Gibson Brands Forums

Guitar related "epiphanies?"

charlie brown

I was in my dealer (again) today, picking up a my repaired (Epi IB Texan), which

was in there for electonic's problems. They have one of my "Bucket List" guitars,

in stock, now...and a couple other guitars I "lust" after, every chance I get.

I was (almost feverishly) thinking of ways to come up with money (honestly...(Smile)), to fund the purchase(s),

and, for some odd reason, I just had this sudden sense of how ridiculous, it all was. I have more

guitars, than I can play, now...really nice ones, of all price levels. No "Junk" IMHO,

whatsoever. So, WHY do I need (any) more. It's certainly not for "different tones," or

musical character. Nor, for "better quality, or playability," etc. Even the actual guitar

that's on my Bucket List, which I've lusted over, for years (maybe even decades, on and off)

seemed, somehow, "silly" now. So, instead of lingering there, looking and possibly playing

more guitars, I simply took my repaired Texan, and left. It was a Very odd, feeling, at the

time. I have NO idea, how long this will last. But, it was very interesting, this "epiphany!"

How about you all...any similar feelings, experiences, and what (if anyting) did you do about

it/them?

CB

is there a switch under the pickguard

Hmmm...Looks like something (Switch or Lever, of some kind), in that photo.

But, "normally" there isn't anything like that, on most ES-345's.

Maybe the owner of that particular guitar, did something "extra" to

his/her's? The one I'm looking at, and lusting over, is just the

standard version.

CB

Hey CB, just to rub a little salt in the wound:

What you really need is a "Historic Reissue" like mine:

2338123474_c869048ccc.jpg

or a vintage piece (of course). It's really too bad that Gibson has "dumbed down" the 345 into this Memphis joke production model.

CB....I think we all must go through that at some point, I know I have, in fact just today I took my grandson to GC to buy strings for his little Squire Strat I bought for him...man I still get tempted...but then like you I think about the stuff I have...and I remember what my wife said....

"every time you bring home a new guitar I get a diamond"....and then I pick up the change,(sigh) the young salesman hands me the strings and I go home........... <_<

Hey CB, just to rub a little salt in the wound:

What you really need is a "Historic Reissue" like mine:

2338123474_c869048ccc.jpg

or a vintage piece (of course). It's really too bad that Gibson has "dumbed down" the 345 into this Memphis joke production model.

Well, the ES-345 in "my" photo, is the only one I've seen. I've not seen or played

a "Historic Reissue." Do they still offer that? How many more Thousands of Dollars

is IT?! ;>b How is the current one, "dumbed down," as you put it? The one I saw,

at my dealers, was certainly quite nice, fit, finish, playability, and tone! So...???

I just think I'm having trouble justifying any guitar purchase, at this time. I'm sure

I'll get over it, eventually. [tongue][biggrin]

CB

CB....I think we all must go through that at some point, I know I have, in fact just today I took my grandson to GC to buy strings for his little Squire Strat I bought for him...man I still get tempted...but then like you I think about the stuff I have...and I remember what my wife said....

"every time you bring home a new guitar I get a diamond"....and then I pick up the change,(sigh) the young salesman hands me the strings and I go home........... <_<

Yeah, I'm sure you're right! I would have thought, that I was past

the point of worrying about such things. But, I guess not?! (Smile)

CB

Charlie, you are completely right. The pattern of longing for a guitar, saving for it and then the relatively short lived buzz of acquiring it, can often be followed by a 'come down' , as it just becomes another member of the gang of guitars you already own! At the end of the day, they are just tools: Behind all the glossy finishes, pretty paint jobs etc and the excitement of posting "NGD' on a guitar forum; it is you the person, that is responsible for how you can make your guitar sound...

Learning how to use the volumes and tones to coax all possible sounds from your instrument, the simple alteration of how you angle a pick (or picking hand) can create a world of new tones! All these aspects practiced enough, can make the cheapest guitar sound like a Rolls Royce...People often jump the gun and neglect these things, instead thinking they have to throw more cash around to get the holy grail tone.

This is where marketing (and the belief system it creates) can seduce people into becoming consumers rather than musicians buying a guitar IMHO.

