and .008's when he needs a heavier string for slide playing and he's never, ever broken a string in the 12 years his tech has been working with him! [woot]

P.

Same here pippy, and when I heard that he had never broke a string I about fell over. B)

Great post, really enjoyed that interview... The guitar tech was very cool, down to earth and modest. He goes way out of his way to down play his role in keeping Billy sounding as good as he can.... [thumbup]

Yeah Dave I noticed that also, made me wonder if Billy might be hanging around close by. [thumbup] Either way he did seem like a humble and down to earth dude. I'd party with him and his boss too! [thumbup]

Yeah Dave I noticed that also, made me wonder if Billy might be hanging around close by. [thumbup] Either way he did seem like a humble and down to earth dude. I'd party with him and his boss too! [thumbup]

I agree completely.

What also struck me was how the interviewer didn't make the slightest attempt at hogging the show, either. She let everything come out at it's own pace and let the guy tell his tale without rushing him into anything. So many folk in her position seem to think the show is all about them and forget to let the subject be the focus.

I'd give her a big [thumbup] too.

P.

I've talked to Ellwood a couple of times. He was gracious to me both times and talked a bit about Gibbons stuff. Cool dude.

That seems to back up the feeling that he wasn't just putting on a brave face for the camera.

Nice to hear, cdntac. Thanks very much for the input !

P.

Really interesting interview. It intrigues me what some players use. I think a lot of them go over the top though.

lol!!!

I think most of us would go overboard if we had an $40k amp rig budget [scared]

hmmm, i never heard of this billy gibbons person til i read this thread :-k, he ain't all that imo [-(

he's inspired by Bullet for my Valentine

Steve, I haven't seen a troll thread in a while, I was worried

Anyways, I thought it was weird he has his necks chambered, how the hell do you do that?

Thanks for posting that vid. I'm a big Billy Gibbons fan and found it quite interesting.

I wonder what will happen to all his guitars when he is gone? And where Pearly will go. Maybe with him.

Hahahaha!! Well he keeps getting the reactions he's looking for. Why on earth would he stop?! You are feeding him...and feeding him...and feeding him.

Let him get full on vodka and he'll do himself in lol!!

cheers john [laugh]

Archived