Gibson Brands Forums

My new "SJ-200 Double Vine"

Jack6849

Yesterday I drove to La Crosse, Wisconsin to take delivery of a new "Vintage Natural" Gibson "ES-330" hollowbody electric. It's a great guitar and I love it.

While I was at Dave's Guitar Shop, I also picked up a new (2011) Gibson "SJ-200 Double Vine". (That's the model name printed on the orange interior label). If you like "bling", this is your guitar... My question is... Is my "SJ-200 Double Vine" a different model than an "SJ-200 Vine", or an "SJ-200 Custom Vine"? Or has Gibson just re-named this design?

Anybody got any specs on this? Mine is Sunburst and has beautifully-flamed Maple for its back, sides, and neck, as well as an intricate Abalone "vine" inlay pattern on its fretboard, and its pickguard. It also has eight-ply binding, and Abalone perimeter trim on its top, back, and sides (like a "45-Style" Martin). It's killer if you like that kind of thing, which I obviously do, but I don't exactly understand the "Double Vine" terminology.

Also in Gibson's on-line blurbs I've seen references to the binding having something called either "birdspeak" or "birdsbeak".... (I've seen it spelled both ways...) One of these spellings has to be a "typo", but does anyone here understand one of these terms as it might pertain to a guitar's binding?

I'll appreciate any information that might be available from knowledgeable Forum particpants.

If Liberace had played the guitar (he probably did....), he'd have loved this Gibson Custom Shop creation. He would've really "dug" the gold Grover Imperial tuners, with their engraved "Mother of Pearl" buttons. Too much!

"Over the top" on all fronts, it is ...

Thank you,

Jack6849

Yesterday I drove to La Crosse, Wisconsin to take delivery of a new "Vintage Natural" Gibson "ES-330" hollowbody electric. It's a great guitar and I love it.

While I was at Dave's Guitar Shop, I also picked up a new (2011) Gibson "SJ-200 Double Vine". (That's the model name printed on the orange interior label). If you like "bling", this is your guitar... My question is... Is my "SJ-200 Double Vine" a different model than an "SJ-200 Vine", or an "SJ-200 Custom Vine"? Or has Gibson just re-named this design?

Anybody got any specs on this? Mine is Sunburst and has beautifully-flamed Maple for its back, sides, and neck, as well as an intricate Abalone "vine" inlay pattern on its fretboard, and its pickguard. It also has eight-ply binding, and Abalone perimeter trim on its top, back, and sides (like a "45-Style" Martin). It's killer if you like that kind of thing, which I obviously do, but I don't exactly understand the "Double Vine" terminology.

Also in Gibson's on-line blurbs I've seen references to the binding having something called either "birdspeak" or "birdsbeak".... (I've seen it spelled both ways...) One of these spellings has to be a "typo", but does anyone here understand one of these terms as it might pertain to a guitar's binding?

I'll appreciate any information that might be available from knowledgeable Forum particpants.

If Liberace had played the guitar (he probably did....), he'd have loved this Gibson Custom Shop creation. He would've really "dug" the gold Grover Imperial tuners, with their engraved "Mother of Pearl" buttons. Too much!

"Over the top" on all fronts, it is ...

Thank you,

Jack6849

Aw, MAN! I saw the title on this post and couldn't wait to see your J200!

Where are the pics?

We definitely need some pics!

+1

In the meanwhile, if you do a search on YouTube, you can see some videos of the Double Vine in action, and compared to a bunch of other J-200 variants.

-- Bob R

+1

In the meanwhile, if you do a search on YouTube, you can see some videos of the Double Vine in action, and compared to a bunch of other J-200 variants.

-- Bob R

it's funny how only asian guys have the kind of cash to get those guitars.

I have nothing against asians I'm just pointing it out .

JC

I will post pix on Sunday. I've got out-of-town gigs, both tonight (Friday) and tomorrow night. With all the "bling", this guitar is not for everyone, but I love it, and it is a stunning work of the luthier's art, for sure.

I'll be home Sunday afternoon, and I'll try to get some pix taken and posted then.

