Gibson Brands Forums

Ticks and a Broken Wrist

Californiaman

My 10-year-old's best friend came to visit.

Last night when the boys were told to go to bed they started rough housing, wrestling around.

His friend ended up with a broken wrist. [scared]

This morning the boys went to the creek. Now I've told them not to go to the creek because there's ticks.

Sure enough, my son's friend goes into the brush near the creek and ends up getting a tick. [scared]

So a broken wrist and ticks to boot.

I'll bet his mom and dad won't let him come back here for a while.

It's not like they didn't find the tick on him.

Kind of fortuitous that he broke his arm.

His mother was giving him a shower, because the broken arm, when she found the tick on him.

I hate ticks. Never had one. But I still hate 'em.

having been an avid outdoorsman and woodsman most of my life i've been bitten by probably over 100 ticks, just touch either a lit cigarette, or the tip of a heated knife blade to their head, and they'll let go.....if the head is buried (indicating a burrowing female) dig it out with a heated knife blade.....NEVER break the head off as this is what causes them to inject toxins.

i've known several boys that had rocky mountain spotted fever, & tick fever (now called lyme disease) but never had any of these myself.

one boy I knew died from "huffing" paint the day he was released from the hospital for spotted fever, he also had remissive lukemia....he passed out on his feet with his paint rag to his mouth, and was dead before he hit the ground.

sidenote: a quick touch w/a lit cig is also a great way to prevent mosquito bites from welting.

the broken wrist is a much bigger deal as wrists take forever to heal, and seldom heal in correct alignment.

broke my right(pick hand) wrist at 14 falling off an out-house wrestling with the boy that died from huffings older brother (it was the best place to watch baseball games w/o paying to go into the bleachers).

broke it again at 15 boxing at Boy Scout camp, it had become a "glass wrist" without my knowing it.

hopefully your Sons friends' parents will understand that boys WILL be boys, and not try to get rich off you....

when I was a boy broken bones, cuts, bruises, and scars were all seen as "badges of courage/honor" and nobody over-reacted.

I know the times have changed, but hopefully not TOO much !!

having been an avid outdoorsman and woodsman most of my life i've been bitten by probably over 100 ticks, just touch either a lit cigarette, or the tip of a heated knife blade to their head, and they'll let go.....if the head is buried (indicating a burrowing female) dig it out with a heated knife blade.....NEVER break the head off as this is what causes them to inject toxins.

Don't try this at home, Boys and Girls! [biggrin]

The best way to get a tick to let go is to smear vaseline or something similar on it. When it can't breathe anymore, it will let go and can be removed without danger.

The best way to get a tick to let go is to smear vaseline or something similar on it. When it can't breathe anymore, it will let go and can be removed without danger.

This is correct!

Grab the tick by the head or mouth parts right where they enter the skin. Do not grasp the tick by the body.

Without jerking, pull firmly and steadily directly outward. Do not twist the tick as you are pulling.

Using methods such as applying petroleum jelly, a hot match, or alcohol will NOT cause the tick to 'back out.' In fact, these irritants may cause the tick to deposit more disease-carrying saliva in the wound.

After removing the tick, place it in a jar of alcohol to kill it. Ticks are NOT killed by flushing them down the toilet.

Clean the bite wound with a disinfectant.

Was hiking in the North Dakota Badlands just last week (Theodore Roosevelt National Park - South Unit). We were about halfway through an 11 mile hike when we stopped for a bit of a break. It was then that I noticed three ticks on my right shin. Quickly removed them, and proceeded to find about 12 more on various body parts - including up under my shorts!

Over the course of the rest of the hike, I had to fend off another dozen or so. When we returned to the motel, I showered and found three more (two before the shower, one after...).

My wife (shaved legs and a bit of bug spray) never got one.

I felt "itchy" for the next couple days, like something was crawling on me.

~DB

A study released in here last week had some scary figures.

Only 33% of kids climb trees now days, down from 78% a Generation ago

40% play tag in school down from 60%

25% use a skipping rope down from 65%

I am guilty of it too I have wrapped my kids in cotton wool since birth. My oldest has a skateboard but has no idea how to ride it. Yet as a kid I nearly went pro-am I was doing comps every week.

Oh the hypocrisy!!![blush]

Never had a tick on me guess we must have different ticks here in Arizona or it's just to dang hot and dry. Our dogs get ticks but never even had a friend that has had one. I've been bitten by sand flea's and other bugs especially surfing but thankfully no ticks. Although we have scorpions here which seem to scare and/or freak a lot of people out when they see them.

