Gibson Brands Forums

All My Rowdy Friends

Californiaman

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Regardless of my opinion of Hank's statement, (or level of sobriety), I still find it ironic that a major media outlet, who lives and dies on the Constitutional amendments of 'freedom of speech' and 'freedom of the press', will openly 'discipline' someone who says something they don't agree with. One would think that being forever thought of as an idiot by the millions of viewers watching would be punishment enough. :unsure:

We often forget that the first amendment refers to the people's and the press' right to not have their speech/expression censored by the government. That's all that the Constitution really gives us, in the end: things that the government cannot do to the people. To be fair, ESPN had the same right to censor Hank Jr. as Hank Jr. had to say the things that were to be censored in the first place. Private entities reserve the right to censor whatever they choose, constitutionally, as long as the government is not involved in upholding this censorship.

I have to agree with XD, ESPN has every right to sterilize their brand. Can you imagine what would happen to Monday Night football if they started alienating one sect of the political audience, and pissed off the Jews? If you're going to be entertaining football fans the last thing you're going to want to do is piss off half of them with something that has nothing to do with Football.

I'm sure they realize their target demographic is mostly nonvoters, so just getting political is going to turn off a big part of the veiwing audience.

I was surprised when I heard it that he didn't say Obama was Hitler. he just said it would be like if Hitler played golf with some other guy (I forget who).

Anyways, stick to music bud

Benjamin Netanyahu is the Leader of Israel, a Jewish State that rose out of the ashes of World War II and the Holocaust. He basically was saying that Obama is to America and the Republicans what Hitler was to the Jews.

I'm sure we all remember the first hundred days of Obama's presidency when he tortured and killed millions of Republicans, stripping them of their citizenship and humanity, then made them shovel each other into mass graves. [unsure]

Can you imagine your Bass Player or Drummer taking the mic during the first set break and railing against half the audience? Even if I agreed with what they were railing against they'd be FIRED for alienating the audience. I'm with ESPN on this one, and blame Fox for bringing on ANYONE who opposes the President, no matter how Stupid they are. They really set ol' Hank up for that fall.

I don't know when we decided that we give a flying poo about celebrity/musican's views on politics anyway. It doesn't matter if its Hank Williams, Bono, Spinal Tap, or Iggy Pop, if your political views are influenced by the whims of pop stars, than you should not set foot within 300 feet of a voting booth. I don't know if this is the annoying mainstream media, or if there is actually a retarded redneck somewhere that saw the interview and thought, "Wow, that Hank Williams is right, I cant believe I didn't see it before. Obama is a Nazi! Hell, I'm ready for some football, now."

I'm sure they realize their target demographic is mostly nonvoters, so just getting political is going to turn off a big part of the veiwing audience.

The NFL's target audience is people that can afford to drop $150-200 for a seat, plus $60 for parking, dogs, and brews. NFL's complete cable package (season ticket) is almost $400 a season through my provider. Get a clue, bro. The NFL wants fans with money that will spend it on NFL sh*t. I don't know of many "non-voters" that can afford to blow 2 grand+ on seats in the press box.

Actually Hank was stating that Obama is like the leader of Israel. Come on guys... Everyone one knows the Republicans are always the Nazis in a story like this.

....and yes, ESPN has every right to fire Hank if they feel he cast their network in an unflattering light.

And just for the record. Any time your point has become so weak that you feel you must reference the Nazis to bolster it.... you lose. NOTHING! is like Hitler and the Nazis. Nothing...

... you guys can't be for real in thinking that people will actually not watch NFL football over this are you? This years come back kid is a guy who just did a stent in the slammer for torturing and killing dogs. You think a drunken Hank comment is going to upset any one? :blink:

I don't know when we decided that we give a flying poo about celebrity/musican's views on politics anyway. It doesn't matter if its Hank Williams, Bono, Spinal Tap, or Iggy Pop, if your political views are influenced by the whims of pop stars, than you should not set foot within 300 feet of a voting booth. I don't know if this is the annoying mainstream media, or if there is actually a retarded redneck somewhere that saw the interview and thought, "Wow, that Hank Williams is right, I cant believe I didn't see it before. Obama is a Nazi! Hell, I'm ready for some football, now."

I too have to wonder why FoxNews thought of asking Williams about politics. He's a rowdy country star for heaven's sake.

... you guys can't be for real in thinking that people will actually not watch NFL football over this are you? This years come back kid is a guy who just did a stent in the slammer for torturing and killing dogs. You think a drunken Hank comment is going to upset any one? :blink:

No, I can't see people letting this stop them from watching Monday Night Football, but I can see ESPN worrying about protestors in the parking lot and lawyers in the waiting room. If he's used anyone but Hitler he'd have been ok.

The NFL's target audience is people that can afford to drop $150-200 for a seat, plus $60 for parking, dogs, and brews. NFL's complete cable package (season ticket) is almost $400 a season through my provider. Get a clue, bro. The NFL wants fans with money that will spend it on NFL sh*t. I don't know of many "non-voters" that can afford to blow 2 grand+ on seats in the press box.

I was just going by the people I've known and grown up with. I have no epirical evidence as to the football to politics ratio, nor do I know the ratio of "Voters" to "People willing to fork out lotsa dough for Football". It would be interesting to see a real poll of Monday Night Football viewers just to see who Votes and who doesn't.

I'm also just considering that in the 2008 election %58 of the voting age population turned out to vote, and that was considered very high. That %42 goes into ESPN's data possessor.

The joke is actually on Hank, Jr. and FOX. I'm sure that FOX was thinking how nice it would be to interview a guy who would appeal to the conservative, red-neck segment of the viewing audience, but quickly realized that the views that Hank was expressing would do more harm to the FOX image than good. I think the backlash that conservatives got during the republican presidential debates when the audience cheered executions in Texas and booed a gay soldier has made FOX re-think the humanity represented by the extreme right and, if nothing else, realize that it is costing them votes.

As far as giving credence to the politics of pop stars, let us not forget that there are many pop stars who are very qualified to make public political statements due to their involvement in national and global projects. People like Brad and Angelina, Tom Morello, Bono, Billy Bragg, Bob Geldof, etc., etc. are trying to do some good and have an influence on the political landscape. Lets not forget Arnold Schwarzenegger, Jesse Ventura, Al Franken, Alan Grayson, and Ronald Reagan.

BUT, giving air time to people like Hank Jr. and Roseanne Barr is more like a bad joke. In this case, I don't think that Hank Jr. was trying to say that Obama is like Hilter, but conservatives, for whatever reason, have been using that comparison for several years, and it was natural for left wingers to bristle, especially in the context that Hank used.

Ask an unqualified guy guy a question, and get an unqualified answer.

If you are not willing to accept the answer, don't ask the question.

What was intended for fun is now a issue that is being taken seriously? Expecting Hank to be politically correct is like Hitler playing golf with a Jew.

Ask an unqualified guy guy a question, and get an unqualified answer.

If you are not willing to accept the answer, don't ask the question.

What was intended for fun is now a issue that is being taken seriously? Expecting Hank to be politically correct is like Hitler playing golf with a Jew.

I was trying to make the same point earlier but somehow my post was deleted. Maybe I wasn't as eloquent as you. msp_confused.gif

Regardless of my opinion of Hank's statement, (or level of sobriety), I still find it ironic that a major media outlet, who lives and dies on the Constitutional amendments of 'freedom of speech' and 'freedom of the press', will openly 'discipline' someone who says something they don't agree with. One would think that being forever thought of as an idiot by the millions of viewers watching would be punishment enough. :unsure:

I had no problem with the analogy whatsoever, could care less who it may have offended. That's the main problem with America, everybody is too sensitive and gets butthurt way too easy. Especially when it comes to the anointed one in the WH. If you listen to the statement, he never did directly liken Obama to Hitler or vice-versa with Boehner to Netanyahu. It was assumed by the talking heads in which direction the analogy was made and they ran with it. Shame on them and shame on those vilifying Hank for speaking his mind even if it was a little cloudy in there.

I had no problem with the analogy whatsoever, could care less who it may have offended. That's the main problem with America, everybody is too sensitive and gets butthurt way too easy. Especially when it comes to the anointed one in the WH. If you listen to the statement, he never did directly liken Obama to Hitler or vice-versa with Boehner to Netanyahu. It was assumed by the talking heads in which direction the analogy was made and they ran with it. Shame on them and shame on those vilifying Hank for speaking his mind even if it was a little cloudy in there.

The problem was two fold. One, he used a Hitler reference. That's not a name you drop casually in a conversation regardless of who you are talking about. Two, he sounded *wasted* for an appearance on a morning show. Not good for the wholesome, promise keeper NFL crowd.

Personally, I could care less what comes out of his pie hole. It takes a lot to offend me. But I am not an executive at Disney (ESPN's parent company) so my opinion on this is just that; an opinion.

Like it or not, the line between celebrities and politics gets more skewed all the time. I mean, we've elected Arnold Schwarzenegger, Clint Eastwood, Sonny Bono, Jesse Ventura and Bill Bradley to public office based largely on the public appeal created through their fame. Good or bad, people DO care about the political opinions of celebrities.

Regardless of my opinion on the content of his statement, I still admire anyone who will say what they feel and stand by it, even when what they say is unpopular. American history books have been written because of men and woman who paid a price for doing the same thing.

ESPN drops Hank Williams Jr, . Hank claims he quit

Welp, there's a new turn of the worm - report - http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/ESPN-drops-Hank-Williams-Jr-from-8216-Monday?urn=nfl-wp8807

ESPN: . "We have decided to part ways with Hank Williams Jr. We appreciate his contributions over the past years. The success of Monday Night Football has always been about the games and that will continue."

I was just going by the people I've known and grown up with. I have no epirical evidence as to the football to politics ratio, nor do I know the ratio of "Voters" to "People willing to fork out lotsa dough for Football". It would be interesting to see a real poll of Monday Night Football viewers just to see who Votes and who doesn't.

I'm also just considering that in the 2008 election %58 of the voting age population turned out to vote, and that was considered very high. That %42 goes into ESPN's data possessor.

The Northeast is home to some of the most successful sports franchises in the USA. You got the Pats, Jets, and Giants; all very profitable teams parked in some very blue states. On the flip side, you have the Cowboys, Panthers, and Titans that draw a much more conservative crowd. So with this diversity of fans, its not wise to utilize entertainers with strong views either way. Ever been to a Jets game? You know how many Jewish people pack MetLife stadium to cheer for the Jets? I will tell you one thing that does not require empirical evidence; Jewish people don't like it when red-necks casually draw parallels to Hitler next to Israeli leaders.

The Northeast is home to some of the most successful sports franchises in the USA. You got the Pats, Jets, and Giants; all very profitable teams parked in some very blue states. On the flip side, you have the Cowboys, Panthers, and Titans that draw a much more conservative crowd. So with this diversity of fans, its not wise to utilize entertainers with strong views either way. Ever been to a Jets game? You know how many Jewish people pack MetLife stadium to cheer for the Jets? I will tell you one thing that does not require empirical evidence; Jewish people don't like it when red-necks casually draw parallels to Hitler next to Israeli leaders.

That's the thing.

Archived