Gibson Brands Forums

are all guitar teachers jerks?

bluesrob

What is it about music teachers? Guitar teachers? All mine needs is monocle, a baton, and a pair of jackboots. He seems to live in the 19th century where a "maestro" can browbeat his students. "Just play the notes!" "Read the notes!" "You're busy? I don't care!" "You're going to learn these three pieces by next week!" He teaches at several colleges in the area. I normally like him for his dedication to music and his strictness about proper technique, but sometimes he just goes too far.

I'm just a guy learning to play the guitar. I have a full time job and I'm not a music major.

Just need to vent a little.

So, anyone else have horror stories about their guitar teachers? The burned out druggie? The "I'm too cool to teach you, but I'll do it for money" type?

Never took guitar lessons, so I have no idea. I've heard "horror" stories,

but, I've never experienced any, personally.

IF you are learning a lot, and progressing, steadily...and, faster than you

would, if left to your own devices...maybe(?) it's worth a "bad day," now and

again. I don't know...only YOU know that. Good Luck, whatever you decide. :unsure:

CB

I guess if you have a nasty teacher in school or college, you're kinda stuck with them. So I would say you just have to make the best of it.

But, if you're paying someone for private lessons that's different. It's important that you learn the material or you're wasting your money and their time. But it doesn't have to be unpleasant or uncomfortable. I'm sure there are other instructors who could teach you just as well without all the negativity.

I was lucky back when I took lessons as a teenager. My teacher was a graduate of Peabody Institute so he really knew his stuff. But he was also really cool and patient and lessons were always a pleasure with him.

I would think, the biggest thing (if it were me) is, to be sure

that (beyond the basics), your goals are compatible, and understood.

Especially, with a hired, private teacher. That might sound obvious,

but I've heard, time and again, from friends and other's, of unwanted

and/or unneeded friction, between instructor and student(s), due to a

lack of compatible, understood, goals.

But, a lot of really good instructors, are quite strick...AKA "Fascist!" [biggrin]

CB

The thing is that I normally get along with him. Like I said, I understand his dedication to music and his emphasis on proper technique. I wouldn't have gotten where I am now without lessons. But he can be difficult at times. And that, I think, is unprofessional. As a teacher he should have the same standards of conduct as any other teacher. If he's having a bad day, he should leave that at home and be a professional (he teaches at colleges, after all.)

I agree that the decision is mine. I'll just have to see if he gets back to his usual manner, which I can deal with.

If it doesn't work out with this guy, maybe you should give The Ludnuts a try [lol]

But seriously. I have a neighbor/friend who did some sign work for a local music teacher in exchange for free guitar lessons. He said the guy was so impatient and rude he never bothered going back after the second lesson even though he had more coming. Now I've been informally giving him lessons. More like just showing him songs and riffs and explaining a little theory too. I'm not a qualified teacher and would not try yo pass myself off as one. But he claims to learn more from me in 10 minutes than in whole lessons with that other "teacher". :-k

Never taken guitar lessons myself, but i have had instructors for 5th and 6th grade band (i played trombone)

Anyways our instructor in 6th grade was a ****! But, when we had our concert, he made us sound damn good.

The way I see it, instructors and teachers of any sort are supposed to push you, and if that involves being a ****, and if it works, so be it.

There's something I think everyone should always be acutely aware of. Some teachers do not fit with some students. It's inevitable, if your teacher's teaching style doesn't fit your learning style... well it's time to find another teacher. If they take affront to it, that's a shame, but wouldn't you rather be learning in an environment more conducive to your own style? A great teacher IMO will even encourage you to go take lessons from someone else, if just for a bit, to see the difference. I've never had a problem with mine, genuinely nice guy, and an incredible musician to boot. Being strict isn't the only way to encourage progress.

If your teacher is frustrating you to that extent, it's time to find a new one. Learning music should be fun, never a drill (especially when as you mentioned, you're not a professional musician).

