Gibson Brands Forums

new sg

fl00dsm0k3

Not a bad MSRP.........For a smart shopper to, um, you know............

I'd prefer a TOM bridge..........

Nice features and specs...........I'd hit it.........Beautiful......

Now that? That's sexy. And the price tag isn't terrible either

I am thinking $1000-$1200 by the way prices fall from the MSRP, may be a bit off but still VERY reasonable for such a unique guitar.

it wouls be better in road worn

Nevar! The road worn are good if sold cheap, but I would prefer to wear my guitar in myself :D

I like it a lot. Been listening to tons of Who's Next era Who, when Townshend was sporting these killer SGs. If I had the cash I would get one. Just wish he would scrap those Strats and go back to these beauties.

I like it a lot. Been listening to tons of Who's Next era Who, when Townshend was sporting these killer SGs. If I had the cash I would get one. Just wish he would scrap those Strats and go back to these beauties.

I still think they put on one of the best stage shows back in the day (kinda feel Jimi Hendrix has em beat a tiny bit) if this baby is in my predicted price range its so filling my P90 GAS needs, just too unique to pass up.

I find stop bar only to be intolerable, no matter how vintage or non-vintage the guitar is.

rct

String changes or something? I noticed something was different compared to most guitars but I wasn't too sure what was up

String changes or something? I noticed something was different compared to most guitars but I wasn't too sure what was up

My right hand sits exACtly where I want it, right behind the saddles, spending all of it's time in various forms of muting. I can't do that with the one pieces. Can do it with strats and teles, not with stop bar.

rct

My right hand sits exACtly where I want it, right behind the saddles, spending all of it's time in various forms of muting. I can't do that with the one pieces. Can do it with strats and teles, not with stop bar.

rct

Ah placement issue, phew! I thought you were gunna say it takes 2 hours to change the strings properly.

I mute in front of the saddles (neck side).

Yes, but I have a spot for the edge of me mitt to sit, I can move just slightly to be just slightly muting, like that, depending on what I need to do. Single stop bar is...too sudden I think, I'm on bar then on string too soon. Something like that. Might be the sorta "slide" of hand you have to do for the single bar, whereas with a tuna matic or one of Leos, you can just sorta lean yer hand to the nut and back.

Is this making any sense? It sure isn't to me, because I absolutely SUCK at explaining how I've been doing this for forty friggin years.

rct

Boy, I thought my SG Classic was my PT guitar but this is pretty cool and the price point should be pretty good. And the case is excellent! Argh.

Pete did play red SGs in the Live at Leeds era. Reading the text on the Gibson site again, it sounds like the white SG is from a narrow window of time at the start of the British leg of the Quadrophenia tour.

.... Is this making any sense? .....

I get what you're saying - it's how you keep track of your hand position.

I play a lot of trems, so I didn't see it at first. I'm used to the feel of the base side bridge anchor on the butt of my palm to keep track of my hand position.

I still think they put on one of the best stage shows back in the day (kinda feel Jimi Hendrix has em beat a tiny bit) if this baby is in my predicted price range its so filling my P90 GAS needs, just too unique to pass up.

meh, I dont like the bridge. its too...ugh.

have you checked out the SG Classic? thats a nice one. Ive been GASing for it myself. [thumbup]

I get what you're saying - it's how you keep track of your hand position.

I play a lot of trems, so I didn't see it at first. I'm used to the feel of the base side bridge anchor on the butt of my palm to keep track of my hand position.

I've had the tremfapper on my strat for about a year now, longest EVER for me. I'm having fun with it, can keep my hand in the same spot, but I have to keep the bar pretty far from me, use my finger tips only really. That's the only trem'd guitar I have these days, and it is usually blocked front and back.

rct

rct

I'm the same as you.

It took me a while to realise exactly why each one of my aging ABR-1s was always so very shiny on both 'E'-sides at the screw-post-hole position and then I realised that it was where my hand rests. I hadn't realised my hand was ever there for long enough to 'polish' the finish!

I always found the '54-style Stop-bar tailpieces uncomfortable but it didn't register that it was for that reason.

Nice SG, though. I could even get to like the 'Rare Alpine White' finish. I'm not so sure about the Grovers, though; mini- or not. I've always found the SG to be an inherently neck-heavy guitar and 6 all-metal machines are only going to exacerbate that issue.

If I was in the market for something like the PT SG I'd probably save myself $900 on the MRSP and get one of these;

SGSP6WWCH1-Finish-Shot.jpg

P.

That's pretty sweet. I doubt the tuners would add that much weight and would be well worth it. The Gibsons on my SG are about to go away soon enough. The wrap around tail piece could be replaced by an adjustable wrap around or you could easily put a nashville or Abr and stop tailpiece on it pretty much transparently. All you would need is some inserts that screwed into the wrap around stud holes that had the centers threaded for a nashville/Abr bridge. Drill a couple holes for the stop tail piece studs and wah lah!

Andy

Archived