Gibson Brands Forums

Classical Guitar/Nylon string guitar.

dem00n

I've never owned one but always quite fancied one. I love how they sound.

I've never have any repertoire which would benefit from being played on one as opposed to a steel-strung flat-top - and I'm a crap 'acoustic player' anyhow.

In the last few months I've played a few with a thought to getting one but it's not a high priority. As I think I already have too many guitars (yes I do) I'd probably want to sell two or three before I bought anything else.

P.

I have a 1974 Hernandis Classical Guitar made in Spain by the Sherry-Brennan company. Back in the 80's I played it a lot as I was studying Classical guitar

music. But after getting married, having kids, the corporate work world, I haven't had a chance to play it much. Classical guitar music playing is very

demanding, if you're going to play it right. Presently, I don't have the time it demands anymore, but who knows...maybe after retirement I can get back

into it because when you can play it, it's great...Not that a Nylon style guitar can't be used otherwise, so don't start throwing flack at me for my limited

use of it.

As with Grampa I started on a classical guitar and my first three or four guitars were of that variety with increasing quality.

My only one now is a 1970s AE Ovation Country Artist that has 14 frets to the neck. It's a little narrower fingerboard. But it's still done yeoman duty for more than a few solo instrumental gigs.

m

The first guitar I learned on was the family classical. After I started playing electric guitar I put a set of steel strings on the classical. I probably don't need to tell you what happened.

About 10 years ago I met (and befriended) an incredible and very accomplished classical guitarist. That put the classical guitar bug back in my head, and a few years ago I picked up an Alvarez cedar top A/E. It's a whole lot of fun to noodle around on. Although I'll never have the right hand to actually play classical music on it, I do use it for Latin style music with the jazz bands.

As relatively inexpensive as a decent quality Asian classical is, everyone should have one.

And yes, it is a PITA to string one.

I started out on a classical guitar--a very cool old Guild that ma passed down to me, after lovingly scratching up the top and leaving it in its case for thirty years. [biggrin]

I learned my Tim Hardins and Paul Simons on that one, before the electric bug set in and I was doing Rory Gallagher and Alvin Lee (which was before I decided I wanted more gain and harder material and started doing Bolt Thrower and Morbid Angel [smile] .) I still pick up the classical every now and then for folky stuff, although I really "ought to be" (?!) using a flat-top steel-string for that.

After restringing it once it made sense to me--although I don't change the nylons that often because, much like Duane, I really like the sound of old strings. [lol][thumbup]

I also have a nylon string Godin Multiac SA that is one of my favorite electrics for writing and recording not only does it have great acoustic tone but it even has the Roland synth pickups so it can sound like pretty much anything instrument related at least when combined with the Synth.

Godin builds great guitars and the Multiac SA is one of thier best. My wife gave me a Godin La Patrie for my 50th birthday, great player..I just hate restring classicals.

Godin builds great guitars and the Multiac SA is one of thier best. My wife gave me a Godin La Patrie for my 50th birthday, great player..I just hate restring classicals.

re stinging cam be a pain sometimes! what a fantastic birthday gift... hand polished 1000 yr old tone woods.

Kudos to your wife on a excellent choice!!

Archived