Gibson Brands Forums

Gretsch 5120

dc3c46

I ended up trading for one of those a couple of months back. The one I got still had the foam pad under the bridge that they ship with, so the guy must not have played it at all.

New strings and a set up and it plays just fine. I kind of like the way it sounds. It plays pretty easy and the Bigsby is nice to play around with.

I'll bet you will like it a lot. Not a bad guitar for the money.

gretsch001.jpg

This followed me home the day before yesterday.

Could not resist. Now I feel guilty for giving in to GAS.

I am so weak.

Correction: it is a 6120

Hello, Fellow Babies,

"Fa... F... Followed you home, dc3c46?" Holy Cow, that is one beautiful guitar. I've always loved the orange finish. You just can't know how jealous that makes me. I've been leaving a trail of picks and guitar strings leading to my front door... I've been looking for the right bait for years. I've even tried leaving a trail of peanuts in the hopes a Gretsch would follow me home some day, and it hasn't worked yet.... ****...

I'm so jealous and excited my voice has gone gone to such a high frequency it's waking dogs in the neighborhood. I'm not talking again till I get my voice under control. This is your fault.

gretsch001.jpg

This followed me home the day before yesterday.

Could not resist. Now I feel guilty for giving in to GAS.

I am so weak.

Correction: it is a 6120

Hello, Fellow Babies,

I humbly beg your pardon for using so much space and posting twice. It was a accident. I was excited. But it was your fault. Sometimes I get like an excited puppy and pee all over.... Gretsches do that to me, That and big bowls of ice cream.

IMHO, I think the great Gretsch sound is one of the most under-appreciated guitar sounds. Those who know it only for its rockabilly tone aren't really familiar with all of its sonic potential. It has a woody warmth, high end sting and low end punch that is useful in many more genres than country or rockabilly. Plus, the neck is very comfortable and playability is excellent, and it is easy to play finger-style. The things I don't like about it are the floating bridge and the inaccessability to the upper frets (which is typical of many hollow bodies).

IMHO, I think the great Gretsch sound is one of the most under-appreciated guitar sounds. Those who know it only for its rockabilly tone aren't really familiar with all of its sonic potential. It has a woody warmth, high end sting and low end punch that is useful in many more genres than country or rockabilly. Plus, the neck is very comfortable and playability is excellent, and it is easy to play finger-style. The things I don't like about it are the floating bridge and the inaccessability to the upper frets (which is typical of many hollow bodies).

Do you think I could use it for my death metal?

Actually, now that I've considered it, I really want to try that out just for the halibut. Too bad I'd get ridiculous feedback from a hollow model. Probably even a little feedback from a semi-hollow. I could always just not use so much gain, though...

Archived