I was never hard on people that I was teaching guitar to,I used to let them progress at their own speed.Pushing people who want to learn,especially children will turn them from the guitar rather than encourage them to play more.My nephew teaches guitar-he is recognized as one of the best local guitarists-and parents have come to him saying how much their kids like going for guitar lessons now.A lot of parents had taken their kids out of lessons from some teachers because they were impatient and overbearing.My nephew has made a name for himself being a great teacher just by word of mouth.He was another protege that I mentored.

Teachers should treat students who are in a college differently than what you describe. I can understand how your teacher gets this way though. I've been a professor now for nearly 15 years and I find that I've become more cynical. I sometimes think that students are very lazy and that I was never like that as a student. But maybe the older I get the better I used to be (he he he)!

I've been teaching my 10 year old son piano and guitar. He was turned off because I treated him like a college student. Now I try to let him go at his own pace. I also give him 5 minutes to just jam out, which he loves. He's moving on to an electric guitar now so he's very excited about it.

Here's the bottom line. Are there more positives than negatives with this teacher? If so, keep him. If not, move on to someone else.

Everybody is giving me great advice. Thanks, people! I'll see how it goes next week. Maybe he had a bad day. It's still unprofessional, but it happens. I hope it will be better next week. I really don't want another teacher. But I have my limits!

I think there are a number of variables here depending on what is expected from the curriculum on the part of the teacher vs on the part of the student.

Bottom line for how I taught was first to let the student know what I was teaching and if that wasn't what they wanted, I'd tell 'em. I didn't need the money and I did "need" students who wanted to learn what I had to teach. The same goes with other stuff I've taught for money one way or another.

But then you have to figure that everyone learns differently. Some respond better to vocal cues, some to visual cues; some to a bit of a bark and some to gentler tones. Etc., etc. Some, in fact, do best when they repeat the vocal cues and then work to convert that into performance. Visualization also helps even without "performance."

That's part of learning theory regardless the subject.

I've read that Segovia was a terrifying teacher in a master class. From the Youtube vids, I see him as more a doting father who had a bit of tongue in cheek. Perhaps that was just for the camera or... perhaps that in itself frightened very good guitarists when they were in the spotlight in front of others.

Also, I've only had a couple of official classes, both with classical guitarist Christopher Parkining ages ago when he was at a little college supposedly for a concert and several "master classes." I was the only sorta classical picker around since I did a few pieces and fingerpicked - so I was "it" for two classes.

The guy was strong but very kind, the same sort of wry humor ("You've been playing too much bluegrass") I now perceive in those youtube vids. I can never thank him enough for such kindness.

What more to say but I wish I'd always been so understanding with those I have taught various things.

m

I have never really had any formal lessons. I would classify myself as semi professional. been playing since age 12 , That was 48 years ago :rolleyes: I have jammed with some very talented guitarists over the years and have learned from them. I have run into the ego trippers and shredders and the too good to jam with you types.

Recently I started jamming with a pro, he has it all: jazz, blues, rock, classical, he is a very technical player, knows the guitar neck forward and backward. He has an excellent ear and very strong hands. Very good personality and easy to jam with and has been showing me some pretty technical stuff like 12 chord songs ( I usually play 3 to 4 chord stuff), finger picking techniques and some jazz. But basically he is a rhythm player.

On the flip side I have been teaching him too. I sing he doesn't, I play lead, his lead is poor to ok. So I teach him (he is not a very good student, his lead still sucks) My finger picking is different than his style but just as good if not better, he is constantly amazed at the riffs I make up. I am an innovator, he isn't, I start a song and finish it, he seldom does. He plays only cover, I write and create from scratch. He plays about 2000 hours a year I play about a 1000 hours.

But when it comes to rhythm and learning new (cover) songs he is my superior. It's not that I am learning a whole lot from him, i am re-learning things I forgot years ago and reinforces good fingering and chord habits. He definitely has more discipline and tenacity than I do, he is like a bulldog learning new chords or songs. Just won't quit until he has it down. Last but not least I can still still play fast leads and rythyms, he prefers a lot slower bpm. Regardless I really enjoy learning and jamming with this guy and will readily admit he is a better musician than myself.

