Gibson Brands Forums

Do any of you believe in "Organic foods/products"?

dem00n

Now when i say believe i don't mean that organic foods don't exist, but do you truly believe that when you buy an organic food product that it is really organic? Ive always noticed that prices of organic products from non organic products have quite a big price difference and is it even worth it in the long run?

The reason i'm asking this is because my dad is completely against it and I'm interested in other peoples views on it.

Dont turn political to. [flapper]

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is it worth paying a higher price for something that supposedly will be better for your health? Sounds like a pretty subjective question to me . . . .

Do I believe that genuinely organic stuff is going to help me live a little longer? I have my doubts based on the current environment in which I live.

Does eating organic stuff benefit the consumer? Price differential notwithstanding, yes. I'm sure that the general health benefits are irrefutable.

Does that answer your question? :rolleyes:

For some foods it is 100% worth it in the long run. A few examples are strawberries, apples, and root vegetables. The two fruits, when grown conventionally (horrible term, IMO), are bathed in pesticides. Yuck. Root vegetables, because they are roots in the ground, absorb any chemicals that make it into the ground. Yuck.

The worst non organic food is dairy. Cattle that are juiced up on growth hormones and antibiotics tend to have more puss in their milk plus you are putting more antibiotics into our environment. That means more drug resistant bugs (as if we don't have enough already).

I buy organic Amish eggs because they taste better and are worth the extra $.50 or so per dozen to know the chickens are not crammed on top of each other in small cages with their beaks clipped. If you are going to raise something for food at least give it some semblance of a life.

Organic does not have to be a wallet emptying trip to Whole Paycheck. Bet there is at least one farmer's market close by to buy organic produce.

I work for A Major National Retailer that specializes in these products as well as engaging in fair trade and Micro loans with developing nations.

There was a piece in TIME magazine a couple of years ago and you wind up spending roughly $850 more per year than in a conventional super market.

Yes I believe in it, and YES it is worth it....

Organic does not have to be a wallet emptying trip to Whole Paycheck.

This is also NOT the case any more WFM is now competitively priced with most Conventional markets on there Private Label Product (IE 365 Label), and most recently BELOW the conventional Competitors.

Obviously there are HUGE Differences between "Conventional" "Natural" And "Organic".

READ your labels, HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP is the thing you want to avoid, this is the item that has polluted our food supply with GMO's, Not exclusively, but it is the most common GMO found in our food supply.

I could Rant on but I think I am done....

All just MHO.....

I think it is more of a trend than a real benefit. For the most part, I am not scared or grossed-out by non-organic foods.

If something taste better, like some of the free-range eggs, I go for that.

For the most part, the "organic" label holds no weight with me.

But, I will definitely support local growers, or support any product where I feel closer to those producing the goods. I consider that money well spent even if it happens to be more money.

There was a piece in TIME magazine a couple of years ago and you wind up spending roughly $850 more per year than in a conventional super market.

I am lucky to have a really good local grocery store with a lot of regional produce so I don't have to shop at chain super market like Jewel or Dominicks. The few times a year I end up in one I am floored by how much processed foods the store really is. Their meats frighten me too. That's the one thing I always pay extra for: quality meats that are butchered at the place I buy it.

This is also NOT the case any more WFM is now competitively with most Conventional markets on there Private Label Product (IE 365 Label), and most recently BELOW the conventional Competitors.

I know. It's an old joke I can't drop.

btw 365 oatmeal and whole wheat pasta is the best.

Ahh yes, this reminds me of the argument that Chipotle is healthier than Moe's, due to the fact that it's organic. They're both prepared the same way, both have similar amounts of calories per burrito, Moe's just tastes better. Also, it's better on the wallet.

Now when i say believe i don't mean that organic foods don't exist, but do you truly believe that when you buy an organic food product that it is really organic? Ive always noticed that prices of organic products from non organic products have quite a big price difference and is it even worth it in the long run?

The reason i'm asking this is because my dad is completely against it and I'm interested in other peoples views on it.

Dont turn political to.

i've been a vegetarian for 15 years and all-organic the last 5. the price difference is negligible where i live. if you know all the benefits you get from organic food you will understand why it's the *only* way to go... nevermind the fact it tastes better. i do have a political 'agenda' with the whole vegetarian/organic/holistic lifestyle, but i keep that to myself and encourage you to open your mind to at least looking at those ideals.

Yep I definitely believe it is better for you and I am willing to pay the difference. I said sometimes because we eat out a lot and I know I don't control what's in the commercial kitchens. I go organic on certain things more than others many processed foods aren't worth the cost but Egg's and Chickens especially I won't eat unless they come from a organic farm I trust and know there too much crap added same for most beef products again unless there heavily processed which removes the health factor anyway. And definitely for milk I don;t like milk anyway so I sure am not gonna drink mild with all the steroids, hormones and antibiotics they pun into beef. As for fruits and vegetables were lucky we live in a area with community gardens as well as great Farmers markets every Saturday year round so we buy everything we can't grow at the farmers market.

I don't know if it's much healthier or not but it's gotta be better than all the chemicals and all the produce form mexico irrigated with sewage treatment water recharge so yep

I'm not into the organic thing other than the fact that I don't like to ingest any more chemicals that I have to.

Me and my wife have a garden and we don't spray any pesticides on the veggies, for what it's worth.

We have about twenty fig trees and we don't spray them either. We sell the figs and I guess they're organic, although I do use some 10-10-10 fertilizer on them, so maybe they're not organic. Not sure.

I ain't buying it. Most food products sold as "organic" are no different than "conventional" products. I think the most important thing about diet is to be mindful of the ratio of crap to quality you are eating. All things in moderation.

Arsenic is 100% organic and all natural.

Many organic foods are grown by big Multi-national companies anyway. Sometimes organic foods use "organic" pesticides, which can be just as harmful to us human types.

One of the worst cases against "Organic" products is the fact that thousands upon thousands of animals are slaughtered each year in efforts to protect and harvest the organic crops. Deer and grazing animals are shot and burned by and large, small underground creatures are usually caught in threshers and harvesters.

While this is true about a lot of field farming in general it tends to be worse with organic crops because their yields are not as large as a GM crop and thus are worth more per unit.

These topics are considered controversial at best and I'm sure Evol or someone else will yell at me for one reason or another. The bottom line is if you're being local produce only or organic only or vegan and don't eat anything that casts a shadow, be an INFORMED one.

I can't stand when people take the moral high ground argument with this whole organic thing. If you want to eat only organic just make sure you read both sides of the pamphlet.

(The above is considered opinion and not fact, don't base your thesis on it.)

Archived