Gibson Brands Forums

noel gallagher...

S t e v e

George Harrison's first solo album. Or rather the name of the film who's soundtrack it was...

BTW I'm not sticking up for Oasis here =; I didn't like that song much either... [thumbdn]

Oooh, thanks for enlightening me. [thumbup]

That being said, how can someone be a wonderwall though? :unsure: [confused]

Not trying to be difficult or anything, just... befuddled

Have to say that I liked the first album and loved the second, and liked a few songs from each of the following albums. Not a massive Oasis fan, although I always prefered them to Blur.

I quite like Noel - he's def not everyone's cup of tea. I've always thought he's come across quite well in most interviews I've seen him give. I know Oasis got a lot of bad press for arrogance etc but i put the majority of that down to the fact that most of that nonsense is staged and publicity seeking. Can't say that I'm a fan of Liam though.

That being said, how can someone be a wonderwall though? :unsure: [confused]

There are many, many songs who's lyrics don't make any sense. Including-, and especially- some of the later stuff from Messrs. Lennon & McCartney ("Semolina Pilchard" anyone? :blink: ). There's not much point trying to make any sense out of most popular song lyrics, let alone find any "deeper" meaning. Just enjoy them, or not, as they are. Otherwise you'll just be banging your head ](*,) against your own (wonder)wall. [biggrin]

Arrogant spuds , cant stand the pair of them. Why knowbodys pushed him of stage before I dont know ,oh hang on a minute. Hes is to playing guitar what I am to brain surgery,and im not a brain surgeon.

I think Noel is a brilliant songwriter. A little lazy on the lyrics (all verses have the same lines), but with those catchy melodies, so what. This is a personal favorite; specifically this version.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBbyc3t-Ctc&feature=related

Probably my favorite Oasis song, especially the live versions where Noel sings.

Personally, I am not a massive fan of his music or his guitaring ability.

however, he is genuinely a funny and intelligent guy. He does quite a few things on BBC Radio 2 over the years and I have to say that for me, he comes across quite well.

I have to add also that although I am not a massive fan of their music now, at the time (from 15 onwards) I couldn't get enough of them. It was Definitely Maybe that made me want to play the guitar and it was the sight of Noel with his original Epiphone that really got me into the brand.

So, in summary, I used to love his music, but not now. And he seems like a decent bloke (as decent as any multi millionaire rock star is ever going to be)

Well, whether you like him or not, you can't deny that he has written some off the best songs in the last 20 years of pop/rock music. I think he's absolutely hilarious in interviews. He's so brutally honest and I appreciate that in an artist. I guess with Noel you just either love the bastard or hate him. If anyone has listened to him talk lately, he doesn't have the same type of coked up arrogant attitude that he had in the 90's so I don't know why people constantly go back to that. He's a lot more down to earth now and just wants to make music. He really is a very talented guy and he doesn't try to pretend he's something he's not. He writes songs with mostly simple melodies and okay lyrics and some of them become great tunes. I think he's great and I really enjoy his music, but that's just my opinion. [thumbup]

It's funny how media impressions stick... "Liam is the arrogant thug, Noel the more down to earth... etc." Apparently, according to people who know the brothers, it's the other way around!

Liam, despite the "swagger", is supposedly quite a solid bloke. The arrogance had a lot to do with the image the band were trying to propagate... Especially in the early days.

Noel, on the other hand, is by all opinions a right nasty little merchant banker! [thumbdn]

I obviously don't really "know" this, but it's telling, that when the brothers finally split after God know's how many arguments, all the rest of the band stuck with Liam! I also find it incredibly bad taste, that Noel Gallagher often and gladly put down ex colleagues and helpers in the press... The earlier band members are kids he grew up with, for god's sake!!! Not to mention how dismissive he is of other bands and musicians!

Still, fair's fair... "Definitely Maybe" was a cracking debut and "..Morning Glory" had some fantastic songs on it. It all went pants after that though. [flapper]

Um, how are they supposed to be received after shaping their brand. They put that face on their product and that's what people know. Of course they don't know them personally, and those that do are going to have a nicer impression because they're being friendly. It would be interesting to hear what Waiters and Valets think of them, that's probably a better barometer for their personalities than one of their friends or an interviewer.

Since I have no opinion about Oasis beyond, "They're Boring", I have to say I've always hated John Mayer. Of course I don't know him, I hate his voice, his limp wristed playing, and the unrealistic arrogance he portrays in the public eye. Has nothing to do with him as a person, just his Brand.

I think Noel is a brilliant songwriter. A little lazy on the lyrics (all verses have the same lines), but with those catchy melodies, so what. This is a personal favorite; specifically this version.

How can you have Brilliant and Lazy in the same description? [confused]

Well, whether you like him or not, you can't deny that he has written some off the best songs in the last 20 years of pop/rock music. I think he's absolutely hilarious in interviews. He's so brutally honest and I appreciate that in an artist. I guess with Noel you just either love the bastard or hate him. If anyone has listened to him talk lately, he doesn't have the same type of coked up arrogant attitude that he had in the 90's so I don't know why people constantly go back to that. He's a lot more down to earth now and just wants to make music. He really is a very talented guy and he doesn't try to pretend he's something he's not. He writes songs with mostly simple melodies and okay lyrics and some of them become great tunes. I think he's great and I really enjoy his music, but that's just my opinion. [thumbup]

It actually kinda sounds like that's exactly what folks in this thread are denying.

Absolutely my favorite Oasis song. It's a masterpiece in my book. [thumbup]

Archived