Gibson Brands Forums

Tequila

saturn

I know everyone will want to say Patron. I tried Cabo Wabo and actually think it's smoother.

This weekend I thought I'd give 1800 a try since I saw those comercials with Michael Imperioli. Nah..should have got the Cabo again.

Speaking of Tequila B)

Cabo Wabo is pretty good, I'm not too up to date with good tequilas. I usually end up buying high quality whiskies and vodkas when the mood strikes. Tequila was usually an "alright let's get ripped" alcohol when I was in college and the couple years after.

As long as it is 100% Blue Agave and distilled twice the rest is a matter or taste, I prefer Jose Cuervo Reposado which is slightly aged in a barrel and nicely priced. The darker stuff is aged longer.

Some premium Tequilas are distilled 3 times but to a lot of folks that takes away from the flavor of Agave,

Like many other alcohol drinks as long as there is 51% of Tequila in the bottle they can be called Tequila, the other 49% id typically sugar cane alcohol, avoid

Some cheaper Tequila like Gold has colorants, the color was not acquired in a barrel avoid

Last: Tequila is for sipping, if you are going to make it a shot make it 1 ounce at the time.

I always cringe when people suck down a 2 or 3 ounce "shot" and hate the stuff later on,

Cabo Wabo is pretty good, I'm not too up to date with good tequilas. I usually end up buying high quality whiskies and vodkas when the mood strikes. Tequila was usually an "alright let's get ripped" alcohol when I was in college and the couple years after.

That's what I always thought of Tequila too. Until a friend turned me on tho some Patron and Don Julio and I realized good Tequila can be sipped.

Listen to Riffster up there.

Down in Disney World over in Epcot at Mexico(duh) they opened a new Tequila place, very small, very dark, extermely expensive tequilas and really great bar food.

I am, well, was, not a Tequila drinker in all my 50 years, hardly ever even had it in my life.

Man, Mrs and I went in there when it opened, I sat and had actual real Margarita made with best pour they had that day and Hole Lee Crap in less than 4 hours of sitting there sipping and enjoying a few different ones, I was made a believer. I have no idea what kind they were, I won't be buying any any time soon, but man, changed my mind completely.

rct

i don't care if it's tinted with spray-paint, I prefer gold tequilas, smoother than white.

To clarify, some "Gold" tequilas are the 51% agave 49% sugar cane kind, those are usually tinted. Not good for you or for hangovers. They arte meant to look like aged tequilas but they are not.

On the other hand there are "Gold" tequilas that are aged in oak barrels and like other liquors they get their color from the charred wood, these aged tequilas are usually premium 100% blue agave, these are aged and therefore look for the word "Añejo" or "Añejado" on the bottle.

I like Reposado which is slightly aged, takes of the edge but does not get as mellow as an aged tequila.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived