Gibson Brands Forums

So what scales/modes/chords do you play?

cam011235

Yeah so what scales and modes, chords do you use ?? what about timing...are you a pentatonic player love the blues..or a shredder fast as lightening or modal fusion or what ever lets hear what you get into..its a guitar forum lets talk about playing guitar!! [thumbup]

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm all over the place...

Sometimes I'm a rhythmer.

Sometime I'm a metal player trying to pose as a blues player but.......... [thumbdn]

Most of the time I'm a metal head

cool i like that i am a bit the same a bit all over the show too..i guess its sort around the pentatonic trying to find other ways to go but yeah i like the sound of that i can relate to that for sure ..alot of heavy rhythm that sort of goes to blues lead ..i cant shred very well like some dudes ..but might do a bit of alternate picking stuff and some right hand tapping..but yeah i think more like a metal player ..i actually like a lot of drop D stuff or tuned downed stuff but once again the pentatonic and blues theory is important here but i guess i try to find ways of expanding out the pentatonic into sort of minor melodic types scales ..i confess i mainly play minor keys

one thing that i found daunting starting this thread is that i knew there would be some very hot players out there ..but yeah i love playing but i aint no hotshot haha just love my guitar and really probably more into contemporary post metal stuff though i done a bit of standard tuning stuff..i love alot of the era from the late 60s that golden guitar age too plus the class blues players are always great to check out ..there are some amazing players out there for sure

Yeah so what scales and modes, chords do you use ?? what about timing..

I write lots of different styles of music enjoy writing modal and atonal/ambiguous harmony music. After classical guitar my second joint love is Gypsy jazz and blues [thumbup] On forums I get very inspired when people share how they do things musically with videos and clips etc.

Matt

I write lots of different styles of music enjoy writing modal and atonal/ambiguous harmony music. After classical guitar my second joint love is Gypsy jazz and blues [thumbup] On forums I get very inspired when people share how they do things musically with videos and clips etc.

Matt

cool matt..i get the impression you are a very good player..i really admire people with that classical and technical training it is superb to watch to see people who really understand modal playing is very inspiring..i imagine loosening up in to jazz blues gypsy would be great to watch ..to see some one impro on that sort of technical level is awesome..good stuff [thumbup]

Wow.....Hmmm......I've been way too busy to spend time re-studying what I do, as a guitarest.....I let others tell me what I'm doing,

as far as scale types I use.....I gotta finish up a legal battle first, which is draining most of my creativity away....As far as chord structures go,

I'm all over the map, as I write in all styles, both for myself, with others, and for others.....And, for my recordings, I enjoy having folks add

their playing to them.....ASAP, I'll be back re-learning what it is I do....All I know is that I am a skilled player......I let others judge my playing....

The two CDs I'm hoping to finally finish next year will show this.........

Wow.....Hmmm......I've been way too busy to spend time re-studying what I do, as a guitarest.....I let others tell me what I'm doing,

as far as scale types I use.....I gotta finish up a legal battle first, which is draining most of my creativity away....As far as chord structures go,

I'm all over the map, as I write in all styles, both for myself, with others, and for others.....And, for my recordings, I enjoy having folks add

their playing to them.....ASAP, I'll be back re-learning what it is I do....All I know is that I am a skilled player......I let others judge my playing....

The two CDs I'm hoping to finally finish next year will show this.........

would be good to hear em theres some great players in the states..you are one of the funniest dudes i seen on the web [thumbup][biggrin] ..sometimes i really laugh alot with some of your posts..u got to have a sense of humour eh? good luck with the recording and legal hope it all works out so you can concentrate on that playing

My style is mostly Rock with a little bit of Blues style thrown in. Although I probably play a lot of them, I couldn't tell you what a pentatonic scale is. I play by ear, and don't attempt to read music, although, if I really put my mind to it, I could. At my age and playing for 40+ years, I'd rather just have fun playing.

As for my real style, listen to any older RUSH (pre-Exit Stage Left) and that's what I strive for. Of course I still try to dable in newer RUSH too. [biggrin]

I play what I can, mostly rhythm, don't know much about music theory.

Beatles fan above all things.

Mostly NWOBHM and Thrash Metal fan that I gerw up with closely followed by 70's Blues Rock.

Special place for all Blues from the 1920's all the way to present day.

But... the guys I play with are children of the 90's so I end up playing that kind of stuff mainly...sigh

I joke that I play guitar fingerstyle so it sounds like keyboarded elevator music. There's probably more truth to that than I really like to think about.

Right now though, I'm working on a couple "cowboy" pieces (fingerpicking and vocal) for a ranch community's annual benefit and then I'll do some children's summer camp type things with just a fingerstyle "bump-shush" pickin' for a benefit for the city-operated after school children's program.

