Gibson Brands Forums

How many of you have played a NEW Gibson with quailty issues?

dem00n

My SG 24 50th anniversary came with several significant finish imperfections, underspray, shoddy binding on the neck and a burn from buffing on one horn.

The only reason I bought it online is because I could not find one locally, I could not return it either because they were sold out.

From now on, I am not buying a Gibson that I cannot play and choose in person.

Having said that my SG rocks, can't get that sound and feel anywhere else other than Gibson but they know this and I guess don't think quality control is important.

Played? Seriously? Like, every MM thing in both of our GCs. Dreadful. Seriously. I wouldn't buy three of them for 500 bucks. Terrible guitars, I don't know why they would waste the effort to cobble them together.

Most of the local "faded" SGs, LPStudios. Just feel cheap. That may NOT be a quality issue for you, but it is for me, because I am from a time when we didn't have 43 variations of the same Les Paul, each one a little cheaper than the other. I know what I expect, these fadeds were miles from it, and with regular weekends out and about, they'd only get worse.

Couple, three or 4 maybe, spensive flame-y LPs at our local GC had strangely similar sorta bent-not-quite-square looking G machines. Me thinks they all got knocked to the skinny string side and went over from straight up. Not a quality issue to me, I'd be changing them things anyway. To the average internet user? Prolly be demanding 1500 of the 2000 back.

Quite a bunch of stupid heavy LPStudios. I have no interest in a studio, I have owned the worlds greatest Les Paul to me since 2000, so I'm just kicking tires. Man, them things are heavy. Like, Norlin heavy. May not be a quality issue to the average shoe gazer, but it is to me. I am old. Don't need a 12 pound guitar, got two 12 pound cats.

Remember too, your quality issue is not mine. If it's a gigging guitar for me, you would say ALL of them have quality issues, because I'm putting Grovers on it as soon as it gets home, I won't take them out of the house with stockers if I can help it. But that isn't a quality issue to me, I remember when they put Grovers on them, some still get them, most don't. I'm ok with it, I'll change them.

That's all I can think of right now. If I went over to GC at lunch time I could come up with some more.

rct

My SG 24 50th anniversary came with several significant finish imperfections, underspray, shoddy binding on the neck and a burn from buffing on one horn.

The only reason I bought it online is because I could not find one locally, I could not return it either because they were sold out.

From now on, I am not buying a Gibson that I cannot play and choose in person.

Having said that my SG rocks, can't get that sound and feel anywhere else other than Gibson but they know this and I guess don't think quality control is important.

April of this year I bought my first in 51 years of life SG, a 50th Anniversay 24. Had to order it ahead of time online, none to be had around here. Was told it would be a minimum of two months, had it in 8 days. Flawless. I was ready to return it, I was certain I would be sending it back. Absolutely Flawless. I don't know how they do it sometimes. I love that thing, glad I finally broke down and got me an SG.

rct

i went to go buy a ping pong paddle, but the foam was coming off.

shoddy chinese labour i tell ya.

its ok though, i bought custom shop, so the quality was better

But, but, all ping pong paddles SOUND the same, you little lemming you !!!!!!! [flapper]:rolleyes:[blink][-X:-k[-(eusa_sick.gif:^o#-o[lol] .......

But, but, all ping pong paddles SOUND the same, you little lemming you !!!!!!! [flapper]:rolleyes:[blink][-X:-k[-(eusa_sick.gif:^o#-o[lol] .......

you can hear the difference in quality foams/coatings on the paddle as well as the quality of the ball. single star balls are not as loud as triple star balls, and triple star balls have a much more concise hit

you gotta go quality. i have a 30 dollar paddle that i don't let anyone else use, its got a polyurethane coating instead of foam and the other one i had like it got ruined.

you can hear the difference in quality foams/coatings on the paddle as well as the quality of the ball. single star balls are not as loud as triple star balls, and triple star balls have a much more concise hit

you gotta go quality. i have a 30 dollar paddle that i don't let anyone else use, its got a polyurethane coating instead of foam and the other one i had like it got ruined.

