Gibson Brands Forums

Here we go again......the AGF bash

onewilyfool

It reads quite balanced to me, some people in support of the Gibson Acoustic and some like the op not such a big fan.

Matt

It does if seem "balanced" as a thread for a forum that hates Gibsons.

It comes off to ME as being rather apologetic.

I think, from a different perspective (like a GIBSON forum) is that having to explain or defend the fact that Gibson makes some quality guitars might seem rediculas.

This could be an all-out forum war in it's beginnings. We might want to sign you to a treaty now.

It does if seem "balanced" as a thread for a forum that hates Gibsons.

It comes off to ME as being rather apologetic.

I think, from a different perspective (like a GIBSON forum) is that having to explain or defend the fact that Gibson makes some quality guitars might seem rediculas.

This could be an all-out forum war in it's beginnings. We might want to sign you to a treaty now.

I've been told that Gibson is starting to "chamber" their acoustics now, as an option to "weight relieving" them........:unsure: [sneaky][blush]:-k :-k :) ......

Well, the original poster...lol...is implying that the only thing wrong with Gibsons is that you have to play them in a special way???? No other guitar on the planet requires this special attention? Wow, looks like a compliment, but is a backhand slap at Gibsons....lol...come on......Plus, personally most of the Gibsons flat tops I've played are actually pretty versatile, fingerstyle or strummed ( I don't "flat-pick" but I've seen ad heard PLENTY who play that way with no detriment) So backhand compliment aside, again if the guitar isn't suitable for new-age open tuning playing with quiche covered fingers, the guitar just won't fly on the AGF...

It's just the usual white noise, at least we haven't had "All Gibson's are rubbish, so bad that I haven't played one since the 70's" or some of the other classics I've seen down these type of threads.

I suppose it's easiest to get past it if we remember that hater's gotta hate....

It's an interesting leap though, take one example the j-45, the 'workhorse', imagine how foolish all those musical legends must feel today knowing that if only they had altered their technique their guitar could have sounded better, what truly boggles the mind is how this became one of the most copied designs in the world given that it must be played with an altered technique? I think we should really give a round of applause to Gibson for being able to manufacture all these faulty guitars, convince the stars to play them fairly extensively over the last 60-70 years and all the while they're laughing up their sleeves at us with our compromised tone and out unaltered techniques. Well done Gibson you really got us with that one..... [scared]

This silly negativity towards Gibson rears its head every so often, but only online, it seems.

I do a fair bit of session work, and have been lucky enough to work with some fantastic artists and top session players and producers. INVARIABLY, when I bring out one of my Gibsons in a studio environment, people melt into a puddle of superlatives about the brand and their products. The words I hear most often are "character", "tone", "beautiful" and, the big one, "SOUL". The people working at the coalface have the utmost respect for Gibson. I've never heard an established artist, sessioneer or producer say a single disparaging word about Gibson.

I hear other superlatives about Martin ("warm", "history", "bass response") and the likes of Collings ("build quality", "clarity", "perfect intonation") but Gibson is always the one that gets the golden epithets of "soul" and "character".

It is a fact that Gibsons need to be played in a particular way, but then again every guitar manufacturer has different characteristics that need to be adapted to. For example, you may be able to hit a J45 hard with a medium-heavy pick playing first position chords, but if you play, say, a Martin D35 in an identical manner, you'll have a preponderance of bass to deal with. You can flatpick the hell out of an AJ, but a Guild M20 needs a lighter touch.

We all know this-this is 'Book One' stuff. Anyone who maintains that Gibson deserves a black mark for requiring adaptation of style to play is a bit of a silly billy.

I can only say this like all guitar makers there are some greats and there are some dudes and there are stores that are to cheap to re-string them after they might have been on the floor to long. Seems to me the only real person that didn't care for them was the OP, and most of the others well seemed to think it was a joke anyway. Me I can love them and I can hate them but the one thing I do really well is play them, so who cares what one guy says anyway.ship

Jinder, "working in the coal face." That's good. When I pull out the Martin 000 after a layoff, I'm always struck by the accuracy and purity of individual notes, which really shines when you play a piece like, say, Jorma's Water Song. My J50 just isnt as hif-fi (kind of like early mid-range heavy Fender amps). When I strum the Martin, tho, it jangles--maybe because it doesnt have those thick mids to tie the notes together. That same quality makes it uncomfortable to back vocals. But, that rawness works well for good for old-time stuff like **** Justice or Lemon Jefferson. My Gibson drives right down the middle, not as precise on the instrumentals, not as edgy on old time stuff, but a good thick response throughout. Not everyone is going to get that. But that's no call to get snobby about it. Or, to react and go anti-snob.

