Gibson Brands Forums

Opened Up The Memory Boy And Found Something Very Disappointing Inside.

Tman5293

So all Electro Harmonix pedals say "MADE IN NYC, USA" on them. I just opened up my Memory Boy to check if it had a battery in it or not and instead of a battery I found something very depressing. Stamped into the metal case was the words "MADE IN CHINA". msp_scared.gifmsp_crying.gifmsp_scared.gif

It turns out that EHX pedals are only USA assembled. sad.gifsad.gifsad.gif

You still like the pedal don't you? Does it not sound as good now that you know it's from china? would it sound better if you never found out?

It has nothing to do with the sound. It's sounds fantastic. It's just that I don't like EHX's false advertising.

It's really not false advertising at all. It was built in America. Try to build a pedal without using parts from China/Asia. It's pretty much impossible. That's just how it is.

Yep... it simply can't be done.

So all Electro Harmonix pedals say "MADE IN NYC, USA" on them. I just opened up my Memory Boy to check if it had a battery in it or not and instead of a battery I found something very depressing. Stamped into the metal case was the words "MADE IN CHINA". msp_scared.gifmsp_crying.gifmsp_scared.gif

The Metal Case is made in China, just as every electronic components in that box. EH products are assembled in the USA with foreign parts. What electronic parts, caps, resistors, pots, and so on are made in the USA these days?

It's really not false advertising at all. It was built in America. Try to build a pedal without using parts from China/Asia. It's pretty much impossible. That's just how it is.

True.. Hell, the high rise buildings in NYC and LA are owned by foreigners these days. China owns us economically. Think about it.

I guess that you've rehabilitated one of the seminal works of 'House' music here, Matt.

LMAO

I remember the time I was the lone 'pun' ranger and then you and Damien started giving me a run for my money - that was damn good!! [thumbup]

LMAO

I remember the time I was the lone 'pun' ranger and then you and Damien started giving me a run for my money - that was damn good!! [thumbup]

Thanks Matt. Given Damien's avatar, I guess you are the lone pun ranger, and he is Trigger. Somebody else on the forum got the Silver. Hi ho Kemo Sabe. ATB, Tonto.

Well, if you hate the pedal now and you want to get rid of it...

...you can send it my way and I'll find a good place for it. [lol]

Well, if you hate the pedal now and you want to get rid of it...

...you can send it my way and I'll find a good place for it. [lol]

Hey Xdemonknight, what do you think of the Marshall jackhammer? They're a little rig picky, but can sound great. You can have mine for free if you like, as long as you don't mind not having a return address as my parents are picky on that sort of thing.

That's just the way it is, actually a lot of transistors and capacitors are made in Mexico.

But hey, it's not like the Mahogany and Rosewood on your SG came from the USA. 'know what I mean?

Take for instance, the EGNATER RENEGADE is made in CHINA!

I find that this amp is the best sounding amp that I have owned!!!

I have had Marshall's, Boogies, Fenders, all the brands you can

think of made in the U.S.A.

I was a little hesitant at first when I bought this amp, but the good

reviews and hype around this amp really pushed me! To me this

amp sounds better than the Marshall DSL 2000 100 watt that I had

before the Egnater. The lead tone is exactly what I have been searching

for tone wise, for 30 years!!!

Bruce Egnater really engineered a wonderful high quality amplifier, no doubt.

The place were they are manufacturing the item shouldnt matter, atleast thats how I see it. They are still making the product with the same transistors and crap so what if they are paying someone pennies per hour to make it rather then dollars per hour. Most of these offshore factories are required to be ISO9001 certified which is a really important certification, basically international standards for production and it is a certification you can have taken away if you start cutting corners. China is the second largest economy in the world and with the rate they are buying up AMERICAN debt it wont be too long before they are number one, because America will owe them so much coin. There is nothing wrong with this its not like the Chinese are trying to take over the world or anything they are just finally living up to there potential, they were always well known for there smarts lots of very intelligent programers, doctors, scientist and stuff have come out of China its about time that the working sector followed along. Sure there will always be problems with counterfit goods because of the way business laws are in China but that doesnt mean they are all bad people. This is just my two cents though, I have dealt with a few Chinese companies via my current employment and they have been some of the best companies to deal with aside from the language barrier. Plus really would you want anything electronic that wasnt built by an asian person (not trying to be racist) but I swear they can build that stuff in there sleep, when I was a kid I worked for a TV repair place and the 60 year old chinese guy that fixed them could literally diagnose and fix any TV problem in about 20minutes and I worked there for a year and a half and not a single TV came back in for a second repair.

The place were they are manufacturing the item shouldnt matter, atleast thats how I see it. They are still making the product with the same transistors and crap so what if they are paying someone pennies per hour to make it rather then dollars per hour. Most of these offshore factories are required to be ISO9001 certified which is a really important certification, basically international standards for production and it is a certification you can have taken away if you start cutting corners. China is the second largest economy in the world and with the rate they are buying up AMERICAN debt it wont be too long before they are number one, because America will owe them so much coin. There is nothing wrong with this its not like the Chinese are trying to take over the world or anything they are just finally living up to there potential, they were always well known for there smarts lots of very intelligent programers, doctors, scientist and stuff have come out of China its about time that the working sector followed along. Sure there will always be problems with counterfit goods because of the way business laws are in China but that doesnt mean they are all bad people. This is just my two cents though, I have dealt with a few Chinese companies via my current employment and they have been some of the best companies to deal with aside from the language barrier. Plus really would you want anything electronic that wasnt built by an asian person (not trying to be racist) but I swear they can build that stuff in there sleep, when I was a kid I worked for a TV repair place and the 60 year old chinese guy that fixed them could literally diagnose and fix any TV problem in about 20minutes and I worked there for a year and a half and not a single TV came back in for a second repair.

I thought you said you were at work! [confused] you had enough time to write all this?

Archived