Gibson Brands Forums

Unlikely relic

Riffster

Like the title says, I'll start with my most recent momentary lapse of reason that resulted in dinging a guitar.

I just got my new SG back from the Gibson repair shop after exactly 2 months to the day, good to have her back although I had to set it up since these guys did not even intonate it but that's subject for another conversation.

I get my SG on the couch play a little bit and notice my camera is close to the guitar on the couch, so, you know not to scratch the guitar I place the guitar on my lap facing up and grab the camera to place it on the end table, turns out I had removed the SD card from the camera and while doing so I left the battery cover open, there go 4 AA batteries dropping right on my SG.

Now I don't have to tell you what dropping 4 AA batteries from one foot distance do to a nitro finish guitar.

I am changing my screen name to Moose, because I damage things around the house at the same rate than a one ton Moose would. EDIT: Moose is taken, go figure. I'll take "Me" since probably a moose would not scratch a guitar as quickly as I do.

There you go, what is you "unlikely dent or scratch"

The Les Paul pro Deluxe in my avatar. The day I picked it up I dropped a three pin plug on it and chipped the paint off behind the bridge.

I hated it that much that I took it to my luthier and had it repaired. Perfect job.

It's so easy to damage one though.

I put 3 out of 4 dings on my LPVM by trying to place it on its case, this is the definition of irony.

The 4th ding, and the most extensive I did by placing the guitar against the amp carefully never noticing the cable was wrapped around by leg, I don't have to tell you the rest but I am glad the headstock did not break because the guitar landed on it.

Second-last bit of stupidity was when I was sitting on my young daughter's swing in the garden, blithely noodling away in the pleasant sunshine and watching her playing and having fun. Chipped all the rear-edge finish off my 1960 Re-issue LP on the (very rusty and abrasive) steel seat supports................."Pictures available on request" as they say.

Last bit of idiocy was a few days ago. I was replacing some steel-tubing curtain-rails in our lounge and put my old Dreadnought far away against the wall - out-of-the-way of all the nonsense. Half-way through the 'swap' I'm atop a set of ladders and hear a slow 'screeeeeechhhh' as the new steel rod slides down the wall and falls, inexplicably, in an otherwise wonderful 90 degree arc in slow motion towards that nice, aged, spruce top.......need I continue?

P

The only wear on my guitar is from where my arm rests, and that's natural (at least to me)

I also have pick scratches, but the ones that piss me off the most would be when I've hit drop ceilings with the headstock. It doesn't really show up that much, I just feel like a goober for doing it

I am so clumsy I am almost relieved when I get my first ding. I know there will be plenty more and I can relax a bit once there is a mark on it :)

We have plastic plates because I have broke so many - and our glasses are a complete mixture of all different types, because I have either dropped them or been heavy handed and cracked them while washing up.

My fine motor co ordination is very accurate, but my gross motor co ordination is terrible; for example I can't catch a ball to save my life LMAO!!!

Matt

This subject makes my teeth hurt.... I know it's only a matter of time....

My Dove is "well played".... I wish I'd taken better care of her many, many years ago. SHe has belt rash, pick scuffs, and sound-hole pickup wear marks.....

I don't wear belts or shirts with buttons when I play the new DIF or H'Bird....but..... it's just a matter of time!

I am so clumsy I am almost relieved when I get my first ding. I know there will be plenty more and I can relax a bit once there is a mark on it :)

Same here Matt, it seems the first one hurts after that it's alright.

After the incident with my SG I asked my wife, how is it that there are 5 dings and there were only 4 batteries? only I can do that.

My SG has a burn from buffing at the factory in one of the horns, all the way to the wood the Gibson repair shop was supposed to fix it but forgot, so the guitar technically had wear from the factory, hey it's black nitro it is just a matter of time before I trash it.

I try to be gentle with my guitars, and I'm not so clumsy as most. Inevitably though they do take headers, amazingly though my Strat doesn't have a mark on her (and there should be a few, I distinctly remember giving her a few knocks accidentally).

Beyond some scratches on the pickguard (where the scratches are supposed to go,) I have very little in the way of dings or dents on the SG.