Any more info on the specs of different "Vine" models would be appreciated, also. Thanks for the interest. It makes a new purchase more fun when I get to share it with other Gibson lovers.

BTW My new "Vintage Natural" (Blonde) "ES-330" is also killer, but it has virtually no bling. I love them all...

Thanks,

Jack6849

And what you Mexicans don't?

lol sorry if you got offended ...

and I'm not mexican not even close ...I am actually from Long Island NY just so you know

but my heritage is not mexican either .

Are you asian ? ....

JC

NOte: Chuck Norris' real name is Carlos :P and he ain't mexican !!!!!!!!!!!

lol sorry if you got offended ...

and I'm not mexican not even close ...I am actually from Long Island NY just so you know

but my heritage is not mexican either .

Are you asian ? ....

JC

NOte: Chuck Norris' real name is Carlos :P and he ain't mexican !!!!!!!!!!!

I just wanted to show you how your Asian line could be interpreted as a little on the racist side, sorry if I offended anyone.

Here are some pix of my new "SJ-200 Double Vine":

doublevineuprightfront.jpg

doublevineuprightback.jpg

doublevinefullfront.jpg

doublevinefullback.jpg

doublevinefrontclose.jpg

doublevinebackclose.jpg

As I said, "Bling Is The Thing" on this guitar, but it is also a true Masterpiece of Gibson craftsmanship. The person who photographs the inventory for Dave's Guitar Shop, in La Crosse, Wisconsin was nice enough to send me jpegs of the photos he took of my "SJ-200 Double Vine" for the website. As you can see, there is one "Vine" inlayed on the fretboard and another on the pickguard. Perhaps that's why they call it a "Double Vine". I'm really not sure.

Whatever... anyway, its tonewoods are as "upscale" as its inlays (if that's possible....), and the sound of this guitar is just as phenomenal as its appearance.

Just an amazing guitar.

Thanks,

Jack6849

doublevinefullfront.jpg

As I said, "Bling Is The Thing" on this guitar, but it is also a true Masterpiece of Gibson craftsmanship. The person who photographs the inventory for Dave's Guitar Shop,in La Crosse, Wisconsin was nice enough to send me jpegs of the photos he took of my "SJ-200 Double Vine" for the website. As you can see, there is one "Vine" inlayed on the fretboard and another on the pickguard. Perhaps that's why they call it a "Double Vine". I'm really not sure.

Whatever... anyway, its tonewoods are as "upscale" as its inlays (if that's possible....), and the sound of this guitar is just as phenomenal as its appearance.

Just an amazing guitar.

Thanks,

Jack6849

Dang! I want one!

doublevineuprightfront.jpg

doublevineuprightback.jpg

doublevinefullfront.jpg

doublevinefullback.jpg

doublevinefrontclose.jpg

doublevinebackclose.jpg

As I said, "Bling Is The Thing" on this guitar, but it is also a true Masterpiece of Gibson craftsmanship. The person who photographs the inventory for Dave's Guitar Shop,in La Crosse, Wisconsin was nice enough to send me jpegs of the photos he took of my "SJ-200 Double Vine" for the website. As you can see, there is one "Vine" inlayed on the fretboard and another on the pickguard. Perhaps that's why they call it a "Double Vine". I'm really not sure.

Just an amazing guitar.

Thanks,

Jack6849

Thats a Sweet One... I would buy one of those.. Did you buy that one?

Daves a Great guy.. Hes bought a few Vintage pieces from me in the past that are in his Collection now..

Holy - Moly - Joly! That truly is a work of art. Problem I would have with a guitar like that is, I would be so afraid of dinging it up that I wouldn't play it like supposed to be played. Beautiful man, Congrats!

The name "Double Vine" comes from the fact that the vine is abalone shell and it has a boarder around it in Mother Of Pearl. The design was the brain child of the lady that programed the CNC machines. She did all the shell cutting on CNC as well. This is very intricate work and it is probably the best design out there. You have a beautiful guitar. The Specs are the same as the J-200 vine amd all J-200's as far as body size and shape. The main difference is the "Double" design. The pictures are great and I bet she sounds as good as she looks.

Archived