Gibson Brands Forums

Scalloped fretboard? Opinions.

SlashPerryBurst

I've recently started listening to Malmsteen. Normally, I'm not really interested in shredders (and that includes Vai), but his music really inspires me. I'm considering buying a strat and a spare neck as an experiment. The spare neck would be getting scalloped in my spare time.

The problem is that fully scalloped fretboards are rare, so it's not as if I can go to a store and try one out. I've read various people's opinions on the internet and the general consensus seems to be "if they were that great, we'd all be using them by now". But there are also a large number of people that swear by them.

Has anyone ever tried a guitar with a full or partially scalloped neck? I'd never dream of doing this to my go to guitar, but I wouldn't mind experimenting on a strat as the necks aren't too expensive to buy and can be easily replaced. It's not the first time I've had ideas of trying something like this. I've always played hardtailed guitars, but in my late teens, I was adamant that I needed a guitar with a floyd rose. The novelty wore off very quickly though.

And for those who have possibly been living in a cave (or just don't care for that type of music)and have never heard of Ynwie Malmsteen, check the video below. I should warn people though, the video contains a picture of Lars Ulrich, so is not for the faint of heart.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-PnGWIKJp4

A few months ago I saw a used Malmsteen Strat in Guitar Center. I had to pick it up just to check out the scalloped fretboard. From the short time I played it, I didn't like it at all. And it seems easy to pull the strings sharp and out of tune. Maybe if I played it more I would get used to it, but my regular fretboard does me just fine.

it seems easy to pull the strings sharp and out of tune.

+1

I can't see the point of it myself.

I think it is just a gimmick. If it was such a great idea there would be lots of other guitar makers using it and there isn't.

I don't really think that's true. It sounds like it would take some getting used to....guitar players are creatures of habit and do not like and actively resist change. This is fact. I can see not giving it a chance because it feels weird when you first try it out...I bet if more people spent the time to "re-learn", it might be a different story...

I've played a Malmsteen Strat and a Steve Vai Jem that had scalloping above the 12th fret. Felt weird, but I could fret notes very easily with what seemed to be far less pressure. I'm told that this is the major drawback: once you get used to the scalloped frets it makes playing a normal guitar very difficult.

I think part of Malmsteen's tone comes from the scallop. I haven't personally tried one, but I bet you could really bend both by pushing the string towards while pushing it down into the fret, essentially a double bend, probably how he hits some of those crazy high notes on a 21 fret guitar.

I've read that Blackmore was a fan of the scalloped fretboard. I've read that they're really good for playing Indian music on a guitar too. Some have said that when you adjust to it, it can give you a big advantage. Others have said that it's useless for chords.

I'd certainly like to try one, but I'm aware that it's not going to transform me into Malmsteen any time soon.

I'd say that you'd need a light touch to stop it going sharp, but to play at M's speed you'd have to have a very light touch.

It would be easier to fret a note as there's no resistance there, but as said, it'd be hard to change back.

Agree with most of the above about re-learning, high frets being just as good etc. but I don't think you particularly need a special guitar to get his tone. It's all about 3 notes per string alternate picking, sweep picking and how you do the vibrato. Lots of players can do the classical rock thing with just about any electric guitar.

A buddy of mine scalloped the rest of the neck on his Jem 77V shortly after he got it brand new (around 1990 I believe)and everyone that's ever played it seems to like it. I think it allows for low action while still leaving plenty of room under the string to get a good grip on it when bending.

I have two guitars that have scalloped boards, and going back to a fretboard that isn't scalloped as long as the frets are tall is really not a problem

Yeah... I didn't seem to have any issues going from the lower register to the upper and back, it just felt weird. I aSSumed it would take quite a while playing exclusively on a scalloped fb to make it difficult.

/shrug

I'm going to hazard at this point that an afternoon in Guitar Center playing the Yngwie Strat and the Vai Jem does not constitute "quite a while". /chuckle

A freind of mine has a Blackmore strat and he just cant get on with it. He said it feels strange when playing cords ,Ive never played one but I may just make him an offer and take it of his hands because I will play anything and if I dont like it I will just hang it on wall with rest of my guitars, but Im sure id love it. \:D/

Archived