Gibson Brands Forums

What computer do you use?

Andre S

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One thing that bothers me a little bit about the computer, pad/pod/phone thing is that we've been 30 years without necessarily the degree of consistency that came more rapidly with automobiles in terms of human interface. I think we're kind of at 1939 auto interface and some change will have to come for certain uses.

I know the Mac supposedly from the beginning has been "intuitive," but as a PC guy, I found myself learning the Mac literally overnight so I could teach people how they had to think in terms of metaphor regardless what system they were using.

At one point I found myself as a de facto Mac system admin which was a horror given that "the boss" thought I was saying bad things about the system when I told him that we were having some problems with a "scuzzy" set of attachments. I think he never forgave me although he finally believed it when I literally showed him documentation of the term and had him talk to the corporate "experts."

Worse, as I was leaving I warned him yet again that his server drives were well past their mean time to failure. No, they were working fine, he said.

Six weeks later... <grin>

I regret I never got into programming past a variety or two of Basic and a tiny bit of Pascal and a lotta DOS batch files. I'm not counting spreadsheet building. But alas, one can't do everything one might wish to do in life.

m

6 years ago when our friend said to get a mac as a replacement for our ailing pc, we were reluctant. Now six years and three Mac's in the house we have never looked back. Easy to use, fast, loads of great music and arts programmes. [thumbup]

Matt

Very cool. So where did you learn? At a course? Online? Or?

I'm A+ certified... among others :).

I read a book and took the test. I also taught the certification class for a few years.

pics of a couple of rigs I've built/modded:

GatewayMod-1.jpg

100_0245-1.jpg

Day-1.jpg

Night-1.jpg

To build a PC you just have to buy the right parts and put them together, google should provide you with all the info you will ever need on that, I think... msp_biggrin.gif

It does help to know what to look for, but essentially, it really isn't all that complex. You could probably have a successful build off what you read from the reviews at Newegg!

Make sure the motherboard supports the CPU, the RAM the CPU takes, and the rest is cake.

I'm A+ certified... among others :).

I read a book and took the test. I also taught the certification class for a few years.

pics of a couple of rigs I've built/modded:

GatewayMod-1.jpg

100_0245-1.jpg

Day-1.jpg

Night-1.jpg

Ha!

Those look awesome!! Love the lights inside...and the clear panel....Very cool!

I have one Mac and a few ThinkPads. I prefer Windows OS to Mac OS but I can work on either.

How often do I upgrade? When I need a new computer. The cutting edge is the bleeding edge, and for the musical work I do, all my computers are plenty fast.

Notes

Finally! another Thinkpad user...lol

Which ones?

There is a T420 I used a couple of times, (not mine) and my w520...which is great!

Ooooooooo.... Sound Blast Live!

I always started with the mother board and worked out from there.

/chuckle I had one laying around the tech closet..... so in it went :). That's an old gateway that I modded out and gave to my daughter's family.

I typically start with what CPU I want to base the build off of, then design around that.

It's cheaper too. msp_flapper.gif The graphics card alone cost me $200.

Yup. I'm good with my PS3. [biggrin]

Definitely.

When I was younger, the desktops we had never had any good graphics cards and my parents never thought it necessary to upgrade it. Nearly every game I wanted to install could not run on the computer. So I turned to alternative platforms for gaming.

I may try to install a couple of games that I may want to play when I am in University on this laptop but I will do it on an external hard drive to keep the computers memory clear.

Water cooled rigs I see Andre S.

Good to see another PC fanatic here.

Latest.jpg

FullSetup.jpg

This is my current main rig for home recording and gaming.

It's pretty old and still running very well.

I have built a very similar rig for programming live in bands but it doesn't have the games and other non music related software.

Very nice!

The water cooled setup isn't mine. I just quoted it.

I believe that would be TMan's you are referring to.

I never even knew that they used water cooling for computers.

Thanks for mentioning it.

Very nice!

The water cooled setup isn't mine. I just quoted it.

I believe that would be TMan's you are referring to.

I never even knew that they used water cooling for computers.

Thanks for mentioning it.

Lol just realized it and was about to modify before you posted.

Yes water cooling is very much becoming more and more a part of computers and much easier and fear free to install..

AMD is releasing their top of the line FX 8-core CPUs with water cooling.

Finally! another Thinkpad user...lol

Which ones?

There is a T420 I used a couple of times, (not mine) and my w520...which is great!

I have an IBM R30 from 2002 still working but the hinge is wearing out so I don't take it to the gig anymore. It gave me almost 9 years of service, from the house, in the van, on stage, bouncing on a keyboard stand all night, back in the van, back in the house and repeat and repeat and repeat (I do one-nighters and one-nighters are hard on gear)

I have two IBM R40s on stage from about 2003 or 2004 that have never crashed.

In the office I have an R50 (IBM/Lenovo transition model) and an R61 (Lenovo).

The ThinkPads are built like tanks. Since 2002 I've had the following problems:

1. hard drive on the R30 stage computer started making noise after 7 years of bouncing on the keyboard stand, so I replaced it myself (easy - instructions were on the IBM site)
  2. CMOS battery went dead on the R30 computer after 8 years of service - replaced it ($5 at Radio Shack)
  3. Screen had a white line on it - replaced by Lenovo under warranty service

I can't say enough good things about ThinkPads. They are perfect stage computers:

• Extremely rugged and reliable
  • Flat black
  • No lit up Apple (or other) logo telling the world there is a computer on stage

I'm a minority. Even though I have an Apple/Mac computer, I find Windows much quicker and easier to use.

• When copying info from one program to another, it takes one less mouse click to do the job and when writing styles for Band-in-a-Box, I have to copy up to 400 snippets of musical phrases from a sequencer to BiaB's StyleMaker. Using a Mac would involve 800 extra mouse clicks wasting lots of time and giving me a very sore index finger.
  • in Windows I can delete specific items from the trash without emptying the entire trash bin.
  • I find more software titles available for the PC
  • Band-in-a-Box works much better on the PC
  • I have software that I use (and love) that was written in the 1990s that still works on the PC - most everything pre OSX won't work on Macs anymore.

But not everybody has to work like I do on the computer - YMMV.

But not to start a OS war, both are fine computers. If my software needs were Mac oriented, I'd use the Mac more often.

Notes

I have an IBM R30 from 2002 still working but the hinge is wearing out so I don't take it to the gig anymore. It gave me almost 9 years of service, from the house, in the van, on stage, bouncing on a keyboard stand all night, back in the van, back in the house and repeat and repeat and repeat (I do one-nighters and one-nighters are hard on gear)

I have two IBM R40s on stage from about 2003 or 2004 that have never crashed.

In the office I have an R50 (IBM/Lenovo transition model) and an R61 (Lenovo).

The ThinkPads are built like tanks. Since 2002 I've had the following problems:

1. hard drive on the R30 stage computer started making noise after 7 years of bouncing on the keyboard stand, so I replaced it myself (easy - instructions were on the IBM site)
  2. CMOS battery went dead on the R30 computer after 8 years of service - replaced it ($5 at Radio Shack)
  3. Screen had a white line on it - replaced by Lenovo under warranty service

I can't say enough good things about ThinkPads. They are perfect stage computers:

• Extremely rugged and reliable
  • Flat black
  • No lit up Apple (or other) logo telling the world there is a computer on stage

I'm a minority. Even though I have an Apple/Mac computer, I find Windows much quicker and easier to use.

• When copying info from one program to another, it takes one less mouse click to do the job and when writing styles for Band-in-a-Box, I have to copy up to 400 snippets of musical phrases from a sequencer to BiaB's StyleMaker. Using a Mac would involve 800 extra mouse clicks wasting lots of time and giving me a very sore index finger.
  • in Windows I can delete specific items from the trash without emptying the entire trash bin.
  • I find more software titles available for the PC
  • Band-in-a-Box works much better on the PC
  • I have software that I use (and love) that was written in the 1990s that still works on the PC - most everything pre OSX won't work on Macs anymore.

But not everybody has to work like I do on the computer - YMMV.

But not to start a OS war, both are fine computers. If my software needs were Mac oriented, I'd use the Mac more often.

Notes

Ok cool, I've never used a Mac yet, it was always either IBM and well subsequently Lenovo...and one Dell.

I agree though, the Thinkpads are built really well...very sturdy and hardy.

I was admit and devote to the build your own club for years. I owe my career to it so I can't complain. Like Chan I got my A+ Net + and MCSE years ago and started in the IT field as second level end user support. To me PC's are like hot rods. You can build some nice machines but you end up under the hood a lot. To me Windows has gotten to be more and more annoying through the years and I finally got fed up with fighting and arguing with my OS anytime I wanted to do something or searching for where they moved something from version to version. I cannot stand the Network setup in Windows 7!

The final straw was trying to load Pro Tools on my windows machine. After 2 days, getting a new disk from GC, swapping DVD drives and much aggravation and cussing I was still unable to get it to load correctly. By chance we had received a 13" macbook pro at work and I popped the disk in and was running in about 15 minutes. That was it! I was done and bought my current 15" macbook pro. I haven't looked back since. Now I have a 27" iMac i7, a new mac mini, iPhone 4, iPad 1 and iPad 2, apple TV and plan on getting a macbook air just for grins...

Are they expensive? Yes but they hold their value well. Look on e-bay for a 2 or 3 year old mac and how many bids they are getting. I have never had a virus, never had any trouble installing an app, never had any issues. The OS works well, doesn't nag me, doesn't challenge everything I want to do and the OS is fairly consistent from version to version as far as where things are located. All in all there is usually a mac app that is comparable to a windows app ( sometimes even better) and usually cheaper and if I just have to run windows I just bootcamp ( dual boot) into it or run it as a VM from my mac...

Is it perfect? No.. There are some trade offs but where I am in life right now fighting with or working on my computer is not high on the list...

Once you go Mac you won't go back!!! msp_biggrin.gif

I have to agree with the above.

Windows have become worse and worse since Vista.

I am still on XP because it just runs well.

I have no need for anything in windows 7.

Besides that I use Cakewalk Sonar as my DAW which is not Mac compatible.

Personally I am not an Apple products man due to their price vs performance and lack of upgrades

Whats worse is their going around suing people atm.

Archived