Gibson Brands Forums

Todays forecast

Bowdiddley

115 today with heat index for us.

I always get a kick out of the heat index reference. Here on the local TV stations they call it the "real feel" temp. It's a silly way to bring drama to the weather report IMHO. The temp is the actual temperature.

I always get a kick out of the heat index reference. Here on the local TV stations they call it the "real feel" temp. It's a silly way to bring drama to the weather report IMHO. The temp is the actual temperature.

I don't really know what "heat index" means, but I will tell you that humidity matters. 90 degrees with 90% humidity feels a lot different than 90 degrees with low humidity.

A few summers ago I did a solo bicycle tour from Michigan out to Wyoming and back. For about a week straight in South Dakota the temp hovered around 100F. I would ride 70-100 miles each day on a fully-loaded bike (~80 pounds) and pitch a tent and sleep wherever I could (town parks, church yards, etc)...sometimes I would go several days between showers (out of necessity). No doubt I was stinky - but it really wasn't that bad. Even in that heat, the sweat just wicked away from me and I was relatively dry.

NO WAY I could get away with that here in Michigan during periods of high-humidity. Here, on 90/90 days, you just get covered with a layer of gunk, and it's unbearable.

Dry heat over humidity, any day!

A few summers ago I did a solo bicycle tour from Michigan out to Wyoming and back...

Nice! We do the same thing actually! Well, New Jersey and back. And well, we use a big car and not a bike, but the same thing!

This trip next month we are stopping for a couple days on Isle Royale, your National Park. Can't wait.

And yes, we would quite agree, the drier it is outside the better our bodies are able to cool themselves.

rct

This trip next month we are stopping for a couple days on Isle Royale, your National Park. Can't wait.

And yes, we would quite agree, the drier it is outside the better our bodies are able to cool themselves.

rct

Hopefully you'll get a nice cool breeze coming off Lake Superior! Enjoy!

Right now in the geographical center of the U.S. it's 68F (20C).

We've been running about 60F at night and 85F daytimes the past week or so.

DB, you're absolutely right about humidity. When we lived in Memphis, I never opened the windows in the house - it either had the air or heat running. Almost never opened a car window with the same rationale.

When I'd come "home," you could figure at least coming west through South Dakota you could open the windows and be rather comfortable once you hit the Missouri River. The eastern half of the state usually is considered "high humidity" by western folks - but it ain't nuthin' compared to many other areas of the nation. My little bro lives another cupla thousand feet higher than the 3,100 where I live (about 1,000 meters) and it's inevitably less humid so it's almost always comfortable in the shade even at 100F.

m

I don't really know what "heat index" means, but I will tell you that humidity matters. 90 degrees with 90% humidity feels a lot different than 90 degrees with low humidity.

A few summers ago I did a solo bicycle tour from Michigan out to Wyoming and back. For about a week straight in South Dakota the temp hovered around 100F. I would ride 70-100 miles each day on a fully-loaded bike (~80 pounds) and pitch a tent and sleep wherever I could (town parks, church yards, etc)...sometimes I would go several days between showers (out of necessity). No doubt I was stinky - but it really wasn't that bad. Even in that heat, the sweat just wicked away from me and I was relatively dry.

NO WAY I could get away with that here in Michigan during periods of high-humidity. Here, on 90/90 days, you just get covered with a layer of gunk, and it's unbearable.

Dry heat over humidity, any day!

Maybe so, although our heat index always has something to do with the humid conditions. I grew up in S Mississippi and it is always humid, when I went to the desert it was 120 in the shade and I was enjoying the dry heat.

Living in the south I know about humidity and no doubt it makes a huge difference. I wasn't meaning the humidity did have an effect on our bodies but it does not change the temp. The temp what it is.

Searcy...

I always figured the nicest place in Memphis was the Dixon Gallery. Some nice art - but obviously more fun to visit in spring or fall.

Does the Peabody still have the coffee shop with all the nice pastries?

A summer riverboat ride was nice, but with the flood I don't know if they still do that.

Those and old friends are my best memories of the place.

m

When I was stationed in the UK, they had a heat wave hit. I think it was the summer of 86; the temps averaged around 90 degrees for a week. People dropping like flies due to the heat. I loved living there for over 4 years and would love to return one day.

Here in the Uk we're just not used to having much heat. Even mid-summer it rarely gets uncomfortably hot. When it does the whole transport infrastructure in London falls over...

And if you do get a chance to come over you'll have to drop us Brit-Gibsonites a heads-up!

I'll trade you Pippy (aka Puppy)66F sounds real nice to me.

Nah! 66F is fine by me! Being a Scot I'm not used to much in the way of heat. It rarely got above 80F in the 28 years I lived there...

True story : In the middle of one gloriously hot Summer, not long after we were married, I took my wife (who's from nice-and-very-warm south-west France) up into the Scottish Highlands as she wanted to see 'my' country (It's a beautiful place, Honestly!). Anyhow; we were in a bus heading for Fort William and the people in the seats directly in front of us had this brief excange of words;

Man : "The weather's been a bit peculiar this week."

Woman : "Aye. It hasn't rained for four days..."

We Laughed Out Loud...

Pup.

Archived