Oh wait, I'm forgetting the finish that's been worn off of the bass-side horn, and the finish that's been worn off on the bass-side lower bout. 8-[

I'm also forgetting the teeny-tiny chip that came off of the headstock that I ended up gluing back on with Elmer's wood glue. #-o

I smacked the tip of the headstock on the ceiling once. Felt really retarded. Chipped off a decent amount of the clear and dented the wood.

Always make sure that the ceiling isn't low when you are holding it up...

First day I got it, I changed the pickguard and not knowing what I was doing accidently pressed the screw into the top, so there is some damage there, but since I prefer the pickguard on, its no biggie.

Like the title says, I'll start with my most recent momentary lapse of reason that resulted in dinging a guitar.

I just got my new SG back from the Gibson repair shop after exactly 2 months to the day, good to have her back although I had to set it up since these guys did not even intonate it but that's subject for another conversation.

I get my SG on the couch play a little bit and notice my camera is close to the guitar on the couch, so, you know not to scratch the guitar I place the guitar on my lap facing up and grab the camera to place it on the end table, turns out I had removed the SD card from the camera and while doing so I left the battery cover open, there go 4 AA batteries dropping right on my SG.

Now I don't have to tell you what dropping 4 AA batteries from one foot distance do to a nitro finish guitar.

I am changing my screen name to Moose, because I damage things around the house at the same rate than a one ton Moose would. EDIT: Moose is taken, go figure. I'll take "Me" since probably a moose would not scratch a guitar as quickly as I do.

There you go, what is you "unlikely dent or scratch"

A clear case of " Assault and Battery "............and Four seperate counts !!!!!!!

I smacked the tip of the headstock on the ceiling once. Felt really retarded. Chipped off a decent amount of the clear and dented the wood.

Always make sure that the ceiling isn't low when you are holding it up...

I did a similar thing with my Studio. I forgot I was standing under some duct work in my basement, where the cieling is lower. I had the guitar strapped on and went to remove it...bang the headstock into the cieling! [cursing]

Hello, Fellow Babies,

Can't take dents and dings without feeling the wound in my heart. I have to put the guitar away and go lie down. Sometimes I marvel that people have preserved musical instrument through wars as well as daily life - for hundreds of years! Every time I get a dent or ding I freak knowing that no matter how hard I try, it doesn't look like my guitars are likely to make the hundred year mark. For instance, I have tried so hard to preserve my stuff, but it can be exasperating. I've got old, cheap acoustic guitars that go for years sitting in various rooms always ready to play.... for years at a time, no problems. I mean, I've got an old arch top Harmony from Sears---it's 50 years old, and with barely a scratch! But I've got a custom, cherry red EKO, sygnus model with a beautiful ebony neck with fancy inlay fret markers - one of the best playin' necks I've ever found- I didn't have to adjust the truss rod or work on the frets to get right!- No matter how I have babied it along, the wood has warped/split on the sides - not all the way through - but the split is many inches long. Similarly, in spite of my efforts to make sure no harm befalls my Country Gentleman, the gold finish on the hard wear has very visible worn areas on the knobs, tremelo bar, and and switches. I badly need a custom 12 step program with lots on numbing drugs to start immediately after they talk me in from the ledge. Don't give me that, "But, overtherainbo, after all, the guitar's 40 years old...." I don't care. That guitar promised it would always be beautiful..

I hate my life Aaaaaaghhhhhhh!

A stoner drummer was shuffling across the rehearsal space and hooked the strap of my Flying V with his foot, whipping it to the floor and snapping the neck clean off.

The drummer & I are best of friends to this day. He's actually a phenomenal drummer, in the style of Lucky Lehrer (circle Jerks).

I did a similar thing with my Studio. I forgot I was standing under some duct work in my basement, where the cieling is lower. I had the guitar strapped on and went to remove it...bang the headstock into the cieling! [cursing]

Mine was more: new Les Paul, meet ceiling fan.

A very loud *WHACK* later, and once I recovered from the shock, I had a nice little dent in the top of my headstock. Thankfully it was a wooden-bladed ceiling fan, and not a metal-bladed one. It mostly just pressed the wood in a bit. You can't even tell until you get really close to it. I feel like I got off easy on that one.

Archived