Probably a good thing though I would probably need to sedate and air-evac either my wife or girl if they found a tick on themselves.

It is true about kids we have a neighbor with a nine year old boy anf a four year old girl - I honestly didn't even know about the boy since he apparently hates to go outside and stays in his room playing computer games. The 4 year old girl is a hilarious little tomboy though, I usually see her hanging upside down out of the trees waiving at us as we drive by. or selling lemonade we she advertises as fresh squeezed from a lemon tree. I tried to buy a cup last week and she said that for me there would not be a charge. She was looking down and blushing the whole time so I asked her so your lemons I'm guessing they come of my lemon trees huh? she just nodded and said yep just the ones that fall on our side of the wall though at least usually she said. I told her I was fine with her taking the lemons that fell off the tree and if that wasn't enough she could pick what she needed. She was very thankful and then she smiled and said but if mom ever asks can you tell her you said it was allright a long time ago cause she kinda thinks you already said it was ok.

I Finally met the son a few days ago when he needed to borrow a power strip while his parents were at work the little girls calls him a troll because she says he just lives under the bridge - in his room.

This is correct!

Grab the tick by the head or mouth parts right where they enter the skin. Do not grasp the tick by the body.

Without jerking, pull firmly and steadily directly outward. Do not twist the tick as you are pulling.

Using methods such as applying petroleum jelly, a hot match, or alcohol will NOT cause the tick to 'back out.' In fact, these irritants may cause the tick to deposit more disease-carrying saliva in the wound.

After removing the tick, place it in a jar of alcohol to kill it. Ticks are NOT killed by flushing them down the toilet.

Clean the bite wound with a disinfectant.

I guess my methods are outdated by a generation or 2.... [biggrin] , but I never carried vaseline on a hike, horseback ride, or hunting/fishing trip.....(not even when I knew I was taking a "mare or philly" out [laugh] )

I just used what I had on me, which were the things my Dad/Grandpa told me to ALWAYS carry...not just to the woods, but every day wherever I am.....pocketknife,mainly for splinters and such, bandana handkerchief,to use as a direct pressure compress, constriction band,sweat wiper,arm sling, or in the most dire emergency a tournoquet(life and death ONLY)carry 2 kerchiefs and you can splint a broken bone w/2 sticks....watch (obvious reasons)with compass, lighter or matches, mini flashlight, and water.

most parents today would become physically ill if their kids did the things we did at such an early age...

dad: where y'all going all packed up?

me (12-13 yrs old): going to the woods for the weekend, be back Sunday evening.

dad: you boys have everything you need?

me: yes sir....even a ball of twine, just in case

dad: y'all be careful, see you Sunday

Only 1 bit of incorrect info I saw there fellas.....stick something hot enough to the front of a ticks head and it WILL let go...

then just pinch it in two, dab a lil warm whiskey on the sore left from the burning, and enjoy the remainder of the day

I guess my methods are outdated by a generation or 2.... [biggrin] , but I never carried vaseline on a hike, horseback ride, or hunting/fishing trip.....(not even when I knew I was taking a "mare or philly" out [laugh] )

I just used what I had on me, which were the things my Dad/Grandpa told me to ALWAYS carry...not just to the woods, but every day wherever I am.....pocketknife,mainly for splinters and such, bandana handkerchief,to use as a direct pressure compress, constriction band,sweat wiper,arm sling, or in the most dire emergency a tournoquet(life and death ONLY)carry 2 kerchiefs and you can splint a broken bone w/2 sticks....watch (obvious reasons)with compass, lighter or matches, mini flashlight, and water.

most parents today would become physically ill if their kids did the things we did at such an early age...

dad: where y'all going all packed up?

me (12-13 yrs old): going to the woods for the weekend, be back Sunday evening.

dad: you boys have everything you need?

me: yes sir....even a ball of twine, just in case

dad: y'all be careful, see you Sunday

Only 1 bit of incorrect info I saw there fellas.....stick something hot enough to the front of a ticks head and it WILL let go...

then just pinch it in two, dab a lil warm whiskey on the sore left from the burning, and enjoy the remainder of the day

That's a good list to have.

I probably take half of it with me every time I leave the house.

There's something to say about being prepared for what ever comes your way.

Archived