Currently I am trying to learn the five major chord forms up and down the neck. At present I am only competent with about 3 chord postions per major . minor, 7hs etc on the neck. This guy is chord crazy.

Keep on Jammin!

Aside: I have two friends that I give lessons to every Friday, neither knew the guitar very well at all, but they have progressed to 12 bar blues and one has picked up the bass guitar.

I teach them how to hold the guitar and proper placement of fingers and basic chords. Its a blast

I have had a teacher off and on for the past year or so. Basically every couple of weeks and I really enjoy it.

The first day together we had a mutual understanding that we both have to be comfortable with each other or it won't work.

I wasn't immediately able to tell him what I wanted to learn because I wasn't sure. I had always played and learned by ear but knew I was stuck in one place and really was not evolving as a player.

Ben has a knowledge of the neck like I've never seen. He is primarily a jazz player but loves all things guitar and never tires of it.

I must admit that my own playing has improved by leaps and bounds and I have learned to teach myself much better as well.

He has certain expectations and rightly so but he is definitely not a jerk. His biggest downfall is that he spits when he speaks so I learned early to have him back off physically.

He has been teaching for many years and has told that I am one of the best students he has had and claims I'm a natural and too bad I dropped it for about 28 years.

I pay for one hour and usually get 2 or 3 hours. A lot of our time together is jamming and learning songs but there is always some formal work as well and I even teach him a thing or two sometimes.

All this to say that my experience has been very positive. Nope, not a jerk at all.

Oh yeah, he comes to my place so its perfect for me. I have the venue and all the equipment we need.

Dave

"What more to say but I wish I'd always been so understanding with those I have taught various things."

I second that Milod. I taught for 12 yrs.

When I was a kid in England in the 60s I was forced to take piano lessons.

The thing I remember most is the teacher always smashing down on my knuckles with a wooden ruler when I made a mistake. Somehow I didn't take to piano.

One day I walked in and she was holding a broken chair leg not a ruler.

I must have got through that day without any mistakes but I stopped as soon as they let me. That was when I was about 10.

When I went on to the big school they tried to interest me in classical guitar but I only remembered the ruler.

None of this is exaggerated one bit.

So I started learning guitar on my 21st.

Well, I am a jerk and a guitar teacher so from my point of view, statistics say guitar teachers are jerks :D

Jokes aside I know lots of guys that are jerks and then turn to teaching when nobody "in their league" wants to be close to them. Remember some guys that teach believe themselves to be masters, and some of those self proclaimed masters are the kind of guy who just won't admit to not knowing everything there is to know. That equation most surely gives jerks as result.:)

I try to keep an open mind and battle my own insecurities every day, I also try to learn something new every day and some days that new knowledge comes from my own pupils, I don't think I am a good player at all, and maybe that's why I'm not a jerk with my pupils.

I think you should talk to him and make it clear that you want to play and have fun, not be the next Prince. :D

No they're not. Like any group of people, you'll find all kinds there.

If it's not fun, you're with the wrong teacher, regardless of what you're learning/how you're progressing. If you've not had other teachers, you owe it to yourself to check out some others. See who you mesh with the best, and who can work with you towards your goals, as opposed to what they want to teach (this to me is the sign of a good teacher). Great that this one is a stickler for proper technique, but you don't need to sacrifice that in order to find a teacher more suited to you (who will make learning more enjoyable).

When I first picked up the guitar (around 8 years old I think), I went for a time to this horrid little house with this horrid fat lady as a teacher (I'd now kill for her guitar, it was an arch top Gibson from the 1950's with one or two P 90's in it!). She had me sight reading and picking one note songs from a book- (My Dog Has Fleas, La Cookaracha, etc. etc.). Might have been the Mel Bay Method, I don't recall. But the progress was painfully slow and oh so boring. I wanted to learn chords. She insisted that was later. I wanted to play popular current music. She insisted once I learned, I could play what I like. While her method would probably have gotten me there (if I didn't die from boredom), it was far far too slow and not forthcoming with what I wanted out of it. I gave up in a matter of months.

