Gibson Brands Forums

Solo performers with loop station : Cheating ??

CajunBlues

So, I have been invited to play my nylon string guitar for a solo perfromance on a wedding cocktail hour.... Ive seen a lot of guitarist these days using loop stations and/or backing tracks...

So what do you think, is this "cheating" ? Any and all opinions are welcome...

I'm a solo guitar player in a band and I absolutely depend on the looper. I don't think it's cheating, it's a necessity for some songs at least for me. [scared] I use both prerecorded tracks and also on the fly which is scary but fun.

I actually think if whatever you do in terms of what amounts to computerized assistance sounds good and you don't feel like you look really strange doing it in a performance, no big deal.

Personally I've decided not to. At least for now. Mostly that's because I think I'd look a bit odd on stage with a single guitar and mike playing with a bass and rhythm guitar and drum background while I sing three-part harmony with a little computerized stomp box or two and my computer playing those tracks that I recorded earlier.

I think once in a while it'd be neat to do for recording, but on stage? I don't think so now.

Somebody else may feel differently. I have a friend who's done it and somehow for him it didn't look strange. Years ago a buddy and I did a lotta saloon gigs with a couple guitars or guitar and bass with a Univox drum machine I still have and still doesn't sound that bad for early technology. Somehow it worked and we didn't feel strange using it. I dunno.

m

I use a looper when I perform acoustic solo quite often and Ive had a few people come up and ask me if it's recorded on a computer. Ive also used a Zen Drum laptop model drum quite a bit and gotten the same question is that recorded tracks on a computer. Ive found the best way to get around it as a solo performance is just tell them what your doing or even show them what your doing.

I had one show a few years back where one guy really thought I was faking it and he was very verbal about it, I guess he acted like I was a magic act and he felt it was his duty to explain every trick. It was really starting to bug me enough that I totally messed up on a track that I was trying to loop, my timing was way off with no way to recover it really, so I stopped made a joke about him messing me up and started the song over. From that song on no more comments no problem at all, he was a great audience member and even put a pretty good tip in the jar at the end of the night I jokingly said man you were really grilling me there at first, I thought one of us was gonna have to leave. He smiled and said yeah sorry man I thought it was fake and I'm so tired of live music being fake, it really pisses me off when I screwed you up I realized it wasn't recorded so I shut up and really enjoyed the show thanks.

Since then if anybody looks skeptical or confused, I explain the gear and even demo it a little. Ive even gone as far as getting somebody from the crowd involved with a clap or a OOH OOH that i'll then loop and use. That works really great especially if it's a small crowd or a special event like a wedding or similar.

Not cheating. As mentioned in various ways, it's a friggin' talent if done right, and Phil Keaggy is the poster boy for that! KT Tunstall also makes good use of loopers. And yeah, I think that Les Paul guy had a lot to do with this stuff (and let's not forget, that Les didn't have the advantage of "do overs". If he flubbed overdub #8, he also lost the previous 7 and was back to square one).

Archived