Gibson Brands Forums

Whats your favorite Les Paul?

cam011235

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

no maple cap.....ahhh do the modern customs have maple or is that why the customs mainly come in ebony and alpine white?

I know the original ABR-1's were direct into the wood, i've been contemplating putting a Callaham ABR-1 on my traditional, is the Nashville conversion using the callaham studs worth it (authentic to original ABR-1) in your oppinion?

from the picture i am unsure if the conversion studs are basically another bushing or if the post is one piece of metal with the stud?

Regular Customs and '68 reissues have maple tops...including bursts. They're usually black because that's the traditional colour.

I've never tried a Callaham; so, I can't say first hand. If you search a site like The Gear Page, you'll find a lot people like them.

You can buy ABRs that fit on the stock Nashville posts without having to modify your guitar. I don't know about Callaham but Faber makes such a bridge.

Regular Customs and '68 reissues have maple tops...including bursts. They're usually black because that's the traditional colour.

I've never tried a Callaham; so, I can't say first hand. If you search a site like The Gear Page, you'll find a lot people like them.

You can buy ABRs that fit on the stock Nashville posts without having to modify your guitar. I don't know about Callaham but Faber makes such a bridge.

ok kool thanks R9 i'll check them out

My 91' Ebony Les Paul Studio Lite with Chrome Hardware.

Ever since seeing an old Gibson poster in high school with some Les Pauls and SGs, I knew I wanted this guitar.

But at the time I believed there was no way I could afford such a guitar.

A month out of school and into music school, I found this in perfect condition in a second hand store selling for less than half the price.

It was meant to be.

LPSLite.jpg

OMG so many fine guitars in this thread [drool] .

bence, my GT w/the odd p'ups is an Epi.'56 RI GT that I gutted and upgraded all the electronics on...the Epi P-90s were just not cutting it, replaced them with Guitar Fetish "Hard Vintage" wound Dream 180 p'ups.

They sound like P-90s but just a touch "thicker" and absolutely noiseless(!!)...I dropped in new 500k x4 Alpha pots and .022 Sprague "Orange Drops" and used new, bigger diameter wire throughout. The 3-way & input socket had to be replaced to make it playable out of the box.

It sounds great, early humbucker tones, but "pushed" just a bit....a little more aggressive.

we're getting a new PC system (hopefully) the weekend after the 15th.....it will be so freaking groovy to be able to load my music, & studio program (Roxio Music Lab 9) in to someting that gives a response other than: "You have insufficient memory to complete the requested operation"..and post it!!!!

Lol, I'dd still go for this on (if I had the money):

1960 Les Paul Custom Black Beauty

61c3b8b8-8bee-4c8a-8cc1-f8906f24dea4.jpg

I mean she really is... a Beauty ^^

thats the filthy mistress im talking about! now just to find someone to exchange my soul for it!

The posted Black Beauty is like the Lamborghini of Gibson Les Pauls to me.

It's got it all in sexiness.

There is nothing I can say is....eh about it.

It's too good looking for me to the point where I would get jealous over someone else staring at it.

My current favorite (yep, that has changed over the years a few times) is an unusual LP. Back in the day Gibson used to supply its bigger dealers with an LP that you could quick swap pups in and out of to try them. This LP is the commercial version of that "pup demo" LP. Limited to 1000 piece run, it has a pair of BB Pros, a pair of P94s and plays like a dream. Taking a look at it, I was a bit concerned about sustain and tone, but after playing it those concerns disappeared - great tone and very good sustain. I really like the tone options with the BB Pros in the bridge and a P94 in the neck. I'm thinking about getting a 57+ to have for swapping. Another unusual detail - an unbound ebony fretboard with maple trapazoid markers. I modded it with a trem (not a permanent change).

It was the GOTM for 5/08 - Les Paul Push Tone - http://www.gibson.com/en-us/Divisions/Gibson%20USA/Products/GOTM/LesPaulPush-tone/ . . Here's some pics -

LP-PT94-BBPsm.jpg

LPflametopsm.jpg

LPPTbackpups.jpg

My current favorite (yep, that has changed over the years a few times) is an unusual LP. Back in the day Gibson used to supply its bigger dealers with an LP that you could quick swap pups in and out of to try them. This LP is the commercial version of that "pup demo" LP. Limited to 1000 piece run, it has a pair of BB Pros, a pair of P94s and plays like a dream. Taking a look at it, I was a bit concerned about sustain and tone, but after playing it I those concerns disappeared - great tone and very good sustain. I really like the tone options with the BB Pros in the bridge and a P94 in the neck. I'm thinking about getting a 57+ to have for swapping. Another unusual detail - an unbound ebony fretboard with maple trapazoid markers. I modded it with a trem (not a permanent change).

It was the GOTM for 5/08 - Les Paul Push Tone - http://www.gibson.co...sPaulPush-tone/ . . Here's some pics -

LP-PT94-BBPsm.jpg

LPflametopsm.jpg

LPPTbackpups.jpg

Kool i seen one of those before but i thought it was just another one of les pauls personal guitars for modding. thats pretty kool

Archived