Something like 5 years later, my older sister brought around a friend of hers who played an acoustic (I wanted to play electric). But what he played was cool. I asked if he wanted to teach me, and he was flattered and said sure. We set up a weekly lesson that my parents gladly paid for (less money even years later than the witch from the other side of town). We started with a few chords and he taught me several songs (I bought my Sister's Harmony Acoustic from her). We got into bar chords, and that was where I sort of took off on my own, learning by ear. Went through a few electric guitars, lots of amps (a Marshall stack with 2 heads at the pinnacle), bands etc. Considered doing it as a living until my father talked me out of it (he also made the near pro musician decision as a drummer back in the Big Band era).

I still to this day lack a lot of fundamentals (from decades of not playing, and lack of discipline in playing) and it's frustrating sometimes. I am now working on picking up what I lack, and am finding most of what I need free on the Internet. Bottom line, I'm sort of doing the "self taught" thing, but actually am getting instruction from many (YouTube is your friend). There is so much material out there, the difficulty is in where to focus. But I'm making progress, and having fun. And I long ago learned that if I want to learn a song, I can do so, start to finish.

My current goal is to get some material down and be able to show up at local open mic/jams and not completely embarrass myself. I'm making progress to that end, and having fun doing it. I hope you too can work towards your goals and have fun in the process. The right instructor can most certainly help make that happen. The wrong instructor can suck the desire to play and the creativity from you. If I were you, based on your post, I'd shop around (not like this one won't take you back if you decide to come back after a break).

"Just play the notes!" "Read the notes!"

Yea, my bass teacher used to say that a lot. it went like this ".....SIGH........Martin - its easier just to read what's written down instead of trying to guess what it says or make something up, AND it makes the guy that wrote it down much, much happier."

I think the attitiude to reading rather depends on what the teacher is used to preparing students for. If you're looking to go on to a music program somewhere, they won't accept you unless you have at least a basic competence in reading. My teacher tought college music courses, and was used to getting students ready for further college music programs. Consquently, he thought everyone should read. I never got much of a hang of it myself, and lost 90% of my limited competance as soon as I stopped taking lessons.

I took lessons for about 6 months at a guitar shop. By choice, I would alternate between two instructors.

One was the shop owner. He had amazing technical skills and tended to emphasize theory.

The other was a working musician. He had less skill, technically, but I liked his mojo. He would suggest that I smoke a little before my lesson to help me settle into the blues that we were working on (I didn't of course eusa_liar.gif). The other instructor would never have done that.

Although they had entirely different approaches to teaching, I gained something from each of them. And I happened to liked both of them too.

Prior to that I took a few lessons from a guy that spent most of MY lesson time showing off or BSing. I reminded him several times what I was paying him per minute. It didn't sink in so I canned him.

I just signed up for 7 weeks of 3 hour classes. It cost me $140, through a local Tech School.

I talked to the instructor before signing up, and he seemed super motivating and interested in my voice and playing style.

I haven't had any lessons since I was 12, so I am stoked to see how this works out.

Great stories from so many people! I decided to finish out the semester and then work on my own. I'm able to learn songs by myself, and I know the basics of good technique. I think I need a break from my teacher and his moods, and he probably needs a break from me. Maybe someday I'll sign up with another teacher (my college has two guitar instructors) and see how it goes.

I'm glad to read about the many good teachers out there, and I hope to find one for myself someday!

I think you made a wise decision. Your instructors "moods' could only be a distraction and not at all constructive. Lessons are expensive and it's important that your time is spent efficiently. It should be fun too. It ain't Julliard after all. There are a lot of guys that teach out of there homes and that can cost less than with a teacher that rents studio time. It's just a matter of finding the right fit for the style that you're interested in.

Archived