All ping pong balls sound the same. And all Gibsons make the same sound when you use them for a paddle.

I bet you could.t tell one paddle from another if we hit you in the nuts with it.

I said none, for the sake of being truthful and accurate.

Not that I don't believe that none is how many exist, or that I don't know of cases.

To be fair though, while I have tried and checked out MANY Gibsons at various times, those that don't really do much for me get put back on the wall without really checking to see if there are any real faults, wehter they matter or not.

All ping pong balls sound the same. And all Gibsons make the same sound when you use them for a paddle.

I bet you could.t tell one paddle from another if we hit you in the nuts with it.

are you crazy?

the quality of 3 star balls is much higher than that of 1 star balls. the 3 stars spring and bounce much better, the 1 stars sound muffled

April of this year I bought my first in 51 years of life SG, a 50th Anniversay 24. Had to order it ahead of time online, none to be had around here. Was told it would be a minimum of two months, had it in 8 days. Flawless. I was ready to return it, I was certain I would be sending it back. Absolutely Flawless. I don't know how they do it sometimes. I love that thing, glad I finally broke down and got me an SG.

rct

This is my first SG too, I would have sent it back but could not.

I took it to the Gibson Repair Shop and they fixed most of the cosmetic issues, took them two months.

Great guitar isn't it? for me this is the SG to have.

are you crazy?

the quality of 3 star balls is much higher than that of 1 star balls. the 3 stars spring and bounce much better, the 1 stars sound muffled

I'm concerned about the quality of the chambering process being used in ping pong balls these days....

i wouldn't buy a guitar unless i could play it first. i think doing that will remedy the quality issues, not always doable, but to do otherwise is a risk. personally, all the Gibson's i see at the store look mint.

I purchaes several SG guitars this year and only one had a problem, the last one i purchased had a bad bridge pickup too weak and thin sounding maybe a shorted coil and the truss rod adj nut is too big to fit the gibby tool.

I did buy a SG MM when they first came out and the guitar was perfect.

Of all the Gibsons I have owned over the years I have only had one real "issue" so that's how I answered. The pickup switch on my Raw Power Les Paul crapped out after about a year. I replaced it with a Switch Craft and rolled on. Now, in fairness the guitar was fine when it left the factory so the QC was fine and once in a while a switch is gonna die too soon but I hold Gibson to a high standard.

I've been shopping around for a Gibson the past year and have seen a lot of what I would call quality control issues. This runs from tuners not looking in line, nuts that look like they were cut for a different guitar, dye bleeding into binding, binding lifting on the neck, no attempt to match grains, thick filler in between joins, cracks in neck joint, runs in the top... that's all I can think of right now. These problems ranged from the Les Paul Studio Faded series to the Les Paul Standard. That said all of these Gibson's come out of the same shop and there's a 50% chance you'll get a bad one if you order from them.

That said I played a ton of Gibson's this summer out at Long & McQuade and they were all flawless.

Many.

I also played 3 that were (almost) perfect.

Bought all 3 of them.

I also ordered 2 and they arrived with some issues, sent 1 back, the other I kept because it's not a production model and I couldn't get another one in the same finish at the same price (1000 bucks for a red metallic 2nd batch LP robot is low even for SamAsh and GC's latest Robot blowout).

The robot has crackled finish around the part where the neck and headstock join. Also the binding over the fret ends is horribly "open" and strings get caught in there.

The standard and the standard faded were almost perfect: The standard faded had some glue/dirt/whatever around the nut that was really noticeable (and I got that guitar directly out of the box when they arrived at the then local dealer). The standard had a damaged case (WTF Gibson?)

The SG I ordered came with the bridge so high you could use the damn thing as a bow. I lowered the action, and the neck was twisted. The thing wouldn't stay in tune even after setting her up.

The melody maker was amazingly perfect out of the box, go figure.

One day I'll get me a junior or a special double cut. I love p90s and the simplicity of those guitars.

Archived