I don't see the post bashing the moniker on the headstock as much as being part of a tendency some folks have to try and over analyze things and come up with a formula for which guitar works best for what kinda playing. Kinda like a bunch of white-coated scientists standing around a table performing an autopsy on an alien.

Maybe I am simple but when I pick up a guitar for the first time I am generally more concerned with nut width and neck profile than what the heck the top wood is.

I don't care for bashing. I don't like the AGF environment of bashing. I don't like the Gibson bashing which seems to always generate Gibson bashing frenzies. This crap has been going on over there for to long to cut them any slack.

[thumbdn] <_<

You see the same sort of crap about Rickenbackers (especially on the BeatGear forum - due to some disgruntled former Rick employees there). When people go out of their way to diss a guitar company it is usually to flog whatever guitar brand they own or because they can't afford the price point of a fine instrument.

My mother taught me that you don't build yourself up by tearing someone else down. And she would also say when someone is criticizing you to "look at where it is coming from".

It's not worth getting annoyed because someone doesn't share the same opinion on something as you on the net - at the end of the day, does it matter if someone (usually with a silly screen name LOL) has contrary opinions on various issues such as what guitar works for them etc - most of the stuff I love and hold dear musically is not shared by the majority of the people on guitars sites, but I love it - and that's I care about LMAO [flapper]

Matt

p.s I joined the site though because I think it is awesome they have a nylon guitar and luthier mader guitars section! Both things right up my street [thumbup]

Well, the original poster...lol...is implying that the only thing wrong with Gibsons is that you have to play them in a special way???? No other guitar on the planet requires this special attention? Wow, looks like a compliment, but is a backhand slap at Gibsons....lol...come on......Plus, personally most of the Gibsons flat tops I've played are actually pretty versatile, fingerstyle or strummed ( I don't "flat-pick" but I've seen ad heard PLENTY who play that way with no detriment) So backhand compliment aside, again if the guitar isn't suitable for new-age open tuning playing with quiche covered fingers, the guitar just won't fly on the AGF...

Had three Taylors a few years ago. Comfy necks, but I played them in every special way possible to find some bass. Never did find it.

The only problem I have with my Gibson is that I waited too long to get it... Jus' saying...

Had three Taylors a few years ago. Comfy necks, but I played them in every special way possible to find some bass. Never did find it.

The only problem I have with my Gibson is that I waited too long to get it... Jus' saying...

Same here, a few years back my local dealer had Taylor's coming in and kept preaching to me that they were the next Gibson or Martin. I checked out their specs on the internet and was set on a Taylor 701ce until I had it in my hands... no bass response or volume to really speak of. The Yamaha LL36 alongside of it made it look bad.

I don't know if it's bashing as much as people not knowing what the heck they're talking about. trying to be so definite on such a subjective topic is just plain silly. I like that one of the biggest basher lists some fairly low end gear under his name.

I never go to that forum, or only when it's referred to here. I find it largely adolescent discussion. Got no time for THAT corner, boys!

Guth is trying in vain to fly the Gibson flag right now on the AGF, brave soul, admire him for doing this.

Basically only a few folks were actually able to answer the question that was asked, the automatic 'crap consitency' memory gland erupts wihtout thinking.

Trust you dont mind me placing this thread here Bill, you know ill always support ya !

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=235155

Way to go Guth.....I've also confronted a few of the "boutique" guitar owners, asking them to post their music examples on the web, to no avail....I guess for them, it is just enough to own a $20K guitar....in the motorcycle world, they would be called "posers"...guys with VERY expensive motocycles and only tread wear down the center of the tire. LOL...it's easy to talk smack about a Honda, when you own a Ducati, but maybe the Honda guy can actually RIDE the motorcycle.......I think RAR said something significant......Gibson sells EVERY guitar they make, so someone is buying. What doesn't sound good to one sounds wonderful to the ear of another. I really think that a lot of this residual distaste comes from the botched management and design decisions of the Norlin years (even though I've heard some amazing Norlin year guitars...and a few duds)

The Unofficial Martin Forum is pretty good - it is nicely divided into the relevant sections like the '12 string cafe' and such. Perhaps this is the difference between Martin and Gibson players - the Gibson Acoustic forum is one long improv.

The AGF is all over the shop and I can never find much worth reading on it? (Taylor Players?)

BluesKing777.

Archived