Matt

How about you all...any similar feelings, experiences, and what (if anyting) did you do about it/them?

CB

After I sold my '64 Strat I decided it's replacement would have to be totally different so I started to look for a LP.

Over quite a long period of time I played dozens and dozens of them but nothing really grabbed me. Then, one day, I played one which was so much better than everything I'd ever played before. It finally hit me what people were on about when they go on and on about how certain guitars can be somehow 'special'.

It came as a complete surprise. I just sat there in the shop playing it, unplugged, for nearly an hour. I was almost in a state of shock. Sounds a load of cobblers, I know, but it's quite true.

P.

The epiphany for me came when I realized that buying/gassing for guitars was a substitute for playing with a band live.

For the 17 years I played in working bands it was one guitar and one backup with an acoustic to play leisurely at home. In that time I admired other guitars but never felt the need to spend my free time searching for THE ONE that I just had to have.

The excitement and anticipation of finding and then purchasing something special has replaced the feeling I got for live gigging.

I still play a number of special one offs during the year but not every weekend like the old days.

I think that we need to start a GAS support group. We all have more guitars than we actively play. If we could come up with a way to share those guitars we could have the opportunity to play those guitars that we think we have to own until the urge went away. They we exchange amongst the group for something else we are Gassing to own/play. Could save us all a lot of money.

Now the problem of how to regulate and control so that no one would get harmed by some unscrupulous person. We can start something up and call it the Guitar Exchange or Guitar Library.

I think that we need to start a GAS support group. We all have more guitars than we actively play. If we could come up with a way to share those guitars we could have the opportunity to play those guitars that we think we have to own until the urge went away. They we exchange amongst the group for something else we are Gassing to own/play. Could save us all a lot of money.

Now the problem of how to regulate and control so that no one would get harmed by some unscrupulous person. We can start something up and call it the Guitar Exchange or Guitar Library.

Not sure if that would work... If dings appear on my guitars I want them to be mine...

Couple GAS, with a real reluctance, to part with any guitars, or amps, I already own,

to acquire anything new, due to past experience, with severe regret (AKA "I could just

kick myself, now, for trading, selling, that guitar/amp!")...well, you understand, what

I mean...it becomes like some "addictions," I suppose? [tongue] :unsure:

CB

Starting out I would hunt down "great deals" on good guitars. Then I went to "great deals" on great guitars. In the last decade as I slowly got out of gigging, I had that moment when I realized I've got too many guitars - too many doubles, even triples of some models. I decided to clean house and sell of my "multiples". So I began selling off some guitars. But then I had another moment - I could use the money to purchase some models I always wanted, but never had gotten around to buying. Great idea! So I stay away from "multiples", but now I"m back up to 14 guitars. I've just had another moment thanks to Dem00n - "That's GAS for you, it never goes away." . . So true Dem00n. . . You nailed it. . B)

My epiphany is every time I go into Guitar Center lately, I don't even pick up another electric guitar because plugging it into any of the amps there and playing is nothing like my set-up at home, so I guess I'd rather be at home playing my own Les Paul through my own set-up (pedals & amp) than at GC. [biggrin]

early on, i was all about learning other people's riffs and songs. then, i saw a thurston moore interview in a guitar documentary. he said that there was no 'right' or 'wrong' way. just play the d*mn thing. that's when i decided that it was all about finding my own voice when it came to guitar playing. now, i focus on creating my own riffs and style. where people will hear the sound and know that it's me playing as opposed to just being another clone....

And, no matter how many licks/phrases one borrow's, you'll still sound more like

you, than them, anyway. Everyone has their own nuances, even when copying a lick

or lead passage, "note for note." When young, most of us "copy" players we admire.

That's natural. "They" did the same thing, when they were young or (first) "learning."

It's also, usually, just the "recorded" version, which can be quite different, than

what's played "live," ever again. Depends, on the player. EC, for example, never playes

"Crossroads" the same, as on "Wheels of Fire," and not even the same way, from performance,

to performance. I've seen him many times, "live," and he always plays something different,

for a solo, on Any song, he does. It's not just EC, either...a Lot of players, do that.

They play from their hearts, not from notes on a page.

CB

Archived