I enjoy doing anything from blues to bluegrass, acoustic or electric. At one point or another I've done pretty much every genre that trips my trigger. Never really done much jazz as in the big band type pickers or the singlestring stuff like Ellis and Kessel probably because there never was anybody to do that kinda stuff with so I always concentrated more on that keyboard-like elevator music when I wasn't doing rock, country, country rock, blues, folkie stuff... <grin>

m

I joke that I play guitar fingerstyle so it sounds like keyboarded elevator music. There's probably more truth to that than I really like to think about.

Right now though, I'm working on a couple "cowboy" pieces (fingerpicking and vocal) for a ranch community's annual benefit and then I'll do some children's summer camp type things with just a fingerstyle "bump-shush" pickin' for a benefit for the city-operated after school children's program.

I enjoy doing anything from blues to bluegrass, acoustic or electric. At one point or another I've done pretty much every genre that trips my trigger. Never really done much jazz as in the big band type pickers or the singlestring stuff like Ellis and Kessel probably because there never was anybody to do that kinda stuff with so I always concentrated more on that keyboard-like elevator music when I wasn't doing rock, country, country rock, blues, folkie stuff... <grin>

m

did you ever get into chet atkins? he was a wonderful player had that finger picking style

I guess I'm the resident old fart jazz guy around here.

"Currently" a Big Band guitarist, I specialize in three finger chord voicing of what is called in the Mel Bay books "Inside Chords". The Big Band is all chart reading and mainly rhythm chunking (with a few solos and leads), so by necessity I have become somewhat of an expert on chord extension, inversions and voicings. We do charts that have 200+ chords in the song, so I have to be pretty quick on the fingertips, lots of finger movement and as little as possible hand and arm movement.

Though not "schooled" or formally trained, my work with the Big Band puts me right in the middle of college and university music department academia. When the Phd's start talking their ****, I just smile and nod my head.

I played Rock in the 70's, Fusion in the 80's, Blues in the 90's, and Motown around the turn of the century. I'm really enjoying the Jazz thing at the moment.

Matt

Hey.....I was going to say that!

Tchhh

as a guitarest

..........or maybe that sums it up better.

I guess I'm the resident old fart jazz guy around here.

"Currently" a Big Band guitarist, I specialize in three finger chord voicing of what is called in the Mel Bay books "Inside Chords". The Big Band is all chart reading and mainly rhythm chunking (with a few solos and leads), so by necessity I have become somewhat of an expert on chord extension, inversions and voicings. We do charts that have 200+ chords in the song, so I have to be pretty quick on the fingertips, lots of finger movement and as little as possible hand and arm movement.

Though not "schooled" or formally trained, my work with the Big Band puts me right in the middle of college and university music department academia. When the Phd's start talking their ****, I just smile and nod my head.

I played Rock in the 70's, Fusion in the 80's, Blues in the 90's, and Motown around the turn of the century. I'm really enjoying the Jazz thing at the moment.

sounds great,,jazz guitar is great,, i had a friend who was jazz trained guitarist doing big band he was a great player too..jazz is awesome must be incredible playing like that with a band ..the guys who have been playing that long really start to shine..that is amazing doing so many chords in one song ..i imagine you must be a great player

My style is mostly Rock with a little bit of Blues style thrown in. Although I probably play a lot of them, I couldn't tell you what a pentatonic scale is. I play by ear, and don't attempt to read music, although, if I really put my mind to it, I could. At my age and playing for 40+ years, I'd rather just have fun playing.

As for my real style, listen to any older RUSH (pre-Exit Stage Left) and that's what I strive for. Of course I still try to dable in newer RUSH too. [biggrin]

yeah i am the same i just love playing its real fun i find it hard to get to technical i know a little but compared to some its very limited ..i gave up trying to read music ..you got to enjoy it eh? yeah rush are very popular with some of the musos who went through that era i have heard this before ..

I play what I can, mostly rhythm, don't know much about music theory.

Beatles fan above all things.

Mostly NWOBHM and Thrash Metal fan that I gerw up with closely followed by 70's Blues Rock.

Special place for all Blues from the 1920's all the way to present day.

But... the guys I play with are children of the 90's so I end up playing that kind of stuff mainly...sigh

yeah i can relate to that i am bit the same sort of blues heavy rock metal type influence ..blues is great where so much of it comes from..i am not a very technical player like some of these guys but have the same thing playing the music of the 90s there was so much good music then i love drop tuning and can sort of get a bit happening there..but these kids that shred a million miles an hour sort of blow me away some of em are getting so technical it terms of timing and scales speed...but there is much to learn from the ol school players

My head is mostly mired in doomy down-tempo death metal and sludge metal, so I like using chromatics a lot for the death-doom stuff and mostly minor pentatonic and some chromatics for the sludge metal stuff. There's a lot of overlap, though. For my industrial metal band, it's mostly chromatics, and for that matter it's mostly rhythms played in drop C with power chords and fxckloads of grimy distortion. I don't play solos in that band, but in the sludge/doom band I'm working with now I'll be expected to play a bunch of solos here and there. Depending on the mood I want to give off, I'll either rely heavily on minor pentatonic or on harmonic minor and Phrygian dominant if I want it to sound a little more exotic. I really need to get back into working on my lead chops again--my rhythm playing is tight and crunchy, but my lead playing is a little simplistic and I'd like to improve in that area, so I may delve back into the Troy Stetina books for a few ideas. I've also been trying to play Acid Bath, Sleep, Clutch and Crowbar in my practice time, so that's giving me an idea of the kind of stuff I should do. This new band is a little bit like Clutch, but because our first few gigs will probably be pretty heavy on covers, we want to apply our grungy sludge style to a bunch of different out-of-genre songs--like "I'm Eighteen" by Alice Cooper, "Wish" by Nine Inch Nails, "Nothing Compares 2 U" by Sinead O'Connor and "Tik Tok" by Ke$ha. I'm completely serious about those last two covers, too. We're just having fun with our music, so we enjoy covering some oddball stuff here and there. They're all pure sludge metal when we play them, though.

When I'm just futzing around on the guitar, though, I like harmonic minor, Phrygian dominant, Locrian, Aeolian and Mixolydian a lot. I can apply those to my sludge stuff, too, if the mood suits it.

Much like Guitar George, I know all the Chords.

However, I'm not strictly rhythm. I do like to make it Cry and Sing.

While I can play the Honky Tonk like anything, and old guitar is all I can afford.

I actually learned my fist scales on Trumpet, but I turned to guitar because nobody gave a damn about any trumpet playing band. It's not what they called Rock and Roll.

My head is mostly mired in doomy down-tempo death metal and sludge metal, so I like using chromatics a lot for the death-doom stuff and mostly minor pentatonic and some chromatics for the sludge metal stuff. There's a lot of overlap, though. For my industrial metal band, it's mostly chromatics, and for that matter it's mostly rhythms played in drop C with power chords and fxckloads of grimy distortion. I don't play solos in that band, but in the sludge/doom band I'm working with now I'll be expected to play a bunch of solos here and there. Depending on the mood I want to give off, I'll either rely heavily on minor pentatonic or on harmonic minor and Phrygian dominant if I want it to sound a little more exotic. I really need to get back into working on my lead chops again--my rhythm playing is tight and crunchy, but my lead playing is a little simplistic and I'd like to improve in that area, so I may delve back into the Troy Stetina books for a few ideas. I've also been trying to play Acid Bath, Sleep, Clutch and Crowbar in my practice time, so that's giving me an idea of the kind of stuff I should do. This new band is a little bit like Clutch, but because our first few gigs will probably be pretty heavy on covers, we want to apply our grungy sludge style to a bunch of different out-of-genre songs--like "I'm Eighteen" by Alice Cooper, "Wish" by Nine Inch Nails, "Nothing Compares 2 U" by Sinead O'Connor and "Tik Tok" by Ke$ha. I'm completely serious about those last two covers, too. We're just having fun with our music, so we enjoy covering some oddball stuff here and there. They're all pure sludge metal when we play them, though.

When I'm just futzing around on the guitar, though, I like harmonic minor, Phrygian dominant, Locrian, Aeolian and Mixolydian a lot. I can apply those to my sludge stuff, too, if the mood suits it.

yeah sludge is good for sure i get into ISIS i also like tuning to B its actually drop D tuned down one and half steps..it is a different approach but i love it actuallly i prefer using an esp horizon for this type of stuff the 24 frets and setup handles the baritone well the intonation is better behaved.. i love em with gibsons ...i am a bit like you in some ways.. i do a lot of rhythmic stuff in B usually minor keys try to find riffs and and build up progressions its a subtle sort of things tuned so low it actuallly sounds great clean to ..like i said i am big into ISIS and try to sort learn from them in their approach..most progessions are really blues theory with some chromatic passing ..its actually quite good doing some lead in this tuning the strings are nice and soft and you can get fast with it..i usually stay safe with the pentatonic patterns here the same would in drop D ..treating the first pattern on the 10th fret..i dont use a lot of different keys in this approach..but like you say if you work the lead up you can get a bit of fluency with it ..i been trying some different right hand tapping stuff too..this is good with pro tools tracks it fairly easy to build up i also like being able to do every thing myself..bass guitar lead rhythm keys occasionally so i can follow ideas through..i got to admit i do struggle with modes i just get confused i know all this stuff of a major scale and different starting points but yeah i get a little lost..some times i like to check the uber players like john petrucci and paul gilbert i go through little phases where i try to shred not very well may i add but i like to get that sort of athletic approach to it ..petrucci has some great classes he sometimes used more pstterns rather than just scales..i get to caught up in the pentatonic and minor scales and need to find ways out of them sometimes using passing notes in and out of the key ..yeah i could start raving on but i will cut it off hahaa but yeah i guess i got different appproaches but the music i listen to the most is more along those lines tool isis russian citrcles trent renzor apc pelican etc mainly post metal ..oh yea its good to go back to standard sometimes and just sort of play ol school pentatonic it all helps in the end i think

Archived